• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

to change gears or not to change gears, that is the question

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
I have a project going on and would like to figure out if I need to change my gears. The sled is a 02 rmk 800 with a 16g turbo. I would like to also do the work to fit a 174 on it. So will the stock gears that have pushed my 159 be enough? I am thinking yes but would like a second opinion!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Is that 159x2 to 174x2.5? That's a pretty big jump. The turbo power should drive it fine, but out of the hole, when you aren't on the boost is where you'll see issues I would think. I ran a 166 for a while and the belt heat generated right off of idle was pretty bad even though I had plenty of HP to move the track once I got going.

You might could dial back the initial angle of the helix to compensate for it and keep the same gearing... that would be a good option so you don't give up topend track speed from the turbo.

sled_guy

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
id change the gears, how fast do you really need to go? id rather have acceleration than top end

I doubt he is worried about how fast, more like how much track speed.

I'd leave it alone if its still stock gearing. Like Sledguy said, maybe dial back the initial angle to get it moving a bit easier.

You are going to have about 70mph track speed.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
you think he will still have 74 mph track speed with a 174 track? i would go to a 40 or 41 bottom. i guess it kinda depends on what you do? are you into hill climbing or boondocking or what? hill climb maybe stick with stock gearing, but playin in the trees? id gear it, but i guess with a 174 track your probly gonna climb hills

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Mitsu turbo's are oil and water cooled, what did you do for water lines? Are you running a big/small or evo3 16g?

Last edited:

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
What are the Stock Gears / Never Hear ?

20 42 does a good job of taking out the slack in the chain

picture.php
[/IMG]

Premium Features