• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stator bolts

D
Nov 2, 2008
Has anyone ever had problems with the stator bolts backing out or shearing off? So far in 700 miles, the stator bolts have either broke off or backed out 5 times. I've been able to limp home each time with nearly no electrical system function. Stator is really getting beat up but still works great.

There's not other issues with the motor I feel. Runs really good, vibrations are not bad under load, clutch is in really good shape.

I have tried almost everything to fix the problem. Loctite hasn't worked, stronger bolts, weaker bolts, lock washers, and epoxy. Epoxy on the bolts and stator mount worked the best--about 200 miles.

I ended up with studs in the case instead of bolts. This way, I can use lock nuts in an attempt to hold the stator on. Probably either need a new case or part out the sled. I'm done with it after this.

D
Nov 2, 2008
I should also mention the crank runout is .0005 so I don't think that is an issue.
I have a extra hd clutch with the starter ring. Think this would help with balance?

Premium Features