• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handguards: Why/Why not?

Why don't you use handguards?

• Ineffective

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • Cost

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Interference

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • They Break

Votes: 98 54.1%
  • Other

Votes: 26 14.4%

• Total voters

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I would on my sled - but I don't see how you can put them on the standard RMK bars. The flange for the mountain strap is in the way. Neither of the lock and ride style mounts will work and neither did a standard powermadd set I had. So I've been handguard-less. Great when I'm in the woods but I have to take a trail to get there and have had some frosty hands on the rides back to the truck at the end of the day.

Umm, well crap. I must have done something wrong. I have stock Polaris handguards with the lock and ride feature mounted on my wife's standard RMK with stock bars. They are a bit of a tight fit and the angle isn't perfect but they work.
Even my wife is getting tired of them breaking though. She's on her third set. One plastic guard split when she smacked a tree (logical) one post between the guard and the quick mount broke because a too helpful friend rolled her sled before taking the guards off, another one broke that same place the other day just screwing around in a field. So, they are a nuisance. And the stock Polaris ones are very touchy. Just the least bit of too much tension on the lock and ride clamp and the ears bust off. I put a piece of foam tape on her bars to provide a little extra cushion and that stopped breaking the clamps.

B
The ones that come with the snow check are garbage absolutely terrible throw them away before even installing them I love these msr dirt bike guards I've broken a brake handle and have busted some knuckles in the trees and not since tuning these I highly recommend them to anyone interested in handguards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 195

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
You dont need hand guards unless you are riding trails all day long. Any kind of off trail riding will break them off in a matter of minutes if you ride somewhat hard.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Always a place for them in the tight trees. Rox and Skinz don't disintegrate on contact.

sconnierider

Premium Member
Nov 10, 2010
Madison, WI
I swear.....

My factory Po guards virtually broke with the brush of my brothers glove on a bitter cold Wisconsin night. We just looked at each other and laughed, I mean what else can you do? Will never buy them again.

Anybody want to buy the one remaining handguard before I take it to the pistol range?

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
hand guards

Love my skins. I am a big baby when it comes to cold hands. I use the soft skinz and they don the job for me.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Nooby

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I run maier deluxe wood pro handguards on my quad. Lots of coverage. Might try them on my axys.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
One of my sledding buddies races for sherco and just seen his bike has the CYCRA bark busters. Very nice coverage and the aluminum bar curves down on the end,where it goes to the bars, you're hand can go off the side of the bars and not hit the aluminum bar really like that. I will be trying them out this winter. Got to love extra parts.

Premium Features