• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtntk Turbo Axys

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
You have to be happy with that. Sounds like it runs spot on as elevation changes. How much boost are you running and what clutching? Thanks

T
Jan 4, 2011
Sled looks and sounds awesome.

What boost gauge are you running?
Are you going to run a turbo blanket?
Do you have a vent on the front clutch side or just rear exit?

Was your sled already broken in, or did you install turbo while still needing to do the 18 hour 20% increased oiling? And does the BullyDog GT MTNTK tune account for the increased oiling in the beginning?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Yes it's running spot on. Zero bog, glitch, hiccup etc.

This was a pump gas boost level of ~8psi at 6000'. Our sleds were brand new not broken in. We were running 40:1 in the tank and 25% av gas with too heavy of weights for the break in. Not sure if the reflash retains breakin mode or not. But mtntk reflash turns the oiler up FWIW. Clutching is 10-74's, 165-310 primary and stock secondary. Pulling 8100. So once it's broken in we'll turn the boost up to pull 8350-8400.

We're running VDO boost gauges. They fit mint in the console. Running mtntk blow hole vent on clutch side and matching mtntk vent on the exhaust side. No other venting except added intake vents. No turbo blanket. My thought is, these 2 stroke turbos don't utilize as much heat energy in the turbine as 4 strokes do so the benefit would be negligible if any. 2 stroke turbos never get the turbine housing glowing red like a high boost 4 stroke.

Yeah they use a long spring for wastegate activation. Set your spring tension and that maintains the same peak pipe pressure no matter where you ride. Same pipe pressure - same turbine energy - same boost is the theory. They claim it works great, it seems to from what I've seen. Luckily for us we don't ride anywhere but NW MT and BC. Pretty consistent elevations.

15056511_10210839733332037_7313564157796379345_n.jpg

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
how's the noise ?
any chance you could get us a DB reading ?

i hear their quiet maybe the quietest kit available
but it's really hard to confirm
thanks

sorry i'm obsessed with this issue ha ha

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
how's the noise ?
any chance you could get us a DB reading ?

i hear their quiet maybe the quietest kit available
but it's really hard to confirm
thanks

sorry i'm obsessed with this issue ha ha

From the cockpit there is a lot of intake noise. But third person they are pretty quiet. Louder than stock. I downloaded a dB meter app but haven't tested yet. I plan on it once we get some better snow conditions and we start running full RPM.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Is there really a reason to have that boost gauge with this auto altitude compensation feature kit?
Allot are trying to stay away from cutting holes, cant see the value.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Is there really a reason to have that boost gauge with this auto altitude compensation feature kit?
Allot are trying to stay away from cutting holes, cant see the value.

If you're going to be adjusting boost levels for the conditions then you'll need it. I plan on turning it up for big pow days and down in the spring. Taking a glance at the boost gauge when I do to make sure I have appropriate octane. If you're not gonna mess with it then it's not necessary that's why it's optional component of the kit.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
If you're going to be adjusting boost levels for the conditions then you'll need it. I plan on turning it up for big pow days and down in the spring. Taking a glance at the boost gauge when I do to make sure I have appropriate octane. If you're not gonna mess with it then it's not necessary that's why it's optional component of the kit.

Understand that- for sure- just missed the point of having it...:yuck:

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Do you think there clutching is good, or is there more there?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
It seems good. But there is always more. I'm going to test TRS's clutching once I get some lightning weights heavy enough. Ideally I'd like a little better response from idle/off boost to WOT. Once you're making any boost and/or above 5000RPM its very quick response - just as fast if not faster than stock. But like jumping creeks and logs and stuff off idle you have to grab the brakes momentarily to get the turbo spooled and RPM's up in order to pick the skis like a stock sled can do. That may just be the nature of turbos, but I'd like to not have to do that. We also haven't had any deep snow to see how hot everything is getting and how stable RPM's are under a lot of load for sustained WOT.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
It seems good. But there is always more. I'm going to test TRS's clutching once I get some lightning weights heavy enough. Ideally I'd like a little better response from idle/off boost to WOT. Once you're making any boost and/or above 5000RPM its very quick response - just as fast if not faster than stock. But like jumping creeks and logs and stuff off idle you have to grab the brakes momentarily to get the turbo spooled and RPM's up in order to pick the skis like a stock sled can do. That may just be the nature of turbos, but I'd like to not have to do that. We also haven't had any deep snow to see how hot everything is getting and how stable RPM's are under a lot of load for sustained WOT.
Nature of the beast. I guess thats why God invented superchargers. Same thing in the Auto industry. Love turbo vehicles but you get behind the wheel of something supercharged, it is a different animal. Not saying I want a supercharged sled but no matter who builds it, takes a sec to spool that wheel. In saying that I have to think there is more left in the clutching. I also would like to try TRSs clutching.

Last edited:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Tony's clutching works! (Trs)

Like others have said
Make sure and do all the pieces
Don't half *** it ( like i did at first)

You thought you're turbo had long legs
Before! Look out kid. She keeps pulling ??

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

Like others have said

Before! Look out kid. She keeps pulling ??

Good bottom end too.... Wait plus mid range. Almost forgot, clutches stay cool. Must be getting senile..... Doesn't chew up belts. :face-icon-small-ton

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013

Like others have said

Before! Look out kid. She keeps pulling ??[/QUOTE

Whats the best way to get ahold of TRS to buy this kit?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
I don't wanna speak for Tony
But try private messaging him

Oh and yes spaark. All the above ! Ha ha
It's a different approach to clutching than
I've used before. And I like it

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I moved the "sidtracked" discussion to the MTNTK thread here
Clickable link: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420372

So I/we don't pollute tdbaugha's great thread here.

Please keep us in the loop with your results ...I'm looking forward to seeing
your results throughout the season..

IMO, this MTNTK kit is an exciting development in the Polaris turbo market !!

MH.

Last edited:
Premium Features