• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"The Shocker" Lives - Project Done

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I've now been out twice now and all I have to say OMG, this thing hauls. I've had a few gremlins, but nothing with the engine, Mtn Tamer, or track. The Gold Finger was causing the TSS to activate - Gold Finger is gone, never used it anyway. The "Shocker" flap is getting replaced with a longer PDP mtn flap, and yes, with the "Shocker" on it. The Peak track throws a serious rooster tail, 6' high and about 12 - 15' long. Ask Turbolover about the rooster tail - no tailgaters behind me.

I was initially concerned about fuel mileage and running temps, but the mileage didn't suffer at all and temps are staying around 122 - 125, maybe the Engine Ice coolant is helping with this and the carbide tips I put on the Slidekicks are also helping - I don't know.

Anyway, I wish we had some deeper snow to see how the Peak performs, so far it's been great.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I should charge royalties on the shocker flap:). Sweet sled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
if you dont mind me asking how much was the slp 777 kit when it was all said and done?

When I picked up the engine the bill was around $2300 (SLP is about a 10 min drive). That included the tear down, crank work, the 777 engine parts kit only, and re-assembly) I believe that they had the 777 engine parts kit on sale at that time - it has since gone back up to the normal price. It pays to do mods during the spring and summer - most stuff is actually available and sometimes on sale. I got the 777 specific exhaust system as a 2nd (some scratches/scuffs) and saved around $200 from the regular 777 system price. These savings allowed me to buy a new track and the Tied clutch. As for the rest of the required parts, I already had most of it from running their single pipe system last season.

S
Dec 13, 2007
Eagle, CO
are you worried about the vforce 3 reed valves? i have heard that they burn up and chip because there is no fuel running over them? can you run the slp kit with the stock reeds?

S

sledless bdh

Nov 4, 2008
Hermiston, Oregon
And how were the frogzskins to install? I had never heard of them until I looked at your build. I really like the design of them. Anyone else have any experience with them?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
are you worried about the vforce 3 reed valves? i have heard that they burn up and chip because there is no fuel running over them? can you run the slp kit with the stock reeds?

I've asked SLP several times about the VF3 reeds and they tell me not to worry about it.

And how were the frogzskins to install? I had never heard of them until I looked at your build. I really like the design of them. Anyone else have any experience with them?

The Frog Skinz are easy to install. Just don't do what I did and install them over the OEM graphics. I kick myself for that one. As for durability, Turbolover had us riding in and around trees the first day I rode it and the Frog Skinz got scraped up and show signs or being rubbed on by trees, but didn't tear.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
The "Shocker" flap is getting replaced with a longer PDP mtn flap, and yes, with the "Shocker" on it. The Peak track throws a serious rooster tail, 6' high and about 12 - 15' long. Ask Turbolover about the rooster tail - no tailgaters behind me.

Flap has been changed out.

Previous std PDP flap (16.5" long)
100_0285.jpg

New PDP mtn flap w/about 2" cut off (around 26"):
100_0317.jpg

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Rich
That is a great looking nice running sled. It definitely throws some roost. It isn't hard at all to pick you out of a line of riders.
I was worried about your frogskinz that first ride to. After you used that first tree for traction, I figured lets just go for a ride and see what they'll take. They definitely had some good rub marks on em but didn't peel or tear or anything. I'm pretty impressed by that stuff.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Been wondering how the 777 kit does - how does it compare to a stock 700 or the 700 with an SLP Pipe, or a stock 800?

thx

d

This kit rocks. I blows away the stock 700 & 700 w/pipe. I haven't had but 30 - 45 min on a 2012 Pro 800 (@ West Yellowstone during the Expo) but I would say power wise it will walk the 800 as well.

To be honest though a lot of my other mods may be enhancing the feel of the power. The Peak track getting better traction than a Poo 5.1 w/ 4800 miles on it, the rear susp. working better than the stock skid and so on.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Thought I'd post up now that I've got some time on the sled - albeit minimal due to work and sprained wrist.

The SLP 777 kit is truly awesome. It has good power that pulls extremely hard. I'm running the oil pump a little richer than recommended and add a few ounces of oil to the gas and occasionally add some Amsoil SE fuel additive and octane booster. This has been an add gas/oil, pull and go sled this season.

These are the mods I'm currently doing or considering for this summer:

1) Rotate the Tied helix from the 73-57.46ER to the 73-59.46ER to load the engine a little more to see if it will mellow the abrupt nature of MY sled.

2) Considering going back to stock gearing, 19 & 41, to get a little more track speed if the helix change doesn't alter it. The max MPH the MFD recorded was 63. I'm currently running 19 & 42. I'll do one at a time, the helix first since and see what that does, then consider going back to the 41T gear.

3) I've replaced the Float2 ski shocks with Raptor clicker shocks - thanks to Kevin at KMOD for twisting my arm.

4) I'm debating on whether to ditch the Float2 shocks and go for the Exit shocks for the Mtn Tamer. I got/am getting tired of jacking the sled up to check the pressures all the time, but w/an $1100 price tag it's a little hard to stomach.

5) The hood is currently out getting a custom paint job. A local 4M member, Airbrushr, is doing the work.

6) I'm replacing the stock steel bars with Fly AreoTaper Mini-bend bars using the ROX 4-6" adjustable riser. The throttle block, kill switch, RER switch, and the left hand controls/master cylinder on the std RMK are getting replaced with RSI parts and their control relocation kit for IQ w/steel handle bars.

Earlier this year, I replaced the stock MFD w/a new one that has the analog tach/speedo along w/the digital display that came on the '05-'06 900 RMKs.

I'll start a new thread, The Shocker v2, with pics when it's back together.

Premium Features