• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"The Gizmo" Is dead '09 800 with the kit burned down.

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
Hi my name is Owen and I'm polaris partsaholic. We should all start a help group for each other. My '09 failed again today stuck the pto side about a mile from the pickup. Let it warm up over a hundred degrees before taking off. Made it about a mile, I've had the kit on for the last 4 rides. Put it on after having the motor apart for a new crank and my third primary clutch of the year. Along with the new motor mounts that the clutch took out. I'm so diappionted with this thing. What can we do? :brokenheart::face-icon-small-fro

Last edited by a moderator:

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
how much oil are you going through, I have one with over 1700 miles and no problems, mine goes through oil

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
Coolant bypass gizmo

I've been going through normal amounts of oil haven't measured it out or anything, It's prob. set at the factory ratio, as I have not adjusted it. Factory set up is around 65:1? that seems awfully low on lube. Prob. need to be at least 40:1 or more?

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Hi my name is Owen and I'm polaris partsaholic. We should all start a help group for each other. My '09 failed again today stuck the pto side about a mile from the pickup. Let it warm up over a hundred degrees before taking off. Made it about a mile, I've had the kit on for the last 4 rides. Put it on after having the motor apart for a new crank and my third primary clutch of the year. Along with the new motor mounts that the clutch took out. I'm so diappionted with this thing. What can we do? :brokenheart::face-icon-small-fro

What fix are you referring to? What else is done to the sled?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I've been going through normal amounts of oil haven't measured it out or anything, It's prob. set at the factory ratio, as I have not adjusted it. Factory set up is around 65:1? that seems awfully low on lube. Prob. need to be at least 40:1 or more?

That's where mine was set. Thankfully I had added quite a bit of oil of oil to the tank for the first 2 rides before I could make an accurate assesment of oil-fuel ratio.

The are a few other things I would look at with repeat engine failures:

1) Fuel pressure verified to spec
2) Fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested

The other strikingly large annamoly with your sled is 3 clutches in one year? Something very abnormal is going on with this sled unless you are riding 5,6,7 thousand miles a year.

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
Clutches

Shadow I'm refering to the coolant gizmo as the fix.

Dave my clutch issues started with the first one seperating at the base or the inner sheave and the next one got mangled when my crank, motor mounts broke. I'm on #3 right now.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Sounds like a good time to rebuild it with the "The REAL FIX!"= PMS Kit
Do you have a PCV on it? I have been watching and reading the threads for over a year now and I think if you cure the lean fuel problem(PCV) and limit the piston slap(PMS Kit) it might just be combo that makes these sled a winner! IMO
How bad is the cylinder?

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Sounds like a good time to rebuild it with the "The REAL FIX!"= PMS Kit
Do you have a PCV on it? I have been watching and reading the threads for over a year now and I think if you cure the lean fuel problem(PCV) and limit the piston slap(PMS Kit) it might just be combo that makes these sled a winner! IMO
How bad is the cylinder?

It has been my opinion that the "gizmo" would NOT fix the issues.

I have been very happy with mine after adding a PCV, have almost 700 miles w/o squeaking a piston now. I also think that the PMS is a great option to fix the piston clearance/failure issues.

My opinion the PCV and PMS will fix most of the issues with these 8's.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd

I have been very happy with mine after adding a PCV, have almost 700 miles w/o squeaking a piston now. I also think that the PMS is a great option to fix the piston clearance/failure issues.

i agree. i have said since the beginning that they were overstating a problem. that being said. this is the first i have heard of going down after the gizmo:face-icon-small-con

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co

Skibreeze- So did you get your D8 back together? I got a chance to ride a Doo last year. And it handles way different than my D8. Also didn't you coat your piston to control the piston slap? and if so who did it and what does that cost?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I did, rode it this w/e. I did send my pistons to Swain tech and had them coated on the tops and the heavy skirt buildup. So far, so good.

E

escape6875

Dec 29, 2007
Twisp,Wa
Another one bites the dust...3-4-2011

Something to share,
My friend has a 09/10 D8 with the update.
About 1500 miles total on sled. That includes pre-update mileage.
Single ring pistons.
Lost a piston skirt, pistons had Eleven thousands clearance.
Yep Eleven wrote here in long hand so not to be thought a mistake.
I think Polaris spec's are six thousands max.
Polaris bought him a short block.
Short block= Head, Cylinder, Pistons, Rods, Crank, Case half's. Assembled

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Something to share,
My friend has a 09/10 D8 with the update.
About 1500 miles total on sled. That includes pre-update mileage.
Single ring pistons.
Lost a piston skirt, pistons had Eleven thousands clearance.
Yep Eleven wrote here in long hand so not to be thought a mistake.
I think Polaris spec's are six thousands max.
Polaris bought him a short block.
Short block= Head, Cylinder, Pistons, Rods, Crank, Case half's. Assembled

And that 11 THOUSANDTHS is consistent with DYNOTECH Jim's findings on a LOW mileage customer's 09 800, it had TWELVE THOUSANDTH'S piston to wall.

Un-friggin believable!!

Now I can see wear accounting for a little of that, but it looks like POLARIS was assembling these at around .010" and shipping them out the door.

For the guys thinking that extra oil pre-mixed into the tank and coolant temp control are going to remedy a piston-wall gap the size of the Grand Canyon need to take a second look........................

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
For the guys thinking that extra oil pre-mixed into the tank and coolant temp control are going to remedy a piston-wall gap the size of the Grand Canyon need to take a second look........................

What about those who are not running around with excessive clearences but are running around with oil cap vents not opening when they should or those who have repeated air line bubbles in their oil supply lines?

Premium Features