• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ready for some propaganda from Polaris

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I spent quite a bit of time on the Alpha Cat last spring in different snow conditions. Impressive technology in some things but for me it still had a critical flaw. However many things came together to make it work more than just the single rail skid. The larger rear boggy really helps with rolling resistance, the new track with closed windows (opposite from everything else) didn't flex like skidoo's, didnt hold snow and the pitch (spacing between lugs) was set up for this sled, even the track approach angle was different helping it get up on the snow quicker. Even the new front skis were 2" shorter all combined to work together. Still one problem I had that I'm sure they are working on for future upgrades. Long story short....Impressed, but Im keeping my Axys.
Also rode the new 850 Axys in different riding conditions. Very impressed, If you bought one, you'll be impressed with the stock handling, if you do make changes, go slow with minor adjustments 1st. It reacts quickly to changes...

Impressed with the Alpha and Very impressed with the 850. I like the sounds of that ! Looking forward to this winter.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Are you going to let us in on the flaw of the Alpha?

Ok, Im not bashing the sled, and after my ride they took the feedback and probably working on something, or maybe it was just me so just take my opinion for what its worth...Pros and cons below:

The track as I mentioned doesn't flex like the Doo, which was a "pro". The one I rode had the 3" paddle with a 3.5 pitch (spacing between the lugs) which in the spring changing conditions I rode in worked very well, again a pro. The track also didn't have all the porting (holes cut out) which we are used too but did an excellent job of shedding the snow from the entire skid. This was a pro on "this" sled and skid, but on my Axys I need/prefer the porting so it's not apples to apples comparison. To compare the stock Cat or a Doo or Pol the same day I may have had 60lbs of wet heavy snow constantly turning inside the skid like a washing machine where this Alpha skid and track shed that snow quickly every revolution because the single rail (two rails sandwiched together with two side by side hyfax) in the middle didn't hold it like the conventional twin rails on everything else.
The skid when on flat ground can be pulled to the right or left about 17 degrees before the track leaves the ground. This "helps" but is not like the Doo flex thingy. This is one of the keys to the sled, but what I experienced was also a con. Let me "try" to explain...As your going across a steep sidehill (either side, but in this case left side against the hill) this skid and sled platform works very well, rolls over on its side easy, track hooks up, skid isn't holding snow and now you come across a stump, log or rock for example. (Where I ride this happens a lot) Now picture you cant go up because of an obstruction so you must go down and around it, (the sled rolls easy up to 17 degrees remember before the track leaves the ground) now if you "get" off camber (tilted down instead of towards the hill) the sled actually "helps" you roll off camber "Down" hill 17 degrees and its much harder to recover until you get pointed straight down. Which sometimes your trying to avoid because of some other obstruction or cliff. So in this case its a con for me, maybe critical flaw was harsh, but it was really hard for me to recover in this situation. Maybe more seat time and experiance on the sled would help. Im sure Im doing a bad job of explaining this so I wish I had a video but I don't so flame on. The video I do have is just me talking about the features above after one of my rides.
The QS3 shocks upfront can be set at soft, med or hard, so it might be as easy as stiffening up the front springs or shocks to help compensate for this. I also don't know if the production shocks will be set up the same way this prototype was. These are some of the reasons I didn't want to bring this up. However, this same issue actually makes it easier to turn down and switch directions on the same hill. So if thats something you need in that situation then that part is a pro.
More pros: the track pitch required a different driver which seems to gear the sled down, making it snappy compared to the stock Cat I rode back and forth. The front track attack angle is also changed getting the sled up on top of the snow quicker than the stock Cat. The controls were way better and easier to use with gloves on compared to the stock Cat. The sled also comes with a factory tether (why doesn't everything ?!). The rear boggy wheels are larger helping with less rolling resistance and snow evacuation and the front skis are 2" shorter to the rear also helping with handling.
So there you have it, same engine but lots of changes that all seem to work well together. Ill be honest, the snow "I" was in the sled was impressive and a big leap forward for Cat. Maybe you rode it in different snow or conditions. Im a firm believer that change and competition is good for us consumers. In the end, Im keeping my Polaris Axys, why? I already love the platform and the 860 Big bore in mine is just crazy on pump gas all year and never touched anything but clutching and I was out west riding for two months straight. After riding the new 850 Axys, the motor is better than the stock 800 in every area and the new front skid works as well or better than most of the aftermarket ones out there. Shocks could still be improved but there again I was riding prototypes sleds so just take all of this as my 2 cents..
Cant wait to ride my buddys production 850's and Alpha to compare! Riding a keyboard stinks, bring on winter!!

IMG_1213.jpg IMG_1214.jpg IMG_1212.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features