• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 SP vs X

RyanC111

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2013
Bozeman, MT
Other than colors here are the differences I can see (based on spec sheet):

• Weight - ~6 lbs lighter for the X
  • Running boards
  • Suspension - HPG vs. HPG Plus

Using the build your own tool the price for the SP would be $13,349 and the X $13,899.

Do you guys think that the $550 premium for the X is a worthwhile investment? I'm just not familiar enough with the benefits of the HPG Plus suspension parts over the HPG.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Where is the -6lbs gained on the X? I know it's not a lot but find it very interesting, since the sleds appear to be the same other then the boards and shocks. I don't think the -6lbs comes from those, so what else is different?

Last edited:

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
Where is the -6lbs gained on the X? I know it's not a lot but find it very interesting, since the sleds appear to be the same other then the boards and shocks. I don't think the -6lbs comes from those, so what else is different?

Far as I can tell, it's in the shocks, handlebars/risers (tapered X, SP 7/8's), and running boards, everything else seems to be the same.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I think I would get the SP and put that $550 towards higher end shocks and or tube boards, but I also like the yellow. 6 pound is probably just in the shocks and boards, a pound in each shock and each board and you are there.

Z
Nov 11, 2010
looks like sp bars are tapered as well this year.
to some people this might not matter and to others it will but the sp doesnt have any of the powder coating such as spindles and rails. sp is just raw

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
looks like sp bars are tapered as well this year.
to some people this might not matter and to others it will but the sp doesnt have any of the powder coating such as spindles and rails. sp is just raw

Look at the specs on both sleds, on the left side near the bottom it gives the handlebar info. Tunnel is also powder coated black on the SP. Only the Summit Sport has an uncoated tunnel.

http://www.ski-doo.com/content/dam/...ts/Spec-sheets/2017_Summit_X_850_ETEC_Web.pdf

http://www.ski-doo.com/content/dam/...s/Spec-sheets/2017_Summit_SP_850_ETEC_Web.pdf

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Buy your elkas from the factory here in Canada, would be so cheap with our poor dollar.

The Elka Stage 5 shocks are FANTASTIC!!!!
High speed dampening
Low speed dampening
rebound
dual or triple rate shocks with preload adjustments.

LEARN THE SCIENCE BEFORE YOU start to adjust your shocks. LOL

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
Why even have the difference in weigh? Not gonna feel 6 pounds.
Sp for me.

I am just going by the pictures, so could be wrong,
but the SP with an 800 and 600 show painted rails and with an 850 shows not painted.

I would always go with painted rails since I have found they hold less snow in the suspension.

So maybe the SP will weigh more than 6LBS more than the X when riding

Premium Features