• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 mt cat 800 144"

V
Dec 7, 2007
Froid,Montana
i was wondering if theres anything i can do to my sled to help in the deep powder. last year up in the bighorns it seems to just "trench" alot and not climb real well. so im just curious is suspension adjustments can be done as well as clutching or gearing...thanks

M
Dec 7, 2007
Alberta
pull your skid back and loosen your limiter staps.. mine is great in powder.. i also put a mavrick 153'' with non slip drivers.. gear it down to 19/43 and play with clutching.. what alltitude are youj running in?

1-800Oregon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Burns, OR
10 tooth drivers, relocate rear suspension front arm, and change gearing. Or put a 16" wide track under it. I just put a 159 X 16 on my 02 and it's a totally different sled. I also now have a set of 10 tooth drivers and 19/43 gears with chain for sale.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
im doin the skid setback and a 16 wide 151, but waiting on anti ratchet drivers and would like a link to some photos of a skid set back on the ol mt cat. if anybody has one it would be nice to have an image of what im doin

1-800Oregon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Burns, OR
The stock gearing should be 20/39 with 9 thooth drivers. The gears I have work well with the 10 tooth drivers, if you used them with the stock drivers you'd be gear way low.

The 10 tooth drivers are just larger diameter so it reduces your angle of attack; help get up on the snow better. The stuff is just setting around now I'd sell gears, chain, and drivers for $100 plus shipping. PM if interested I also have the instructions for relocating the front arm.

1-800Oregon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Burns, OR
catillak

I just got my 16 X 159 on my sled. I also wanted to do a setback but you will need to build a new mount for the rear suspension arm with the correct setback and drop. I didn't want to wait that long so I just got rail extensions.

I got 8 tooth extros and they just barely hit the plastic cap on the ends of the rails, a few seconds with a belt sander will fix that. So you don't need the setback for the rails to clear the drivers if you got 8 tooth. Also my 2.3" lug clears without notching or cutting with the 8 tooths.

I'd say your best bet is to find a set of 151 rails and leave the suspension where it is. You will also need either 6.38" idles or a drop bracket for the track to clear the torque sensing links. I got the bigger idlers again it doesn't complicate the suspension geometry.

Just my $.02

Premium Features