• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 vs Polaris Pro

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
The 1000 isn't on the same level for a boondock sled as a pro. Unless all you want to do is climb straight up big hills you should definitely get the pro. If that is what you are into buy a turbo. 1000s were a good sled but 4-5 years of newer better technology has come a long ways. Now if you were deciding between a proclimb and a pro that would be a tougher decision.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Not to completely throw a wrench in it, but what about the Proclimb vs the Pro's?

I wouldn't touch a 12. 13s are better but I believe if rode a certain way they are still belt blowers. 14 MAYBE? they have the issues worked out...

Handling wise its no Pro but a step up from the M in most areas.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
2010,11 m8's are limited to about 175HP

the m1000 the way it's set up is 195-200 HP all day long, and with a $2500 Ez Ryde rear skid , it will climb and boondock just fine, buy the m1000 and you will have your buddies on the REV and Pro wish they could go where u go, even tho the pro will hang with you unless u climb the steep and deep. I've seen pros clib some pretty steep terrain with out much problem, but typically there smaller 160-170 LB guys, and they had a big run at the hill, there's a lot of steep terrain where you can't take a run at it , and this is where your 6'5' 220 lb frame will LOVE THE M1000 I'M A BIGGER GUY 6'1" 250 LBS W/O GEAR and i've been on a M series the last 5 sleds, about 6 or 7 years- Now I'm addicted to BOOST last 2 M's have been boosted, and will never go back to N/A

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
I do have a very good question. Broke the steering column off on my M7 this season. They do anything to fix that for the 07 M1000?

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
:lol: gotta luv the internet.

Ya no sh!t, no comparison get the Pro with the fix kit for 585 like Dave has suggested.

DD is a pretty credible forum member.

Not sure what all the chatter about turbo's is but as far as the ad's go neither are turboed.

Last edited:

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I do have a very good question. Broke the steering column off on my M7 this season. They do anything to fix that for the 07 M1000?

If it has the adjustable post it is prone to breaking, I have one and haven't broke mine but depends how agressive/abusive you are to your sled. The main issue is the bulkhead breaking where post attaches. ModRods makes a wicked brace that stiffens the post mounts and makes the sled feel more solid.
As far as 1000 motor issues, get rid of the oil injection, careful on what mods you do with proper tuning and it will last up to 5K miles. In our area Doos and Poos are on the hook most often usually being pulled by an M1. Most 1000 problems I have seen are lack of oil and poor tuning. Engine only weighs 10lbs more than an 800. Been proven on a scale. Most of the other weight was in the stock exhaust over an 800. Proper suspension setup on a well tuned 1000 with a lightweight can and you would think you were on a pump gas turbo 800 if you didn't know what was under the hood.
Track selection is huge too. 07-08 tracks were soft POS. Extreme 2.5 or PC 2.6 and no nonturbo 800 will touch you on a hill.
Another plus is the M1 will cost way less, parts are cheaper and way more plentiful thanks to everyone giving up on old sleds and you will be riding a sled you can find in the parking lot because it won't look like what everyone else is riding.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
the m1000 the way it's set up is 195-200 HP all day long, and with a $2500 Ez Ryde rear skid , it will climb and boondock just fine, buy the m1000 and you will have your buddies on the REV and Pro wish they could go where u go, even tho the pro will hang with you unless u climb the steep and deep. I've seen pros clib some pretty steep terrain with out much problem, but typically there smaller 160-170 LB guys, and they had a big run at the hill, there's a lot of steep terrain where you can't take a run at it , and this is where your 6'5' 220 lb frame will LOVE THE M1000 I'M A BIGGER GUY 6'1" 250 LBS W/O GEAR and i've been on a M series the last 5 sleds, about 6 or 7 years- Now I'm addicted to BOOST last 2 M's have been boosted, and will never go back to N/A

200 hp with a head and y pipe???

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
PC vs Pro, PC is fun but will not do what a pro will in the steep sidehill department but from my experience will take a pro in a climb pretty hard.

AV8er, is more interested in going up the hill than the fun factor arent you?

I killed some pros on a well setup 1000 but I also spent a lot in failures and setups to figure out how to make the 1000 work right and get the best of it. (ps. they take money to get right, along with the right eduction, then add in more skill) but that is also me being able to ride the 1000 and I had a lot of fun on the pro and am very impressed, like I've always said. Stock for stock on any sled I will take the pro for extreme backcountry riding. Until it blows up.

Your better off giving a dollar amount on how much you want to spend all together, your riding style and then we can tell you the best sled for you. The more info you give the better answer you get.

B

Beavis

Dec 16, 2007
Utah
I had 2 modded m1000's with all the stuff you need done to make them run. (Pipes, Power Commanders, suspension changes, new seats, new ski's, NoS, blah, blah, blah). They were/are great sleds, loved the torque of that motor. My list of reliability issues was long though - 2 broken clutches, crank bearing, piston sieze, and diamond drive fail.

I now ride a stock Pro and wouldn't go back for anything. They are simply way funner to ride. If you want that M chassis and are concerned about Polaris reliability then I'd get a '10-'11 m8. Again, way funner sled to ride than the M1000 in my opinion.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
for under 5g you can put together a 1M that will kick both their azzes. js

Premium Features