• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New user - 02 600 RMK

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Although this method may only take a couple of hours, the removal and reinstallation of the track involves removing the chain case, the drive axle, 4 bolts that tend to spin since the other end cannot be held in place, muscling the rear suspension out of the sled, all before the track can be removed. And then the event is reversed to reinstall. That will add at least 5 hours to this 2 hour drilling. When in fact, the holes can be drilled with the track still in place on the sled.

True that – removing the track just to port it probably isn't worth the time. Wasn't thinking about it that way since I'm doing a track/skid swap. As I mentioned, my speedo recently died, so it's probably due for bearings anyway. Somehow the driveshaft bearing doesn't seem terrible, so it's a little strange it broke the key (maybe the speedo cable is going bad too). The bearing on the 800 that I'm parting was in obvious distress, but somehow the key was fine – go figure.

the holes look good, you didnt overdo it like most people:face-icon-small-coo
whenever we took a track out of those sleds we always added outer drivers to the drive shaft. all pre-97 rmks used to come this way. they grip those outer lugs and allow you to run the track a little looser without ratcheting. looser track spin easier. I liked this better than extrovert drivers i tried once. i know all the new sleds run extros now but the 4 introvert drivers spin smoother. a little tougher getting the driveshaft in and out but not as bad as extros.

Thanks! I kind of wondered about the drivers – I'd noticed most (maybe all?) triples had the outer drivers back in the day. Unfortunately, it's a little late to dig up a set as I'd like to have the project done this weekend. Maybe down the road (especially if I find a lightweight driveshaft). The more I read about porting, the more it seemed a little is good, a lot is not. In particular, reading about Ski-Doo's experiment with the cheese-grater idea tells me not to try too much. So I kept it minimal, plus there's the fact that trying to shave an EDGE into a lightweight is fairly impractical to begin with.

Premium Features