• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 Indy Front Suspension

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
I just got done putting an Edge rear skid under my 2000 XC. Now I'm wondering if I can give some help on the front end.

It has the OEM Nitrex black shocks with 6500 miles.

Any way the Edge XC shocks would be a viable upgrade or are they too long?

S
Jan 15, 2010
Most Edge shocks are usually about 18 inches +/- and are too long. Your stock XC shocks should be around 15 5/8 inches +/-. The most lift you can go on the front is about 3/4 to 1 inch longer shocks and then the steering and suspension angles get pretty out of whack. I have a 1997 SKS 700 non-CRC and went with Fox shocks off Artic Cat that were 16 1/2". I had to make some slight changes to the radius rod but they seem to work really well. I am still dailing the sled in and need to get the shocks rebuilt but it was a major improvement over OEM. THANKS!

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Front Shocks

I have a pair of 2002 SS front shocks that the literature says are 16 - 1/4" long. I took them off to put the Ryde FX's on that were intended for an XC SP but they seem to work ok on the normal XC. I have the taller spring perches that mount into the top of the belly pan if it ends up that I need to install them.

So being the Edge no SP are 3/4" or so longer I'm going to try one for size this weekend.

I'll let you know how it works out. Didn't have 1/4" rivets for the four tunnel hangers for the rear skid so I need to rivet them on before riding it.

S
Jan 15, 2010
Those shocks should work just fine! I convert my 97 SKS over to a 151 Edge skid also and it is a great improvement over the 136 X-tra 10. I am in the process of trying different options to improve the front now. I thought about going aftermarket but it is so nice to be able to walk into a used parts place or even the dealer and get the parts. I did the aftermarket approach on my other sled but a person can get a lot of money wrapped up quick and a couple of years down the road, if they stop making the specific part you need, you are SOL and back to square one! I look forward to hearing how the shock swap worked out for you!

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Front Shocks

Well I put the front shocks on from my wife's 2002 550 SS. They were the exact same length but much fresher. Really picked the front end up. The exhaust side top bolt was a pain to get at. The clutch side had a removeable rubber grommet so you could at it from the inside of the belly pan.

Now I need to adjust my skis as they are pigeon towed.

So Edge front shocks and rear skid. Looks like a whole different sled.

PERC and a valved 500. Seems pretty peppy so far. Will be interested to see how much better the gas mileage is over the non-ves motor.

Premium Features