• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

summit sport 800 not hitting hi rpm

S
Feb 6, 2018
i have a 2012 summit sport power tek 154 when i took my sled out for the first ride it ran like junk even with fuel stabilizer, finally got it running good but now when i rip across the field wide open it hits 8200-8300 rpm as it should but only for a couple minutes of riding then it doesnt go past 7000-7500 if i stop for a minute go again it hits the right rpm but only for a minute then drops back down i have tried changing my clutch weights lots but still only hits for a minute any idea what else this could be?

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
So it sounds like your over reving, is your belt adjusted right, what is your adjustable primary set at

S
Feb 6, 2018
my primary weights are set at 4 usually i ride on two around here but its not over reving on my 12 ptek peak power is 8200 little more then the etecs and once driving it only hits 7000-7500 so its under reving i was thinking possibly a fuel filter being plugged but not sure how to get to the fuel filter on that machine

S
Feb 6, 2018
I USUALLY run clickrers at 2 around home i have it on 4 right now and they all rev out around the 8200 and on my sled the sticker on the clutch cover says 8200 rpm its a ptek i know the etecs are 7900 i have a few friends with the etecs, and i dnt think it is over heating as it should be cooling when im driving in the powder. if the primary main spring was warn out would it work for a few minutes then back off? the other day when it dropped to 7400rp and would go any more i stopped with it idling for about 30 seconds then pinned it and it took off normally but same as usual it only lasted for about a minute then dropped again could this possibly be a lack of fuel not flowing fast enough

S
Feb 6, 2018
i have only burnt a tank throught it this year not even could it be bad fuel? i put fuel stabilizer in at the end of last year

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
I siphon all the fuel out and start them up and let them idle until they quit I don't let the fuel sit in the carbs all summer long, I just got a a 15 fuel injection and I'll put a gallon of race fuel in after I drain it and let it run for a while and let it sit for summer

S
Feb 6, 2018
it has 3600km and ya i have always put fuel stabilizer in but i have been seeing more and more posts about people not using it so i may have to try draining it as u guys are saying this year. i havent had any issues before until this year

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
I'd take both clutches of clean and inspect them, if all is good get some fresh fuel in it and run it ,then tell us what it's doing

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
My guess is worn clutch components, specifically the sliding sheave bushing. It could also be sticking or malfunctioning exhaust valves or sticking DPM solenoid. More than likely, it's the clutch.

Premium Features