• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

136-151 To much for extensions?

R
Oct 18, 2010
I just picked up a 99 RMK 700 and have been doing a ton of research about these sleds. I talked to a couple people about extensions and most didn't recommend using just and extension to go from a 134 to a 151 track. They all said to switch to a 144 and use shorted extension to get up to 151. Which makes sense to me haha

To me it seems like having that extension piece run that length would make it much more likely to bend, so i'm wondering if anyone has done the 134 to 151 with extensions and not using 144 tracks? And if so have you had any issue with bending?

My sled has a 2" riser, mountain bar, fox shocks in the rear, updated steering shaft, SRP can and pipe, SRP clutch, stock 136 track. Stoked to get out into some deep this winter!

T
Dec 25, 2007
I had a buddy with a 98 600RMK mod that took his from 136-151 with extensions. He was able to make it work with a brace bar in the middle of the extension (basically treaded 1/2" barstock with lock nuts and washers on either side of the extension plate). I would send pics, but he has since sent the sled to pasture following a few "tree conferences" and a couple rather long ghost rides down the mountain...:doh:

I guess it depends on how you want to use the sled and how much you want to spend. Obviously cheaper with extensions, but if you like launching on a regular basis you will end up bending them. In this case, spend the extra dough on an edge 144 (or 151 for that matter) and never look back. There are enough of them getting parted out these days that you can likely find one around cheap enough... If you are more apt to spend time cruising in the powder, extensions may be just fine for you.

Good luck!

-T

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I rode a 98 700RMK with 156 track down with 136-156 extensions for 3 years. Never an issue and I'm not a little guy.

I did like treemagnet03 talks about and put a brace between the 2 rails, basically a shaft with no boggie wheels on it, in the middle of the extension.

sled_guy

R
Oct 18, 2010
I don't jump or really plan to, powder is definetly the goal with the sled. If i can save a few bucks and run extensions with no issues i would gladly do so! I;m not a super aggressive sled rider, 90% of the reason I bought the sled was to access more backcountry snowboarding terrain. I'll have to look into bracing that sounds like a good thing to do for good measure.

Any issues with bumping up to something like a 156? I plan on pow skis and at the least a 151, the sled has some mods so it's got lots of go, i just want to be sure it's got plenty of float as well. Thanks guys!

T
Dec 25, 2007
First, I don't think there are extensions that take you any longer than 151 from a 136. Second, any longer starts to get to be too much. You state that you are mainly using this for skiing? If so, you likely won't need too much more. Not sure how much riding time you have in, but if you have only ever used a 136, a sled with a 151 on it will blow your mind with regard to where it can get to...especially when if fluffy powder.

With respect to the skis to use on the snowmobile, the Polaris Gripper skis are a great ski and mega improvement over what is currently on your sled. They are also relatively affordable compared to some of the aftermarket skis.

Have fun!:thumb:

-T

R
Oct 18, 2010
TraksUSA has either a 151 or a 156 extension. I basically want to make the sled able to go wherever I want when the snow is deep haha I realize too that a lot of it is in rider ability more so than the sled, but hey anything that helps make it easier on me to save some energy for skiing is ok in my book.

Thanks again for the input, my sled is getting dropped off on friday and when i drove over the pass today it was all white :D

S
Jun 11, 2010
I have the same sled and went from a 136" to a 159" got the extensions from wps been ridding it for a few years now and havent had any problems at all and i'm not ridding it like a grany either:eek:

R
Oct 18, 2010
nice! Glad to hear you can go that long without issue. I'm sure if you are launching off stuff all the time you may have a problem but I do all my jumping on my snowboard haha. Time to start saving and shopping...thanks guys

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
easy! I built my own set, I went from a 121 to 156 with 18 inch extensions:D 4th year never a problem, I have note taken it easy!

R
Oct 18, 2010
I considered making my own but wasn't sure the time to make and fit em would be worth the time since the extensions are the cheapest part of the whole deal. Care to share some pics?

B
Nov 13, 2010
vernon b.c
i went from a 136 on my 2000 700 rmk to a 153 and i have had no issues with it at all and i ride very hard and aggresive. even done a couple of big drops 20 to 50 feet plus so hopefully this hepls with your decision

O yeah and im 225 lbs

Dec 3, 2007
144 x 16

You might consider going to a 16 wide skidoo track. It is a tight fit in the tunnel but is absolutely doable. A 144 x 16 has more footprint than a 151 and solves some of the issues of "too long" extensions. A 136 x 16 is almost as much footprint as a 151 x 15, with no extensions. Be sure the pitch on the skidoo track is the old 2.52 (the new machines have changed pitch). Check with tracks USA.

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
I have a 99 XC 700 that I converted from a 121-144 with tracks usa extensions and they work great. Haven't had any issues. Granted I do not rip huge cornices or super large jumps, but I still do get after it pretty good.

Premium Features