• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bca cylinder refill question

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I had my bca cylinder filled at a scuba shop. Guage reads 2900 psi in the house.(72 degees). Any one know if this is ok or should I have it refilled to 2500-2700 psi like it calls for. Thanks

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Tough call really. I wouldn't risk it. BCA recommends 2700, probably for a reason. I would blead it down to 2700 just to be safe

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
it will be fine.
As the cylinder cools to 0-30 degrees it will drop down in pressure to 25-2700 range. Mine gets filled the same way.

Not entirely true...cylinder is designed to be filled to 2700psi at 70 degrees (bottle temp). Then, if anything, it can drop in pressure from there and still be within pressure spec.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I had my bca cylinder filled at a scuba shop. Guage reads 2900 psi in the house.(72 degees). Any one know if this is ok or should I have it refilled to 2500-2700 psi like it calls for. Thanks

consider the temp and altitude you're riding at relative to your fill station. if you fill at high altitude in warm temps and ride low in cold temps, then you probably need the extra psi. in know it's an odd combination but it's one that can get people when vacationing (ie filling in a warm shop in montana and then returning home to the mid west).

i'd think you could take your tank outside in the cold temps and get it to read at 2700 at the same altitude. just a guess though.

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
My son accidently triggered his float 18 today while helping unstick a sled. It was also filled to aprox. 2900 psi at a scuba shop, but no damage. Not sure, but I think the air bleader for repacking the bag may act as a pressure release. Does anybody know for sure?

M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado
My son accidently triggered his float 18 today while helping unstick a sled. It was also filled to aprox. 2900 psi at a scuba shop, but no damage. Not sure, but I think the air bleader for repacking the bag may act as a pressure release. Does anybody know for sure?
thats the ay i understood the directions.just bought a float 30 and read the book.gotta remember to tuck the t-handle in when shoveling and stuff.more importantly remember to take it back out when you saddle up!!!!

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
2700psi is the average for filling the bag to full capacity at 70F with minimal blow-off. Less will still fill the bag and the book will tell you how low you can go on psi and still fully fill the bag. Don't try to 'bleed-off' any air as it's a one-shot deal when the pin is pulled or playing with the quick-connect valves on a charged bottle could get you seriously hurt. As far as bottle pressure, it's stamped directly on the neck of the bottle what the max-rated fill pressure is and it leaves a safety margin on top of that. Just keep in mind that a bottle filled at or close to its max pressure rating can blow if left in the hot sun. I don't see an over-pressure 'burst disk' on the little BSA bottles, so perhaps they engineered the valve o-ring to fail before the bottle or gage does, but that question is better left to BSA directly. I'm a certified tank inspector and could throw some real numbers out there, but only you know what you actually have in your hand and should read what information came with it or contact BSA to get the specific safety details for your system.

Premium Features