• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 700 SKS crank and clutch woes

Jan 2, 2013
Twas' a beautiful evening, bombing home on the groomed with the trusty 700 snow king special. Saw some ricer on the highway, and the speed demon in me somehow took over and taped the throttle. 60 mph came quick, then 70, then pretty soon, 80. Then the dreaded bog. After the mechanic tore it down, he found that the mag crank bearing went, killing a piece of the crank, which killed the rod bearing, which fragged the piston, which took out the jug. Lovely. The sled has 8500 miles on it. rebuilt at 5000, with a piston, jug and a crank. Oh well, beats rebuilding an 800 every 300 miles. (on a side note, my Dad's 2010 800 dragon switchback has gone 300 miles since we bought it (980 miles, 1200 now)

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Best first post I've ever read, I actually have tears in my eyes. You should post this in the pro section where if they get 150 miles they are dancing in the streets. 8500 miles, racing cars on the highway at 80 and the damn thing died!! priceless

Jan 2, 2013
Haha thanks a lot! Its been a great sled to me. Beats every 600 and 700 of my buddies, even if their sled is 12 years newer. its getting rebuilt as we speak. I've taken it everywhere, and it still keeps kicking. Started my love of Polaris.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I meant no disrespect to you with that last post, it was saturday night and I was having a few, it just struck me as funny. Everything wears out sooner or later, 8500 miles is doing pretty good to me. It is an older sled, it's sat through lots of summers and quite often thats what kills crank bearings, long periods of time without any new oil getting to them, they start to rust and it's all downhill from there. Bottomline the old BB 700's were/are a great engine, very few crank issues, or any issues at all for that matter. IMHO one of the best engines polaris ever built. Thanks for the laugh, again no disrespect to you, it's just that you read thread after thread about guys complaining of trouble with brand new pros that aren't even broken in for miles and then you post that about 8500 miles and your questioning the cranks durability. Hillarious.

Jan 2, 2013
Hahaha none taken! i was expecting it. (the Engine to go boom) Pretty rare sled. I dont see many out there. Mostly rmk's and xc's. I love the sled. My only complaint is that it is a little nose heavy, even after pulling the starter and battery. (that went to another sled) I love the wider front end, and with that 1.75'' lug, it pulls hard off the line. They are really reliable. A neighbor to my hunting cabin has a 1999 600 RMK in mint condition. i looked at the odometer expecting 2000 miles or so and it has 7500. On the original motor. Explains a lot about Polaris reliability back then. Now, can't say the same for the 2 strokes.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
So you guys are saying I should pounce on the 99' 700RMK down the street? I'm thinking it would be a good backup sled after giving it the ol' once over. ~4500miles and looks bone stock to me. Tear in the seat and missing inner headlight block-off plate but otherwise she looks decent. Figured I'd do a compression check and if its good, offer 750 on his 900 OBO, does that seam reasonable?

Premium Features