• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Big Boy" Torsion Springs on IQ: Inputs??

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
tri city polaris use to make a rising rate block for the front of the springs helped a lot for us bigger people

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
part #'s

Sean, What are the part #'s for the heavier springs? My sled sags a bit to much and I'm running 235 on a good day.:):beer;

Thanks
Mark

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
I see the 375 I think are 7041942-067, 7041943-067.

Would the 375's be ok or would I need the 405's???

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
thanks for the inputs guys..i will go this route for sure..all depends on $$, no one has as much as Nolan. ;)

What can I say! I just know what I want out of life! If I put money here I have to sacrifice somewhere else thats all. I have 1 sled with some goodies. You have umpteen sleds/bikes/trucks! Wanna switch straight up? lol jm. Like I said before; you can't go upgrading everything to highhell because im getting tired of having to one up you. I worried im not going to be able to keep up with you on this trip we are going to take this winter.

Go with the big boy springs and enjoy!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

Sean, What are the part #'s for the heavier springs? My sled sags a bit to much and I'm running 235 on a good day.:):beer;

Thanks
Mark

Stock Torsion Spring .359/77 degree
Light Torsion Spring .347/77 degree
Heavy Torsion Spring .375/77 degree # 7041942 & # 7041943 (L&R)

"Big Boy" .405/77 degree #7041940 & 7041941 (L&R)

I see the 375 I think are 7041942-067, 7041943-067.

Would the 375's be ok or would I need the 405's???

personally, if i am going to get the big boy springs, i am going for the stiffest ones...but i am a fatty..lol...

there are guys running the fatty springs i read in teh past and they were 200 w/o gear??

What can I say! I just know what I want out of life! If I put money here I have to sacrifice somewhere else thats all. I have 1 sled with some goodies. You have umpteen sleds/bikes/trucks! Wanna switch straight up? lol jm. Like I said before; you can't go upgrading everything to highhell because im getting tired of having to one up you. I worried im not going to be able to keep up with you on this trip we are going to take this winter.

Go with the big boy springs and enjoy!

HA!!
Nice...well, like i said, i have to have something to dump money in..shoot, lol..

i will out due you one day..well actually i will tomarrow, i have my sled 20 ft away from me..LOL!!!

we will work the trip details..EVERYONE needs to get in on this..i cant be the only one that wrecks their sled! :cool:

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
Skagit Valley Polaris put them on my 09 D8 163; some people thought they seemed very stiff on the showroom floor, Until I got on it!!!:eek: Anyway they seem to make a huge difference from my 2007 suspension. After a few rides the suspension loosened up and is very fluid and responsive. I'd recommend them seemed to work well. Probably saves some punishment on the stock shocks? If not helps the suspension work more like the designed range?

I am wondering with aftermarket suspensions is there still a torsion spring? If not what are the provisions for us big boned, 185 at heart, guys???

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
HA!!
Nice...well, like i said, i have to have something to dump money in..shoot, lol..

i will out due you one day..well actually i will tomarrow, i have my sled 20 ft away from me..LOL!!!

we will work the trip details..EVERYONE needs to get in on this..i cant be the only one that wrecks their sled! :cool:

Sean your sled is sick no matter what you say! I know im googlie eyed over it all the time!

Right now im 10 hours away from my "sled". Its more like just a tunnel/bulkhead. And a few days away from my engine. Who knows when I will get it all back together. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dont wan't to hyjack your thread so send me a PM

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
I am wondering with aftermarket suspensions is there still a torsion spring? If not what are the provisions for us big boned, 185 at heart, guys???

Nope, torsion springs are eliminated in suspension such as the HOLZ/Timbersled/Ez ride. The loss of torsion springs is compensated by heavier air shocks or heavier springs/coilovers and better geometry.

-Nolan

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
SO..

just used the search function (like i should have done) and found out that the p/n i listed above for the .405 springs are for a 77 degree angle..and the ones i have writen in my "wish list" are 7041655-067 and 7041656-067 (L&R) and they are 90 degree angle..

that being said, some said the 90 are wider and may come in contact with the upper wheel, but would the 77 degree be much different being narrow or create a longer travel..

any one have any input on the 2, at least which is recommended for an RMK 900..for a "fatty" lol..

thanks as always..

(link to the thread i found) http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112789

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
You should also consider the 7042079/7042080 torsion set. They use a tighter spring leg angle which gives you a little more preload at the top of the skids travel.This helps a couple things...it allows you to run the spring on a softer setting and still supports you and the sled properly which extends the life of the spring. The spring will also have more effect at the beginning of travel which helps eliminate the dead spot all these skids have-this unsprung/undampened area of travel is a big reason why the IQ was a bit on the wild side with weight transfer-to much scissor collapse right off the bat.
These are our go to springs for any one over 220#(which I'm one of by the way!) I have a full season on them in my turbo 163 and they are still on the soft setting-haven't had to add any more pre load since installation which indicates that they are not "sacking out".

curt

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
How about save the $$ and put in a few extra laps around the firehouse J/K! HAHA couldn't help myself !

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
there are guys running the fatty springs i read in teh past and they were 200 w/o gear??

That's what I am. Just run on the softest block setting. I like it way better than the stockers, seems a lot more responsive. plus I can always switch the block to a stiffer setting down the road. had to run the stockers on the stiffest setting and still felt they were lagging and definately too much sag imo

C
Oct 22, 2008
MN
So "my friend" is around 275lbs and he wants it stiffer in the back, he has a 07 rmk 600 155-should he run the biggest springs for his fat a$$ part# 7041942-067 & 7041943-067 or is there a better spring. And should he put the carls front track spring on the sled also.

He says thanks in advance

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Curt Really knows his stuff on the Polaris skid setups... probably better than anyone out there that I know.

I'd follow his lead without hesitation on this.

Part numbers
7042079-067 Spring, Torsion, LH, STD [.375/47 °]
7042080-067 Spring, Torsion, RH, STD [.375/47 °]

You should also consider the 7042079/7042080 torsion set. They use a tighter spring leg angle which gives you a little more preload at the top of the skids travel.This helps a couple things...it allows you to run the spring on a softer setting and still supports you and the sled properly which extends the life of the spring. The spring will also have more effect at the beginning of travel which helps eliminate the dead spot all these skids have-this unsprung/undampened area of travel is a big reason why the IQ was a bit on the wild side with weight transfer-to much scissor collapse right off the bat.
These are our go to springs for any one over 220#(which I'm one of by the way!) I have a full season on them in my turbo 163 and they are still on the soft setting-haven't had to add any more pre load since installation which indicates that they are not "sacking out".

curt

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

HA!...glad to see no one remembers that incident :D:beer;

curt

Hmm...interesting...so this would be better then the .405...good enough for me..thanks curt

How about save the $$ and put in a few extra laps around the firehouse J/K! HAHA couldn't help myself !

HAHA!! i do, do some laps around teh fire station,but its either for an emergency, or when the SODA locker is OPEN!! HAHA!! Thanks K..lol..

So "my friend" is around 275lbs and he wants it stiffer in the back, he has a 07 rmk 600 155-should he run the biggest springs for his fat a$$ part# 7041942-067 & 7041943-067 or is there a better spring. And should he put the carls front track spring on the sled also.

He says thanks in advance

i would tell your "friend" (i.e. YOURSELF, lol) that it would be an excellent upgrade for "him" to do it...and teh 225lb track spring is a MOST DO!!

Curt Really knows his stuff on the Polaris skid setups... probably better than anyone out there that I know.

I'd follow his lead without hesitation on this.

Part numbers
7042079-067 Spring, Torsion, LH, STD [.375/47 °]
7042080-067 Spring, Torsion, RH, STD [.375/47 °]

MUCH AGREED!!! thanks again MH for the help..i will see what i can do..

YOUR ALL AWESOME..thanks for the quick class and info..TOP NOTCH:beer;

Premium Features