• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

no fire on plugs 98 rmk 700

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
I have a 1998 rmk 700 that I was riding last weekend, it was running great and having no problems, when all of a sudden it died on me, like I hit the kill switch. After that, it would not start. I'm not getting any spark from the plugs. I tried new plugs, but still no spark. Any ideas?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
unscrew the plug caps from the wires and check to see if both are making contact. if one is broke the sled will not run... Had that happen a few times before.

A fix for it is to cut the wires back about 1/4 inch and screw the caps back on.

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
I unplugged the black wire from CDI and still not getting any spark on the plugs. Plug wires looked to be making good contact but I cut 1/4" off both ends of both wires just to make sure and still no spark.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Is there a way to check the stator?

You can do some resistance checks with an ohmmeter to verify the coils in the stator are not open or shorted. I can give you the specs on the 99 RMK and I'm sure the 98 specs are the same.

Brn to Y -------- 0.12 t0 0.15 ohms
Brn to base-------0 ohms
W to Grn---------5.3 to 6.0 ohms
W to Base--------0 ohms
R to Blue---------150 to 190 ohms
R to Base--------open
Blk---------------open

The main one you are interested in is the R to Blue as that is the coil for the ignition.

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
You can do some resistance checks with an ohmmeter to verify the coils in the stator are not open or shorted. I can give you the specs on the 99 RMK and I'm sure the 98 specs are the same.

Brn to Y -------- 0.12 t0 0.15 ohms
Brn to base-------0 ohms
W to Grn---------5.3 to 6.0 ohms
W to Base--------0 ohms
R to Blue---------150 to 190 ohms
R to Base--------open
Blk---------------open

The main one you are interested in is the R to Blue as that is the coil for the ignition.

I'm open on R to Blue. The rest are in spec to what you have above.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I'm open on R to Blue. The rest are in spec to what you have above.

That means the ignition coil in the stator is shot so that is why there is no spark. You need a new or replacement stator. I looked in the swapmeet section on here under Parts/Accessories; Engine/Engine parts and there are some available.

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It wouldn't hurt to take the stator out and check the wiring connections in there before you look for a different one. It could be that a solder connection from the red or blue wire to the coil wire has just come apart and you could fix it.

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
Nice job retiredpop!!! It's help like that,that is one of the reasons this site is so great!!

Brushfit - how right you are. Being a newbie to snowmobiling, that's exactly why I joined this forum.

It wouldn't hurt to take the stator out and check the wiring connections in there before you look for a different one. It could be that a solder connection from the red or blue wire to the coil wire has just come apart and you could fix it.

Retiredpop - Thanks for all your help. I'll check that out since I would have to have to tear it apart to replace the stator anyway, just as well make sure connections are good before purchasing one.

A
Jan 4, 2011
check where ur plug wires come out of the coil they some time break there but is still looks alright the wires unscrew from the coil just the same way that the plug cap unscrews from the wire

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
Ended up being the stator. Replaced it this weekend and now it's running great again. Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

sled_guy - I'm glad I didn't bet you :)

Premium Features