• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 Burn Down

butch1969

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
I have an 09 M8 with the SLP single kit on it. I was riding it into cooke city this thursday and the sled burnt down, taking out both my cylinders. When the sled turned shut down on the trail the Y pipe was glowing. Rode the kit all last season and never even had a hick-up. Loved the power too.

Has anyone had this problem on their M8? I know that there are a ton of people out there running this kit without a controller.

What the heck did i do wrong? I was running on the trail going into cooke and was pretty much all mid-range throttle.

Thanks,
Butch

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
were you running premium non-ethanol fuel??? early season burn downs are commonplace with carb sleds, not so much on the efi units. i am guessing you were running too long right before the powervalves open up, where the fuel curve is the leanest. combine that and poor fuel, old fuel, possible plugged injector(s). there may be your issue.

sorry to hear about your misfortune. ski

M
Mar 7, 2008
burn out

WOW hought i was on a skidoo forumn by accident for a minute! BTW - where was that 09 AC engine built??
and how was Cooke City?? are the land mines covered up good enough yet??
plan to go to Top of World soon but think may need alittle more snow there?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yikes! That's a ne wone on me too.

It sounds like either a batch of bad gas or the equivalent of a mid range needle in the fuel injector some how clogged. I have no idea how you could have prevented this since it's extrememly rare for one cyclinder to burn down, two cylinder burn downs are almost unheard of on the M8 (as far as I know).

Yes, the EGTs go through the roof at 4,500-5,000 RPm trail cruising. I try to vary my throttle position when in that area of operation.

Sorry dude, is it under warranty?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Where is your coolant level? Just wondering if if leaked out coolant and got hot.

Post some pics of the internals of the motor.

S

spiceyunicorn

Jun 20, 2010
NW, Iowa
holding the throttle at mid ranges is the worst thing you can do to a two stroke need to feather that throttle in the mid range

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
holding the throttle at mid ranges is the worst thing you can do to a two stroke need to feather that throttle in the mid range
x2...the m8s have a deadly mid range lean spot...if you went a long distance just in mid without feathering there may be nothing wrong with your sled..

butch1969

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
Snow was awesome in cooke city. We got into cooke on Thursday and the snow on friday morning was over the hood. Most land mines are covered up, but still gotta be a little cautious.

butch1969

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
I don't have pics of the cylinders or the pistons. The rings were melted to the pistons, and both the cylinders had some pretty good scaring. The motor would not turn even if trying to spin the primary. Most of the scaring was on the exhaust side of the cylinder if that makes sense.

I don't think the sled is under warranty anymore,I gotta check on my purchase date. Plus it wouldn't be covered anyway due to the pipe kit? correct?

Call me a dummy but....I also was towing a utility sled in, and had a passenger. Combine that with 8 inches of fresh on the trail...yeah real dumb, but guess I wasn't thinking when I got to the pilots creek at 1:00 in the morning. I was more concerned about getting to cooke and riding the awesome snow they had the next day.

I do know one thing, not gonna hold the sled in the mid-range anymore...

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
hey..now that was just nasty holding back those little details..lol..hope ya get back on track soon..

butch1969

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
Like I said...call me a dummy. LOL.
Just know I am NOT doing that crap again.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Both sides seized?? are you shure the oil pump is working??I have seen a few crank gears shear and the waterpump and oil pump stop

butch1969

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
Pretty sure they are working. Didnt really have that much time to ride it before it blew up. When I got it ready to ride, it smoked like normal, and I never got a coolant warning light. So I am guessing they both work. Last year I rode all season with no probs.

Yeah and both cylinders were done.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
usually when you pop from a midrange burn or super lean condition like that you melt a crater in the top of the piston... you get any of that?

Not sure if this happens with the 4 plugs on the 800s though???

butch1969

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
There were no craters on the pistons that I could see. Didnt really inspect it too much. The sled went back to the shop and I went to work. Pretty sure the coolant and oil pumps are working. Mid-range is what got me.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The extra load did it, I have pulled out sleds with my piped m1000 and had to stop because even burping the throttle the egts still get ridiculously hot. I added so much fuel to keep it cool that when I would hit a slight down hill it would load up and barely run. I was basically running with one hand constantly adjusting the bd box and one hand running the throttle and still stopping letting the belt and engine cool.

I would do a full rebuild if it stuck that bad, or a different engine. I would at least take the whole thing apart and clean it.

butch1969

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
A full rebuild? The engine didnt completely stick, it was able to move just not a full rev. Ill give everything a good look and cleaning, but didnt think that a full rebuild would be needed.

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
Last year, I tested a SLP single pipe kit on my 09 M8 (all is stock, stock intake, stock reed, stock engine, only SLP single pipe and right weight on clutch for RPM).

I ride between 500-3000ft and outside temperature is between -5 to -30degree Celcius.

When I rode this pipe on my m8, wow nice power, but the engine sound....lean! I look a spark plug.. brown but very light white after a loonnngg WOT run. But it's ok!I going to trail for go to ride emplacement... midrange ... ISHH.. engine sound VERY lean!, look a plug... WHITE with light brown!!!!, I continued my ride but a play with throttle too much, at end the run, I look again a plug... mid-white, mid-brown... I removed my SLP kit and sold it.

Sorry, but 0-3000feet with SLP single pipe kit NEED fuel box for a safe and reliable sled! If you spend a money on SLP pipe kit, you can spend a little much money for add a PowerCommander for right fuel combination.

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
Last year, I tested a SLP single pipe kit on my 09 M8 (all is stock, stock intake, stock reed, stock engine, only SLP single pipe and right weight on clutch for RPM).

I ride between 500-3000ft and outside temperature is between -5 to -30degree Celcius.

When I rode this pipe on my m8, wow nice power, but the engine sound....lean! I look a spark plug.. brown but very light white after a loonnngg WOT run. But it's ok!I going to trail for go to ride emplacement... midrange ... ISHH.. engine sound VERY lean!, look a plug... WHITE with light brown!!!!, I continued my ride but a play with throttle too much, at end the run, I look again a plug... mid-white, mid-brown... I removed my SLP kit and sold it.

Sorry, but 0-3000feet with SLP single pipe kit NEED fuel box for a safe and reliable sled! If you spend a money on SLP pipe kit, you can spend a little much money for add a PowerCommander for right fuel combination.
i understand what your saying. but i have talked to a lot of people runing SLP pipe set on a 07-09 m8 or crossfire. and have a lot of Kms or Miles on them and no problems. maybe you should of checked your fuel pressure. i'm glad for your response though and i will make sure to check my plugs often as i ride with this pipe set with my intake stock, stock reed's. only change i have made is in clutching. i have also done many warm ups and runs while on tghe track stand and my plugs look real nice. a light tan brown.

Someone else get in on this and let us know how your plugs look at an altitude of 0-3000'

Premium Features