• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Patriot Owners- Poll Failure or Not

Has Your 850 Failed. Vote multiple times if you have multiple 850s

• No

Votes: 341 81.2%
  • Yes, Top End

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Yes, Bottom End

Votes: 61 14.5%

• Total voters

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Little over 6 hours, so far been a champ. Had two slight, slight bogs on one ride.
Beyond that, had to readjust the belt deflection, pour some gas and oil in it, pull cord and rip !
No fouled plugs, starts every first or second pull warm, or 2-3 cold.
Mid range power on these things is just the bees knees !

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I haven't seen many social media posts of 850's going down. Where is everyone seeing them? Link?

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
750 miles and zero issues. 850 / 163 / 3" Stock with a SLP can. Gas and oil. Surprised how well the belt is holding up. No performance loss yet. Running 66's at 9,500 to 10,000 and holds 8250 all day long even after longer stretches of abuse. I never would get this steady performance from my 800's When they got hot I'd loose 200 to 300 RPM. I know motor mounts in the 800's would be to blame for some of that but even with new motor mounts my 800's would loose R's after a longer session.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'm finding it interesting that the failure rate in this poll is exactly that same as the FR of the units we've sold. Like right to the percentage...granted we aren't talking huge numbers....but still seems like an odd coincidence. What to make of that...not sure?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Why isn’t this A real poll????????

not sure there is such a thing as a real pole........

There is a pile of people that will look someone right square in the eyes and tell them they ( wouldn't vote for Trump ) then turn around and walk right into the voting booth and pull the trigger for Trump.

Closet voters.

Nancy P & Chuck Schumuuuuu-m-er-oh-so-brain-less ....both wanted a wall when it was obamas's idea...... now because its ( THE PEOPLES & TRUMPS ) idea its poor Voodo !! what chicken chit poling base we now have.

Poles are a joke.....mainly because people nows days ( Males in general don't have a set of balls anyone ) ...... PC cowards.

Not Left Not Right.........just a hard cold fact of a Sissified world.

i would bet there have been more then double the amount of 850's down of people that visited this thread but they are Either to PC...or to ashamed to post it.

Just my two cents........Flame away !!

Dan

Last edited:

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I'm finding it interesting that the failure rate in this poll is exactly that same as the FR of the units we've sold. Like right to the percentage...granted we aren't talking huge numbers....but still seems like an odd coincidence. What to make of that...not sure?

I don’t think its that much of a coincidence, i agree polls aren’t to be trusted for accuracy but they can still give a reasonable guideline.
So in this case i would agree from what i have learned from dealers and what this poll is showing is close. So if there was close to 10,000 units sold and there is a 10% failure plus or minus, ther will be a 1,000 units down.
This to me falls in line with what Dans trying to get across that there is way to many.
If there is 50 out of 10,000, maybe thats ok, but 10% that is ridiculous.
So far I am one of the lucky ones i have 400 miles and 25 hrs.
I will be out next week to do another 500 or so, here’s hoping she holds together.
Just my 2 cents...

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Poll

I agree with you Dan.

This poll has just passed the number of failures I know about and none of them will ever be listed on this forum because those guys aren't Snowest members and they never will be. They do ask what's being talked about on here but they'll never sign up for this forum!

So knowing that info makes it easy for any poll to be off by a large margin!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
not sure there is such a thing as a real pole........

There is a pile of people that will look someone right square in the eyes and tell them they ( wouldn't vote for Trump ) then turn around and walk right into the voting booth and pull the trigger for Trump.

Closet voters.

Nancy P & Chuck Schumuuuuu-m-er-oh-so-brain-less ....both wanted a wall when it was obamas's idea...... now because its ( THE PEOPLES & TRUMPS ) idea its poor Voodo !! what chicken chit poling base we now have.

Poles are a joke.....mainly because people nows days ( Males in general don't have a set of balls anyone ) ...... PC cowards.

Not Left Not Right.........just a hard cold fact of a Sissified world.

i would bet there have been more then double the amount of 850's down of people that visited this thread but they are Either to PC...or to ashamed to post it.

Just my two cents........Flame away !!

Dan

Dan, now it does seem like you are selling??
Real world out here in the mountains (can't speak for you flat landers), there have been LESS failures than the poll would indicate. Maybe the poll is somewhat accurate but out here in the mountains and discussing with the dealers I personally know the failure rate is a low percentage ( lower than the so called poll). If one of ours fail I'll be on here reporting it but they have not.The internet tends to exaggerate, not always but much of the time.
Cheers

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I agree with you Dan.

This poll has just passed the number of failures I know about and none of them will ever be listed on this forum because those guys aren't Snowest members and they never will be. They do ask what's being talked about on here but they'll never sign up for this forum!

I don't understand the point you are trying to make....clearly many owners (the majority) are not on the forums; regardless of if they've had an issue or not.

Given the majority of owners on here vote accurately with their experiences, it will give a an idea of the failure percentage; at least that of Snowest 850 owner's. Which we can extrapolate....and wind up with likely the most accurate idea you're ever going to get. Sled manu's don't put these numbers out....so this is what we have.

I suppose the risk of brand loyal owner's voting "no failure," when they actually did have one.....is somewhat outweighed by the risk of brand loyal non-owners voting "failure" when they didn't have one. I don't see either being a swing factor in the numbers, personally.

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I agree with you Dan.

This is nonsensical. It's far more likely for an unsatisfied customer to be vocal or post about failure than the opposite. And how many 850 units were sold again?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Snowest poll will not way be anything close to the numbers that are out there. I just posted the poll to get an idea of what our members are seeing. I didn't vote at all because I do not own an 850. Also, in my group of people that I ride with or know that have them I have only known of one and it was a top end. I posted this is the large 850 thread started by Dan.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Facts

This is nonsensical. It's far more likely for an unsatisfied customer to be vocal or post about failure than the opposite. And how many 850 units were sold again?

It's a fact in my area. So you can call it whatever you like!!
There's far more failures being posted on social media than there is on this forum. Almost everyday there's new posts of failures posted on social media.
Why??
Because of the exact reason you stated in your post.
Their angry and the first place they go to show that is social media.
Why do they do that??
Because it's quick and easy and hits a bigger audience than this forum has ever had!

Makes no difference how many were sold. 1,000-100,000. If the failure rate is 10-20% the problem only gets more expensive for Polaris.
Rumour going around here is Polaris has ran out of motors to give to guys with crank failures. I hope this isn't true. If I paid $16,000 or so Canadian for one of these sleds I'd be pissed if I had to wait weeks and weeks for back ordered parts so I can ride my expensive new toy!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Numbers

I don't understand the point you are trying to make....clearly many owners (the majority) are not on the forums; regardless of if they've had an issue or not.

Given the majority of owners on here vote accurately with their experiences, it will give a an idea of the failure percentage; at least that of Snowest 850 owner's. Which we can extrapolate....and wind up with likely the most accurate idea you're ever going to get. Sled manu's don't put these numbers out....so this is what we have.

I suppose the risk of brand loyal owner's voting "no failure," when they actually did have one.....is somewhat outweighed by the risk of brand loyal non-owners voting "failure" when they didn't have one. I don't see either being a swing factor in the numbers, personally.[/QUOTE

The poll numbers could easily be manipulated higher or lower for a number of reasons. What's stoping anyone from voting?

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It's a fact in my area. So you can call it whatever you like!!
There's far more failures being posted on social media than there is on this forum. Almost everyday there's new posts of failures posted on social media.
Why??
Because of the exact reason you stated in your post.
Their angry and the first place they go to show that is social media.
There are more people/owners on social media, period. More owners with failures, and more without. But no way to extrapolate a percentage out of it....because we don't know the totals on either group. Even if you managed to tally up all the failures, you have no idea how many sans-problem 850 owners viewed, but didn't comment. At least this is attaching SOME numbers to all the speculation. So far the numbers jive with what I've experienced personally....again not the be-all, but it's SOMETHING, and doesn't seem massively inaccurate at a glance.

In my opinion, you have a relatively mature (in action, not necessarily age) owner's group on SW....and a poll here is MUCH more accurate than something similar on Facebook. Generally speaking, the information and discussion here is of higher quality than that on FB, I think everyone will agree on that. A poll on Facebook would be a disaster judging by the comments section of any sled page....no hope for the human race in those.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
There are more people/owners on social media, period. More owners with failures, and more without. But no way to extrapolate a percentage out of it....because we don't know the totals on either group. At least this is attaching SOME numbers to all the speculation. So far the numbers jive with what I've experienced personally....again not the be-all, but it's SOMETHING.

In my opinion, you have a relatively mature (in action, not necessarily age) owner's group on SW....and a poll here is MUCH more accurate than something similar on Facebook.

I agree with you in that a poll on any social media site would be far worse.

There's also the brand loyalist that won't post here or add to the poll because he dosent want to make his favorite brand look bad!!
And how do you stop all the extra poll votes that could easily miss lead the poll?

Last edited:
D
Dec 2, 2012
Quahog
I think it is too early for this poll as most of us only have less than 1000 miles on these. I remember back in the day when Yamaha came out with the mighty srx triples. They were plagued with cranks that were out of phase and the first year was a tuff one for them. Those old srx turned out to be a true success and to this day yami has not been near as successful with anything they have built since then.

Premium Features