• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to adjust the stock rear suspension on an 09 XP with a 174 3"

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
This sled is an 09 and had a 163x2.5 track with the upgraded 2010 skid front shock and the scissors relocate kit on it.
I just recently installed a 174x3" track with 174 Ice Age rails. I flipped the bracket over and re drilled the hole for the skid front mount,(Down and back), I dropped the skid rear mount down 1 1/8", I did NOT reinstall the scissors relocate. I installed new Heavy Duty torsion springs, and put 4 newer shocks, (600 mi. on them) on the sled.
It feels like it trenches and doesn't have any ski pressure, when riding in deep snow, it carries the ski's fairly high, and feels difficult to ride. On the harder pack snow it seams to push really really hard, again feels like no ski preasure. Limiter strap is at it's longest. I have rode other 174x3" sleds, and I don't remember them pushing this hard.

I am just looking for advice, or recomendations from guys that have tried this 174x3" setup with stockish suspension, to see what you did to get your suspension to work. Thank.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Push

Shorten the limiter strap and reduce the spring tension on the front shock.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
How much do you weigh?

I am 215# not suited and I found the heavy torsion springs to be too much. I run stock XM springs on my '09.

They are also 3lbs lighter.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
set limiter so there is little/no free play at rest in garage...
get DS2 or DS3 skis
set center shock on lowest preload-BJ

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
I weigh 265lbs with no gear. I am running DS2 ski's. The limiter is all the way out, and there is no sag or play in the limiter while resting on the shop floor, (It is tight). The front skid shock is at it's softest setting. The rear heavy duty torsion springs are on the stiffest.

When I pick the track up off the floor in the shop and set it back down, the front of the track touches the floor just barely before the middle/back touches the floor. It really almost touches the whole track at the same time, but the front is just a hair sooner.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Push

Increase preload on the ski shocks and/or suck in the limiter one step at a time until you have some pressure on the skis.

Between the new skid frame mounting points and the profile of the new rails there may be some geometry changes you have to compensate for. Compare your set up to a 2016 T3 and try to replicate what the OEM did.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I weigh 265lbs with no gear. I am running DS2 ski's. The limiter is all the way out, and there is no sag or play in the limiter while resting on the shop floor, (It is tight). The front skid shock is at it's softest setting. The rear heavy duty torsion springs are on the stiffest.

When I pick the track up off the floor in the shop and set it back down, the front of the track touches the floor just barely before the middle/back touches the floor. It really almost touches the whole track at the same time, but the front is just a hair sooner.

OK

pull limiter up 1, set center shock spring preload at minimum, retest-BJ

Premium Features