• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

dies after riding about 3-4 miles

N
Feb 18, 2017
illinois
so I first want to say hi and thank you to every one who responds second I would like to say I have done a lot of searching about my problem but it seams there isn't one like this one so like the title says it dies after 3-4 miles running It loses spark and it need to cool down before re starting and then it only runs for a little bit and then dies again I mean loses spark so I tried unplugging kill switch and ignition switch still no difference I also want to say this has been a problem for a while there was two stators put in a voltage regulator and a ecu put in I have tried backing pins out of the conector next to the ecu and trying to single out a problem but seam to have created another one or made it worse I put it all back to geather like factory and now wont start I get a initial spark and then no bang or another spark only sparks one time when I pull and sometimes its two pulls and I get a spark I have great fuel pressure and I don't know what to do seams like no one wants to work on them I would love the input thank you guys

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Fix the last thing you messed with -- Then

So right now it won't run at ALL ?

Seems like you messing with the connector caused this problem. Fix the connector then get it to run cold again.

Plug wires / Plug Boots / Coil ?

Wires and boots are cheap and easy to get to.

Are your plug wires touching anything ?

When it warm ups they could be shoritng out.

When it dies does it shut down hard or start missing first ?

memyself2

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2013
Sudbury ,Ontario ,Canada
No spark

Did you get it sorted out?
My 05 Fusion 900 was doing the same thing.
Did you put in a new stator or a used one?
I found that my original stator wires had rubbed through the insolation and would all of a sudden die. A short while later it would restart.
I patched up the wires and was good for 1000 miles or so, till the problem returned.
By this time I had purchased a used parts engine at a good price, just in case. I removed the stator from the parts motor as it looked to have been newly replaced. After inspecting it, approximately 30% of the wires in it's harness were broken.
I think it was an aftermarket stator and the wire used in it's construction was not flexible enough.
I then replaced all the wires in it's harness with better quality wire, and knock on wood it has been perfect for the past 2000 or so miles.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
My pro was doing the same thing. It ended being all the ground wires on the shock tower.

Premium Features