• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

baofeng 888S

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
Just wondering if anybody has programmed these and are willing to share a few tips. I am wanting to install the FRS/GRMS frequency's, and a local weather channel. I know to use chirp, I just don't know how. Thanks.

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
Turns out these aren't very hard to program. Lost of confusion on if they are legal for the use we want.

Last edited:
F
Jan 25, 2011
I used mine for hunting with the mic this season and wow, very impressed for now.
I have maybe 3 miles from the cabin to the spot in deep forest and it's very clear!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just wondering if anybody has programmed these and are willing to share a few tips. I am wanting to install the FRS/GRMS frequency's, and a local weather channel. I know to use chirp, I just don't know how. Thanks.

FWIW...

If you're looking for a radio you can use without a license, then no, it is not a good radio for that purpose.

This radio is not
Part 90 (commercial land mobile) or Part 95 (FRS/GMRS, etc.) certified.

If you use it as received from the factory, you'll be transmitting on commercial and public safety channels, so could get in a lot of trouble very quickly (with fines exceeding $10,000).

If reprogrammed for ham radio 70cm band and you're licensed, then yes, it can be used legally.

If reprogrammed for FRS, then you'll be illegal due to power levels and the removable antenna.

If reprogrammed for GMRS AND you have a license, then you'll be on shaky ground, but the chance of getting caught is small.

If you're looking for a good "family" radio and don't want to get a license, then stay with FRS radios and stay off the GMRS channels (Channels 15-22 on Motorola radios).

The short answer is that is that it is NOT a good solution for a low cost, LEGAL, easy to use radio for unlicensed family use.

There are no frequencies you can program this radio to for use without a license and remain legal.

S

snowcannon

Aug 20, 2015
Shuswap, BC
FWIW...

If you're looking for a radio you can use without a license, then no, it is not a good radio for that purpose.

This radio is not
Part 90 (commercial land mobile) or Part 95 (FRS/GMRS, etc.) certified.

If you use it as received from the factory, you'll be transmitting on commercial and public safety channels, so could get in a lot of trouble very quickly (with fines exceeding $10,000).

If reprogrammed for ham radio 70cm band and you're licensed, then yes, it can be used legally.

If reprogrammed for FRS, then you'll be illegal due to power levels and the removable antenna.

If reprogrammed for GMRS AND you have a license, then you'll be on shaky ground, but the chance of getting caught is small.

If you're looking for a good "family" radio and don't want to get a license, then stay with FRS radios and stay off the GMRS channels (Channels 15-22 on Motorola radios).

The short answer is that is that it is NOT a good solution for a low cost, LEGAL, easy to use radio for unlicensed family use.

There are no frequencies you can program this radio to for use without a license and remain legal.

Are these rules specific to the US?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Are these rules specific to the US?
SORRY!!!
I did NOT see that you were up north in BC...

What I have seen a lot of lately are guys buying HAM RADIOS to use in the back country because they have a WHOLE LOT more transmitting power, and they work a HECK OF A LOT BETTER. But they are treading on thin ice if they ever get caught for using a HAM radio without a license.

So I toss out these warnings just so the guys know the downside to making that choice in the USA.

F
Jan 25, 2011
Yes, and in Canada you don't even have the right to use it as is! Mine is locked at 2watt. But i read somewhere that regulation is gonna change for these kind of radio.

You know, where i use it, the nearest town is, at least, a 1 hour travel.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I have a Boefang radio Bf f8 it has a stock 7in rubber antenna that is a big upgrade and the radio that has a extended battery and that model makes the radio thicker in the back rather than longer like the Boefang uv5r etc. and am studying for my Ham or amateur radio liscence, not for sledding for fun of long distance commumication etc. If you stay within like the 22 channels of you common handheld public radio you can broadcast without a liscence not different then store bought handhelds or like a Garmin Rino, the cool part of the Boefang and other radios like that is they broadcast at a much higher watts then the cheap handhelds which at usually not over 1 watt radios, 1 -4 watt ham radios are pretty cool and mine is the new one that's less than a $50 radio and I can broadcast 1, 4, and 8 watts, when I take is sledding my buddy with a cobra handheld can hear me good but I have a hardtime hearing him at distance, I also have most my local police, emergency and weather channels programmed in and listen to the weather channel when out in the hills, Get the like 14inch retec or nogoya whip antenna and I just fold them with out kinking and put the radio in my jacket pocket.

you can also buy quick adaptor that screw into the top of the radio and will adapt to a antenna mounted to your vehicle and you can broadcast for miles.

pretty cool stuff.
Wildcard

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
christopher; said:

A precautionary warning is nice, but where is this stern warning in every thread about aftermarket exhausts, turbos, etc? They are just as illegal, and do more harm to our sport than unlicensed radios, but I suppose these unlicensed radios aren't sponsors either....

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho

Tip 1: google "ctcss". Info you need to know. It will be very helpful, really.
Tip 2: the 888 is a uhf only rig. It's freq band is about 420 - 470 mhz. NOAA is in the vhf band. Something close to 162.45 mhz. Cant listen to that on the 888. If you really want wx radio, get the uv5r or one of it's variants. It is dual band, vhf/uhf. Uses the same cable and chirp.

If you are looking at chirp, there are 2 freq per channel, you can put different freqs there.... dont! Make both the same freq. Next is the tone....see tip 1.

Tip 3: use the frs freq. Program to match the blister pack radios.

Full disclosure: transmitting with the cheap Chinese radios is illegal. Only general exception is amateur radio. Do not use the 888 until you have programmed it to the frs freq!!!

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
A precautionary warning is nice, but where is this stern warning in every thread about aftermarket exhausts, turbos, etc? They are just as illegal, and do more harm to our sport than unlicensed radios, but I suppose these unlicensed radios aren't sponsors either....

Aftermarket sled parts such as exhausts and turbos are illegal?

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Aftermarket sled parts such as exhausts and turbos are illegal?

I'm guessing that, technically, yes. Probably something in the cfr about changing sound and exhaust emissions. I would bet that removing the foam from the engine bay is illegal too. Just like the cheap chinese radios, there are very few that care much about the regulations, until some govt official knocks ar our door. There are so many laws/regulations that, everyone does something illegal several times a day.

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
Tip 1: google "ctcss". Info you need to know. It will be very helpful, really.
Tip 2: the 888 is a uhf only rig. It's freq band is about 420 - 470 mhz. NOAA is in the vhf band. Something close to 162.45 mhz. Cant listen to that on the 888. If you really want wx radio, get the uv5r or one of it's variants. It is dual band, vhf/uhf. Uses the same cable and chirp.

If you are looking at chirp, there are 2 freq per channel, you can put different freqs there.... dont! Make both the same freq. Next is the tone....see tip 1.

Tip 3: use the frs freq. Program to match the blister pack radios.

Full disclosure: transmitting with the cheap Chinese radios is illegal. Only general exception is amateur radio. Do not use the 888 until you have programmed it to the frs freq!!!

Thanks for the info.

So it is starting to look like the 888S is not a very good radio for the mountains, illegal or not. It has no ctcss. What do you mean, "if you really want wx radio"? Weather? I don't understand why they put the GRMS/FRS frequency's in the baofeng's programming, if it is illegal to use?

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Thanks for the info.

So it is starting to look like the 888S is not a very good radio for the mountains, illegal or not. It has no ctcss. What do you mean, "if you really want wx radio"? Weather? I don't understand why they put the GRMS/FRS frequency's in the baofeng's programming, if it is illegal to use?

Yes it is a good radio for the mtn's. Inexpensive, very good audio quality. Simple operation. And it does have ctcss. I think it even has dcs. Very capable little radio. It has no fpp ability, you must use a computer to program channels/tones/settings. Any freq between 400 and 470mhz can be programmed in. Using the frs/gmrs freq is convenient and makes them compatible with the walmart blister pack radios.

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
anybody have frequency list of BCA radios for programming?

BC LINK-A 462.5625
BC LINK-B 462.6625 CTCSS 94.8
BC LINK-C 462.6375 CTCSS 131.8
BC LINK-D 467.5625 CTCSS 94.8
BC LINK-E 467.5875 CTCSS 97.4
BC LINK-F 462.675

Channel A and F have no privacy code (CTCSS)

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
anybody have frequency list of BCA radios for programming?

Or if you are using a Rhino or other walkie talkie.

The BC Link comes with preset channels from the factory:
A Channel 1 privacy code off
B Channel 5 privacy code 10
C Channel 4 privacy code 20
D Channel 8 privacy code 10
E Channel 9 privacy code 11
F Channel 20 privacy code off

Premium Features