• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS check / adjust step by step.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I hooked power up and have 4.986 volts on the yellow to ground. Am I screwed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double check your connections, and make sure you have a good ground. Also make sure you have a good battery in the meter your using.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
well i thought i had a better meter but i was mistaken, will have to upgrade if i do the adjustments. sled ran at 5.03 volts and .93 idle... not sure if the voltage is off cause of my meter or if the sled is actually at high volts. dealer has idle at .932 so it's close or right on to dealer digital wrench, not sure cause my meter only goes to hundredths.
7ba3af7b4295f8dc69a4f83aece9eb69.jpg
77f09a2958f268bc5e408f4f680ae31c.jpg

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Double check your connections, and make sure you have a good ground. Also make sure you have a good battery in the meter your using.

I just went ahead and did everything as normal. The sled idles at 1800rpm now (previously 3300) and goes into reverse. Will ride it in some deep snow today, hope it works! Thanks for the thread, I really appreciate it!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
well i thought i had a better meter but i was mistaken, will have to upgrade if i do the adjustments. sled ran at 5.03 volts and .93 idle... not sure if the voltage is off cause of my meter or if the sled is actually at high volts. dealer has idle at .932 so it's close or right on to dealer digital wrench, not sure cause my meter only goes to hundredths. ]

The dealer set the idle to .932, did they tell you what the base is set at?

Most dealers almost never even check the base, and dont even set the idle correctly. Ive seen them hook up the computer, get the idle reading pulled up, then adjust the sensor to get to .930

FYI... the base reading is MUCH more important then the idle setting. The base is what sets the operating window of the sensor and is what fuel delivery is calculated from.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
The dealer set the idle to .932, did they tell you what the base is set at?

Most dealers almost never even check the base, and dont even set the idle correctly. Ive seen them hook up the computer, get the idle reading pulled up, then adjust the sensor to get to .930

FYI... the base reading is MUCH more important then the idle setting. The base is what sets the operating window of the sensor and is what fuel delivery is calculated from.

.698, this was what polaris wanted it set at, not the dealer. i think i have a throttle body issue, plates opening to far or not enough. need to verify.

kylehubert96

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2015
Adjustment was easy, takes more time pulling stuff off sled but done in hour, can’t get to pull above 8000 rpm and it will bog down at times. Hope this fixes it.
Did this fix your problem of 8000 rpm

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
FWIW, I'm in the process of making a TPS test kit to make checking and adjusting the TPS easier. The kit will include a TPS test cable that plugs in between the TPS and the harness with test leads, a power up cable and instructions to do it.

I'm currently waiting on a few items to make the TPS test cable so it'll be a few weeks before I have any ready to send out. I'll start a new thread, with Mountainhorse's or Scott's permission, or post a link to a thread in the swap meet section when I'm ready send the kits out. Pricing will be also be mentioned in this thread as I haven't calculated what the final cost plus shipping will be for US addresses. Of course shipping to Canada will probably be more.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
FWIW, I'm in the process of making a TPS test kit to make checking and adjusting the TPS easier. The kit will include a TPS test cable that plugs in between the TPS and the harness with test leads, a power up cable and instructions to do it.

I'm currently waiting on a few items to make the TPS test cable so it'll be a few weeks before I have any ready to send out. I'll start a new thread, with Mountainhorse's or Scott's permission, or post a link to a thread in the swap meet section when I'm ready send the kits out. Pricing will be also be mentioned in this thread as I haven't calculated what the final cost plus shipping will be for US addresses. Of course shipping to Canada will probably be more.

There was a guy awhile back building those. I have one. You powering up with a 9v or 12v through ECU?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
There was a guy awhile back building those. I have one. You powering up with a 9v or 12v through ECU?

12V battery via the ECU - I'm including a power up cable in the kit.

I remember, but haven't seen anything in a few years, so I decide to make/provide this kit.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
What’s your opinion on people using their $40 multi meters?

They may work fine they may not, that'll be a choice they will have to make.

I had a cheaper DMM (don't know the brand) that I used to check the base setting, but re-verified the base setting when I got my Fluke 177. Both meters had the same reading, FWIW..

IMO, if people are going to be testing the electrical systems on their sleds or anything else, they ought to at least have/borrow/buy a good quality multi meter.

Last edited:

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
What’s your opinion on people using their $40 multi meters?
That was the hardest part of the adjustment for me, took me 5 different meters to find one that read 5.01 and none of them were cheapos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

B
May 29, 2018
Beyond frustrated

In January I bought a used 2016 pro RMK 800. First ride out fouled a plug. Bought new plugs changed everything over was fine for about 50 miles then fouled agian. Sled also wouldn’t stay idling. But when it did idled around 1750. So I found this thread and did the work checked everything and was baffled because it would read in reverse. .702 at WOT and 4.??? At idle. I figured that I was the wrong sensor so I bought a new one and just tried installing it. When I get it to read .700 at idle it has no travel left in the sensor. I cannot figure out what is happening and have heard horror stories about the local dealership. What can I be doing wrong? Or is this thing cursed?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
In January I bought a used 2016 pro RMK 800. First ride out fouled a plug. Bought new plugs changed everything over was fine for about 50 miles then fouled agian. Sled also wouldn’t stay idling. But when it did idled around 1750. So I found this thread and did the work checked everything and was baffled because it would read in reverse. .702 at WOT and 4.??? At idle. I figured that I was the wrong sensor so I bought a new one and just tried installing it. When I get it to read .700 at idle it has no travel left in the sensor. I cannot figure out what is happening and have heard horror stories about the local dealership. What can I be doing wrong? Or is this thing cursed?

The .700 is the BASE setting, the idle adjustment screw must be backed off and the throttle cable disconnected at the flipper to verify or set the BASE setting. Once that is done or verified, reconnect the throttle cable to the flipper. Start turning the idle adjustment screw until you get a reading of .94 +/- .01 VDC.

I make a TPS test cable/kit that makes this easier to do, no guessing if you have the correct connector or wires and no poking hole in your wire harness. You can find info on the kits or test cable here.

Last edited:
B
May 29, 2018
I am working towards the base. Flipper unhooked. Idle screw backed off. Even removed the air box to make sure nothing is touching. The problem is the voltage is in reverse and I can not get it right. When at idle voltage is in the 4.??? Then when I pull the cable and max the butterfly’s open is reads .700. It is reversed from what it is supposed to be. That is what I can’t figure out. And if I set the BASE to .700 at full close no idle touching the tps is out of swing. As in it won’t rev up, it would only idle even farther back so when I set it to where it has pull it is reading backwards agian.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I think your probing the wrong wires. The wires are:

sensor power - Red/white wire

sensor ground - black/dark blue wire

sensor signal - Light blue wire

You need to have the mulitmeter positive lead (red) on the sensor signal and the ground lead (black) on the sensor ground.

Last edited:

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
TPS Adjust

Hey guys,

I've checked and adjusted my TPS a few times with this method and each time it has worked just fine. In prep for the season I went to test it this time and when I back Probed to the Yellow wire and hooked it up to a 12 volt battery it showed nothing on the Volt Meter. When I moved to the Blue Wire and stayed hooked up to power still nothing. Then I disconnected from the power and left the volt meter hooked to the blue wire and immediately started to get the reading on the volt meter. I was not expecting that since the sled didn't have any power to it. Any ideas what is going on? Should I be concerned about an issue? I really have no idea about electronics etc so any help would be great.

Thanks

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Hey guys,

I've checked and adjusted my TPS a few times with this method and each time it has worked just fine. In prep for the season I went to test it this time and when I back Probed to the Yellow wire and hooked it up to a 12 volt battery it showed nothing on the Volt Meter. When I moved to the Blue Wire and stayed hooked up to power still nothing. Then I disconnected from the power and left the volt meter hooked to the blue wire and immediately started to get the reading on the volt meter. I was not expecting that since the sled didn't have any power to it. Any ideas what is going on? Should I be concerned about an issue? I really have no idea about electronics etc so any help would be great.

Thanks
Is there a reason why your attempting to get into the readings?
Is it not running correctly that would lead you to the TPS settings from when you have correctly adjusted it in prior year?

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Is there a reason why your attempting to get into the readings?
Is it not running correctly that would lead you to the TPS settings from when you have correctly adjusted it in prior year?

I've got a Det issue (I'm turbo'd with the BD sidekick) and a bog issue. I'm installing a new fuel pump tomorrow because I suspect that's at least part of my issue if not all of it. I heard a high pitched whine last week when testing which makes me thing it's a fuel pump issue. I have the sled torn down checking every connection and checking the exhaust valves and exhaust connections etc and figured I'd check the TPS again since I'm in there. Was thinking that maybe I've got an issue with the TPS unit it self. When it did what it did where it was showing the reading without power to the sled I wondered if that meant anything. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what could be the possible issue/issues.

Thoughts??

Premium Features