• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightning weights or IS new turbo weight

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
This set up we have pretty much been running weight for weight.

The sidekick guys LOOK, like they are going to land on 68's. That's what came with the kit. My NA buddies are pretty much running the same. Everyone seems like they are in the ball park.

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I am running 76.5 grams with my silber kit( 6000 feet). If i go to Lightning weights would i run the same grams? I see TRS is running 75 grams at his elevation. Really want to try his setup. Do Lightning weights come that heavy? If not how do you add weight?

76.5 grams of what? SSI weights? And stiffer secondary spring?

Sidekicks come with actual Polaris 10 series and stiffer springs. With Tony's clutching they are running about 1:1 - 68gr - 68gr.

Mtntks come with actual Polaris 10 series and the stock secondary. We went up ~1.5 grams from where we were.

I don't know the conversion to what Silber is running, but those SSI weights are not the same as 10 series. They claim the ramp is the same. But then they are tucked differently and the mass profile is different. I would recommend trying to find a set of 75-76 gram Lightnings with Tony's clutching. You may have to adjust your boost up or down I'm not sure. But I bet you it will run a lot stronger.

hontri

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
76.5 grams of what? SSI weights? And stiffer secondary spring?

Sidekicks come with actual Polaris 10 series and stiffer springs. With Tony's clutching they are running about 1:1 - 68gr - 68gr.

Mtntks come with actual Polaris 10 series and the stock secondary. We went up ~1.5 grams from where we were.

I don't know the conversion to what Silber is running, but those SSI weights are not the same as 10 series. They claim the ramp is the same. But then they are tucked differently and the mass profile is different. I would recommend trying to find a set of 75-76 gram Lightnings with Tony's clutching. You may have to adjust your boost up or down I'm not sure. But I bet you it will run a lot stronger.

I'm running SSI weights,almond red primary,black green secondary . If say i can only find 70 gram lightning weights can i not drill out all the holes to the same size and add rivets or bolts all the same size to bring the weight up to what i want? Also i read where the reverse notch has to be machined out in TRS's helix so it will lock in. It is a special cut helix so why is the notch not cut correctly from Venom? Excuse my ignorance here but i'm trying to understand how TRS's system works.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I'm running SSI weights,almond red primary,black green secondary . If say i can only find 70 gram lightning weights can i not drill out all the holes to the same size and add rivets or bolts all the same size to bring the weight up to what i want? Also i read where the reverse notch has to be machined out in TRS's helix so it will lock in. It is a special cut helix so why is the notch not cut correctly from Venom? Excuse my ignorance here but i'm trying to understand how TRS's system works.

TriCity has 68-75gr. Weights still in stock.
As for the ER notch, some sleds have an issue catching it. Historically the ER notch from Venom/Team(Custom Cut)has not been the same as your stock Polaris helix.
If you order a single trax you can specify the PI ER notch. Venom has concerns the helix will fail with the 46-32F cut. After thousands of miles on the modified Twin Trax 46-32F ER/46-34F ER I don't know of one failure.

hontri

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
TriCity has 68-75gr. Weights still in stock.
As for the ER notch, some sleds have an issue catching it. Historically the ER notch from Venom/Team(Custom Cut)has not been the same as your stock Polaris helix.
If you order a single trax you can specify the PI ER notch. Venom has concerns the helix will fail with the 46-32F cut. After thousands of miles on the modified Twin Trax 46-32F ER/46-34F ER I don't know of one failure.

Thank you very much TRS! Ordered some 76's from TriCity. One more question. Can the reverse notch be done at home with a die grinder comparing it to my stock Polaris helix or is this something a machine shop has to do?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Thank you very much TRS! Ordered some 76's from TriCity. One more question. Can the reverse notch be done at home with a die grinder comparing it to my stock Polaris helix or is this something a machine shop has to do?

That's a good question. I haven't done one that way. I built a jig for my mill. You could give it a try.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If someone has skills. I could email or text them
Too.

No problem... Gregg yelled at me, told me I needed to get pics up so there wasn't so many questions.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Tri city is all out of 76 gram lightning weights. Anybody have any connections to get a set?

From what I was told, they sold more old style Lightning weights this year because of the clutching threads on Snowest than their new style.
But when questioned about making more of the old style, they are not willing to place an order for the old style.
That mind set reminds me of when Coke lost huge sales due to their decision to change the recipe in 1985 and finally returned to the old recipe to recoup market share. Lesson learned.
TCP, like Coke, should build what the consumer wants, not what they think you want.
The boys should read this and pay particular attention to the last page.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/30-years-ago-today-coca-cola-new-coke-failure/

IMG_0772.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
From what I was told, they sold more old style Lightning weights this year because of the clutching threads on Snowest than their new style.
But when questioned about making more of the old style, they are not willing to place an order for the old style.
That mind set reminds me of when Coke lost huge sales due to their decision to change the recipe in 1985 and finally returned to the old recipe to recoup market share. Lesson learned.
TCP, like Coke, should build what the consumer wants, not what they think you want.
The boys should read this and pay particular attention to the last page.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/30-years-ago-today-coca-cola-new-coke-failure/
Should we be emailing TCP and requesting that a new batch of the old style be made?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Found a set. Pretty excited. Seen what this does this winter on a 174 MTNTK axys. Was faster than a sidewinder.

So Chris put it back in and got it figured out? What was wrong the first time he tried it?

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
So Chris put it back in and got it figured out? What was wrong the first time he tried it?

He's made a couple different changes. He's still using the lightning weights but a different helix I believe. You would have to talk to him to get all the details.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Trying to do some math on drilling out lightning weights, all 4 holes drilled to 3/16 will drop approximately 2.875 grams? Can anyone confirm that?

I see someone also mentioned these are tempered, will a carbide tip bit and drill press do the trick?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Called up an ordered 5 sets of lightning weights today. Gonna try to get an NA setup working next season.

Thinking-
120-310 in the primary
120-220 and 46-32 helix in the secondary
Geared to 2.33
Sled is a belt driven 155 2.6

Anything I should change?

Likely going to run an slp pipe as well. Any advice on where to start weight wise for 170lb guy at 8000-10000? 66?

Last edited:
Premium Features