• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1990 SKS DROP & ROLL

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I just bought a 90 sks 650 and was wondering if you can drop & roll it.? It looks like the jack shaft would have to be below the bulk head. Does anyone have plans for a drop and roll. I am making this sled my poker run / spring sled.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have 9 th drivers what size drivers do I need to run a 1 1/2 144 track? My skid frame has a adjustment knob at the rear for spring tension does anyone know about this skid.Any info on my new prodject would be helpful. How do triple pipes work in the mts. 3000 to 6000 ft elevation 28 to 32 deg temp and if so which brand ? I want to cut off the running boards to install wider ones and move the heat exchanger under the tunnel.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You can drop and roll the chaincase. I have a set of templates I believe for it if you would like them. They move the top shaft in to the tunnel. Another option that we did was to put one of the domestic twin chaincases... like from 1997-2001 on them. You can leave the top shaft in place and gain some clearance at the bottom.

The rear skid has a bolt to adjust spring tension which was replaced by tension blocks later on. Same principle, tighter gives you more preload and less sag in the rear.

Triple pipes worked great on the 650, something like 20hp gain or the likes. SLP made a set that worked well, PSIs were great, but thin and blew through pretty quick. I think the Decker triples were nearly an exact copy of the SLP ones.

No one will have them new, but you might find them used. The SLP triples for the 650 were different than for the 600. The 650 set had a 'torque tube' that extended down right by the header flanges. If you find used ones, make sure they are for the 650 not the 600.

sled_guy

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If you are going to go to the bother, you might consider installing an Xtra-Lite / Edge rear skid for either a 136" and add extensions, or find one that originally fit the 144". The old skid won't have the travel of a new one. Yeah yeah, you can add gas shocks, but when you start getting into the big whoops, you'll thank yourself if you have more travel to soak it up.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
How far will the new style chain case lower the track? Yes I would be interested in the templates. Should there be any play in the brake rotor and shaft? The keyway and splines look good but the spline on the shaft is bigger than the key allowing the rotor to move back and forth.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I'll see if I can find those templates.

I can't remember off the top of my head how much longer the newer chaincase is.

On those old indys the key way in the rotor or shaft would get worn, causing it to float back and forth. Not much to do about it. Installing a new key can sometimes tighten it up.

sled_guy

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The key way in the shaft and the rotor look good and all so the key. The key fits the rotor good but has alot of play on the shaft. I was just wondering if the shaft was off a different model? Please keep me posted on the template.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
If your looking for pipes for the 650 go over to Snowmobilefanatics.com There are at least 4 sets for sale over there right now.

Premium Features