• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 help

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
So my friends 850 has 740 miles and no issues so far tell now. Sled always ran 8150-8300 at 3000-4500 ' using all stock clutching 74g, stock sled 163x2.6.
Sled now hits 8000 rpm for 5-10 seconds then drops to 7200-7400 rpm and stays there. Dealer looked at it and compression, power valves, clutches, all check out according to them. Any suggestions on what to check next ?

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Interesting... on the older sleds I'd say it's a relay, but these 850's are for the most part ran by blade fuses now. Hummmm.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Theres only a few things that it can be.... power valves not one of them.... take the belt off and see if it revs up.. if it does its a under load thing... in that case i would be looking at fuel.. low pressurr at pump.. bummed injector, possably a coil going bad/loose plug wire but thats less likely.. if it wont rev with the belt off id be going to something let go in the clutch... possably internal engine issue but also unlikely as these have been reliable engines so far unless you ask "the sky is falling" man on here. pull a plug see if it looks lean etc... quick and easy thing too do..

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Tried to hit quote not Rate sorry ..

These are all good remidiea but what about the pipe sensor on the rear . ?

I've been seeing weird issues also but very intermittent . Hope for reflash !! + $13,500 trade please .

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Plugs are good, it idles great 1900-2000 Rpm, goes in reverse with out issue.

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
Do these motors have a power valve cable?

I've read that the 800's would break the cable about 800 miles. Still run fine on the bottom end.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Theres only a few things that it can be.... power valves not one of them.... take the belt off and see if it revs up.. if it does its a under load thing... in that case i would be looking at fuel.. low pressure at pump.. bummed injector, possably a coil going bad/loose plug wire but thats less likely.. if it wont rev with the belt off id be going to something let go in the clutch... possably internal engine issue but also unlikely as these have been reliable engines so far unless you ask "the sky is falling" man on here. pull a plug see if it looks lean etc... quick and easy thing too do..

Being the 850's now have a sensor for both fuel pressure and fuel temp, I wonder if the pump isn't working properly (recall been performed if required). I mention this as fuel pressure wasn't mentioned in what the dealer supposedly checked. I'm guessing that if fuel PSI isn't at what's required for the higher RPMs, it may put the engine into a "reduced" power mode limiting the RPMs.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Plugs are good, it idles great 1900-2000 Rpm, goes in reverse with out issue.

Well than ya possably egt probe... just unplug it and see what it does... engine will throw a code and go into a default map... still leaning on fuel though or something related... your dealer should be able to figure it out its still under warrenty so what diffrence does it make really, sit back drink a beer and let them worry about it... unless you got knobs for a dealer u should have it back pretty quick...

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Have you personally experienced this issue and found it to be the exhaust probe? Just looking for more explanation.

Have had it happen on 800 would work good till heat got to it the it would not ohm correctly. But would when cold it would check out fine very frustrating.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The deal checked it over and said to go try it, I rode it and it runs good just only hits 7400 rpm wfo. No bog, runs like nothing is wrong just low rpm 7400. Starts second pull cold, one pull after that, still idles fine, no engine light.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
The deal checked it over and said to go try it, I rode it and it runs good just only hits 7400 rpm wfo. No bog, runs like nothing is wrong just low rpm 7400. Starts second pull cold, one pull after that, still idles fine, no engine light.

Do a push / pull test of the E-VES cable- make sure it isn’t broken. Running normal until 7400 sounds like exhaust valves because that is the rpm of the full open position.

The ECU is also constantly monitoring various sensor values. If it doesn’t like what it sees, it will send a command code to E-VES system to hold valves at mid position and fuel accordingly.

Premium Features