• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HCR-TYPE HEAT EXCHANGER OPINIONS

O
Oct 4, 2017
Hi Folks;
You cat owners with a hcr-type front mounted heat exchanger.
Does it give you enough cooling in marginal riding conditions ?
In the spring,some sno-parks are just gravel before you get into
snow maybe a 1/4 mile away.
The summits are fine,the Polaris RMKs will run hot.How are the cats?
I am thinking of getting an Alpha 1 this year and trading in my summit,
that's why I'm asking .
Thank You

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Hi Folks;
You cat owners with a hcr-type front mounted heat exchanger.
Does it give you enough cooling in marginal riding conditions ?
In the spring,some sno-parks are just gravel before you get into
snow maybe a 1/4 mile away.
The summits are fine,the Polaris RMKs will run hot.How are the cats?
I am thinking of getting an Alpha 1 this year and trading in my summit,
that's why I'm asking .
Thank You

My experience with a 2014 and 2018 was that as long as there was some snow and you could keep your speed up it was ok. Not sure about riding about riding gravel, I haven’t had to do that without at least water or slush to cool things down. Where I found an issue is riding a hard packed trail that you have to go slow on, or spring conditions where the trail is set enough that the track doesn’t kick up snow,but soft enough the scratchers just slice thru. I will probably put some of the ski mounted scratchers on to deal with that. Note that where the Cat overheated, so did the skidoo’s we were riding with so it wasn’t exactly unique to the cats.

O
Oct 4, 2017
Thank You Eldereldo.I have my eye on that 600 Alpha 1. I hope there will be one at the sno-show
this weekend.'western-washington'.You never know with first year out models.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
This is the Mseries thread.
They all have the same cooler.

U will get more responses in the proclimb and ascender threads.

I can confirm the Mseries is much much better at cooling in crap conditions than the proclimb/ascender front heat exchange.

That being said, the ascender is much better than the proclimb.
Not sure whats different other than the engine?

My 09 didn't put more than 100miles on my scratchers is 4,000 miles of riding and it didn't even have a snowflap.

My 14 was fine. I always had to have the scratchers down on any trail riding.. only got hot one time, that was on solid ice and patches of gravel on a trail up hill. The Xm i was with got hot first.

My 18 only needed scratchers on long trail rides, temps got warm on a whooped out trail that kept me below 15mph.

O
Oct 4, 2017
Thank You Alpha Hawk.I always make it to the ski-benders poker run.I come over from government
meadows.Looking on the Arctic Cat website ,all of the mountain sleds have that front mounted
heat exchanger now.

Take Care

mtncrawler

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2010
Breckenridge, Co
My '17 Mountain Cat sure wouldn't go 1/4 mile on dirt. Temp light comes on in short order if I don't have scratchers down on soft groomed powder. Didn't even have scratchers on my last sled with tunnel coolers, now it seems like I can't get out of the parking lot without them.

Premium Features