• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Clutch Belt For the Axys 850 Patriot

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
In the last two season I have put well over 4,000 miles on the Gates C belts on both my Pro's and Axy's. I also run them for performance gain, much less heat fade than OEM. I have noticed they take a set when cold, if you don't warm them up properly I believe you'll have problems. I am a firm believer that those who have problems either have seriously worn motor mounts and or offset/tuning issues. I have never had one grenade so I can't speak for how they supposedly come apart. Great belt for the money and a warranty on top of it.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
how can you bring a spare gates into your axys and not fold it?

mine have been folded into the spare tray for god knows how long

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The a2d clutch kits I’ve been around run stiff springs in the primary and secondary and a helix thats really close to a Carl’s cycle helix.

TRS setup is much different soft springs and less steep helix.

The a2d kit I was around didn’t work very well, he later removed it and bought the Carl’s cycle setup. And now it’s at least consistent.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
how can you bring a spare gates into your axys and not fold it?

mine have been folded into the spare tray for god knows how long

Folding a carbon belt breaks the cords.
We pack our carbon belts either in our packs or in a tunnel bag. You can put the 183 in the belt holder for a spare. Saves you from putting one in your pack.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Folding a carbon belt breaks the cords.
We pack our carbon belts either in our packs or in a tunnel bag. You can put the 183 in the belt holder for a spare. Saves you from putting one in your pack.

i see it's too late for the one i have, brought sled with it as a spare. I'll know for he next one and spread the wisdom

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
The springs are much stiffer and the helix much steeper than the TRS setup. The setup on a stock sled rips though. It absolutely outperforms stock clutching and with the OEM belt, you'll pull well over 500+ miles. Currently have a sled with over 1000 miles on the same belt with that clutching.

I run the IS clutching for my turbo sled and we know this mirrors very close to Tony's setup.

I do know that being boosted at such low elevation, things are drastically different and much more difficult to fine tune. Seems that there is less margin for error before the engine gets pissed off at you up here. Versus when I went to Canada for a couple weeks things were substantially easier to dial in.

C
Jan 2, 2018
We also can play steep and deep.
Your Elevation is part of the equation I’m not familiar with. I would very much like to play there. We play from 6700’ on up
What I do know is we ride hard here at elevation. 70-90+ mile days in our back country.
What I do know about the carbon belt is if has ever been folded it will explode in less than 100miles. If your shipper or dealer gets them shipped folded, don’t purchase them.
I’m glad your having luck with the 183.

This explains a lot I went threw 3 gates belts this weekend alone and they were all back bent when I got them so I'm back to a polaris belt I really like how the gates work but 30 miles on a belt a little expensive

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
So any brand belt don’t bend it?
My skidoo holder bends the piss out of the spare belt.. I just put a new belt in there too :(
I’ll put them in the pack from now on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

CForest

Nov 23, 2010
Montana
I was going to buy the gates for a spare until I read I cant store it in the spare belt holder. Last thing i want to do is put more weight in my pack or take up space in my tunnel bag where it will likely get bent at some point anyways....

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Are you guys running the gates carbon belt on the 850 seeing good performance? Tried the gates belt on my Axys yesterday and lost 300rpm?? I run the gates on my 17 800 with great results but the 850 didnt like it.....belt was broken in and had 100mi on it.
And yes, i know the deflection needs changed and adjusted accordingly between the gates and poo belts

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
Kalispell, MT
Are you guys running the gates carbon belt on the 850 seeing good performance? Tried the gates belt on my Axys yesterday and lost 300rpm?? I run the gates on my 17 800 with great results but the 850 didnt like it.....belt was broken in and had 100mi on it.
And yes, i know the deflection needs changed and adjusted accordingly between the gates and poo belts

Same thing here, as well as a buddy of mine.

Truckeedoo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Truckee,CA
Blew my oem belt yesterday. Full birds nest. Leatherman barely cut it out. I used to get about 1,000 miles out of a stock belt. Only 526 on this one but snow has been over the top deep this year. I had a Gates carbon but had it folded into holder (I didn't know that was a no no). It did not work well. Deflection isn't right and squeaking, probably due to the folding. Darn it.
145a2576289f88bf18d056623546daac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chriswelters

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2009
Ishpeming MI
My belt pulled a cord across the top of the belt with 300 miles on it. The dealer shimmed my sec out, must not have been right from the factory

Another guy in our group completely grenaded a belt at 300 miles. Both OEM belts

We both broke in the first belt, then put another belt on the break it in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Tried the gates belt on my Axys yesterday and lost 300rpm??

I take this to mean that the Gates is gripping the clutches better, letting you use lighter weights to achieve right rpm.

Lighter weights = more responsive and better backshift.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I can't remember which thread it was but I think it was either Tory or Tony saying they are playing with whether or not the 183 belt is actually better performance than the new 216.

Me personally, I've had 1 belt blow out of the 4 sleds(~1800miles total). It was a 216(new) belt with roughly 400 miles on it. My damn deflection screw kept backing out and I'd hear the squealing and stop to tighten it but the damage was done. The belt never did "blow" because I side lined it after it had a 5" pulled cord. It's now a backup in my trailer to become a backup on a sled if I have some bad luck on a long weekend ha.

3 of those sleds ran A2D Sledworks clutching for quite awhile and now 2 are boosted running setups from Indy Specialty.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
Kalispell, MT
With TRS clutching the gates belt is much preferred over the 16 belt, at least from my experience. WAY better bottom end and I think it actually lets the clutching work as intended. I am running the 47c gates belt and had to drop 3g clutch weight in order to keep the RPM the same.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
With TRS clutching the gates belt is much preferred over the 16 belt, at least from my experience. WAY better bottom end and I think it actually lets the clutching work as intended. I am running the 47c gates belt and had to drop 3g clutch weight in order to keep the RPM the same.

The Gates loads the engine. We have found that NA or Turbos need less weight over the 3211216 belt.

Premium Features