• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW VIDEOS: 2017 Ski-Doo P-Drive Clutch, Engine and Forged Crank

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Very informative and impressive.....other manufacturers can take notes on how to market with this rollout.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
Dave,

Do you know if the new primary clutch would work on the current 800 etec?? Or is it just for the new 850??? Seems like it would be a sweet upgrade if it could be retro-fitted to the 800........

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
The innovation that BRP is pushing is purely amazing! I almost feel obligated to snow check a new 850, purely to support the pioneering of the snowmobiling industry they are doing.

A CEO mandated order, to design a new engine that is as reliable as a 4-stroke but still delivers the power to weight ratio of a 2-stroke is some crazy forward thinking! I thought it was a "pipe dream", but it looks like they've done it if this new engine lasts twice as long on their stress test dyno.

Way to go guys, way to go!

Last edited:
T

TABLEROCK

Nov 27, 2007
In Da Minnesooota
Great videos

Thanks Dave,

If you know of anymore videos with that kind of info on the new motor or chassis please post it for us.

Thanks again
Tablerock in Mn

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
Great videos thank you! There is some really cool innovation and technology there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I am typically not easily impressed...but the motor and clutch technology is really forward thinking and flat out amazing. The potential is huge. And even better is the rumor that they almost released it a year ago, but held off. That means a full year of development and tuning on this stuff. They really raised the bar on this sled. Id say this is the equivalent of major earlier innovations such as power valves or fuel injection. Super cool.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
"One piece solid crankshaft" ???? (second video)... I'm sure the engineers were wincing at that one... :face-icon-small-win

More power from the stator...but less magnetic drag?? The physics don't seem to work for that... (I could be wrong... and would love to learn how this is possible?)

The Armored ring lands seem like a great adoption for this engine.

Dave, thanks for posting that up!!

I may sound like a "doubting debbie"... but I'm actually excited about this motor.... It seems like an engineering marvel.

Austrian designed/built??

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
You can have a lower drag stator by using more efficient winding density...thus allowing a smaller diameter stator or less magnets for the same volume. One can ger better winding density through thinner insulation or square wire. Less torque needed for the same output...which means less drag.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Thanks Dave,

If you know of anymore videos with that kind of info on the new motor or chassis please post it for us.

Thanks again
Tablerock in Mn

Thanks, yeah it is hard to get tech guys to do this, but I have known Rich for a long time and when i asked him, he just did, these were one takes that I did with him. I am always trying to get new stuff, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but so glad i got these...dave

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You can have a lower drag stator by using more efficient winding density...thus allowing a smaller diameter stator or less magnets for the same volume. One can ger better winding density through thinner insulation or square wire. Less torque needed for the same output...which means less drag.

Increasing efficiency makes sense...did a quick google search on the square wire .... thanks for the lesson...'hairpin' design etc...

A smaller stator would also mean a smaller rotor = less mass = less inertia.

One of the things I like about this site... lots of experience on here.

Last edited:
Premium Features