• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Starts then dies after 2 seconds

S
Jan 20, 2016
Cadott WI
I recently had my 06 Fusion 900 into a shop to have motor mounts replaced and new fender installed. Work prevented me from being able to do myself. Shop dropped sled off at my home for me as I was out of town. Came home started sled in the garage to warm up, idled fine, revved up fine, all gauges worked, no check engine flashes, high and low beam headlights, tail lights worked, brake lights worked. Took sled off the stand and dash went out as well as all the lights and shortly after the engine died. Pull start it and runs for 3 seconds with no lights, no dash. Tried several times and only once did the lights and dash come on as well as ran for about 3 minutes then went dark and will only start for a couple of seconds then kills. Swapped chassis relay with the one that is mounted next to the battery and no change.

Shop will not stand behind their work or take it back in to find the problem at no cost. Sled ran perfect before going to the shop with no issues at all.

Since I have taken apart and cleaned every electrical connection and put together with generous amount of dielectric grease. No change. Removed engine, tested stator and ohms out fine, removed stator and no visual broken wires, inner flywheel lining is intact with no visual damage. Removed wiring harness outer shell and have found no apparent wire issues or anything that would lead me to believe that it is a bad wire from the stator. Checked wiring at TPS and all wires tight in connector.

At whits end with this electrical issue especially as the sled ran perfect prior to going in for mounts and fender.

S
Jan 20, 2016
Cadott WI
Lawyer doesnt get the sled running this weekend. I want to ride and I have 4 days of vacation left to get sled running and to ride so any help with getting the sled running would be greatly appreciated.

S
Jan 20, 2016
Cadott WI
Looked into renting a sled for the weekend but all decent sleds are reserved so I would have to settle for an Indy 550 fan cooled touring sled at the cost of almost $2000 with security deposit, rental fees, and insurance.

S
Jan 20, 2016
Cadott WI
I will be putting the motor back in today, as I assemble I will make sure to check every connection for bent/broken pins. Dealer 100 miles away has new chassis relay so will get that as well. I am very leary about the stator being bad. Ohms are right on and there is no visual damage. Would think that if the stator was bad there would be weak/ no spark, sled would either run without any lights or mfd or there would be intermittent problems with electrical. Sled ran perfect for 5 mins as it warmed up then lost lights and mfd and died.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
I don't have the manual handy, hopefully someone will chime in and tell you. Have you tried holding the throttle in just a tad while pulling it over?

S
Jan 20, 2016
Cadott WI
Tried holding the throttle in a little and the result was that it would build more rpms but still no gauges or lights and would still kill after a couple of seconds.

S
Jan 20, 2016
Cadott WI
Update on electrical issue and resolution

Despite my irritation of the poor quality from the shop I am still glad I had the opportunity to remove the motor and go through all components myself. When I removed the stator I did find that there was a build up oil and dirt and gunk inside the stainless ring and over the magnets. Cleaned it all up as well as checked the wiring throughout the entire harness to make sure there were no bare or broken wires.

Did find the pins on the fuel injector connections had pulled out on three of the four. So pushed those back in (wish there was a better way to ensure that they stayed).

I also found that one of the motor mount threads on the engine were stripped and the bolt was not tightening. Drilled and heli coiled.

Removed probably 10 pounds of gunk and oil and broken belt pieces from the belly pan.

Cleaned up the oil pump cable so now it operates freely.

Completely re-organized how the wire harness was ran and have it well clear of any sharp edges, moving parts, and exhaust components. Added some harness holders and used plenty of zip ties to secure.

Every electrical connection was cleaned and applied a liberal amount of dielectric grease to each.

Once all these things were complete and everything hooked back up I started the sled and it ran without flaw once again until I took it off the stand. Once it hit the garage floor dash went out, lights went out, and the sled killed. Was tempted to push it into the driveway and start it on fire. Instead I removed chasis relay, started the sled and it runs amazing. Even ran up and down the corridor several times to make sure. Never missed a beat. Only thing is no lights and no MFD.

I will make the hour drive to nearest Polaris dealership with the relay and buy at least three of them.

So in the end the lesson I learned is to do lots of research on these wonderful forums, consider the facts, and it will save lots of time chasing illegitimate leads and get your sled back to running down the trails were it belongs!

Thanks to everyone who has posted not only in this thread but in the numerous other threads on Snowest and the numerous other forums available.

Premium Features