• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 king cat 900 162

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
If you add long risers, build a support for the steering stem. I used an old handlebar clamp and spaced it with a small washer between the halfs. Made a plate that bolted though the bolts for the top stem bushing and brought it out to give extra support above the original bushing. This added a lot of strength to the noodle stem! If you open you hood and watch down by your carbs you will se that the steering stem will rub on the carb boots when you start pulling on the bars. You will know when you have a powder bog! Proper jetting helps along with a front dump can or a very good snow deflector. I don't know about the Holz drop brackets but the SJ limited the transfer some and made a more controlled ski lift. The air intake by the chaincase should be blocked off, with extra air intake somewhere else. They suck in all the hot air off the can and pipe and also any steam under the hood. Makes for poor performance. Keep the track as loose as you can without ratcheting. Kind of sketchy but a few things to look at.

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
If you add long risers, build a support for the steering stem. I used an old handlebar clamp and spaced it with a small washer between the halfs. Made a plate that bolted though the bolts for the top stem bushing and brought it out to give extra support above the original bushing. This added a lot of strength to the noodle stem! If you open you hood and watch down by your carbs you will se that the steering stem will rub on the carb boots when you start pulling on the bars. You will know when you have a powder bog! Proper jetting helps along with a front dump can or a very good snow deflector. I don't know about the Holz drop brackets but the SJ limited the transfer some and made a more controlled ski lift. The air intake by the chaincase should be blocked off, with extra air intake somewhere else. They suck in all the hot air off the can and pipe and also any steam under the hood. Makes for poor performance. Keep the track as loose as you can without ratcheting. Kind of sketchy but a few things to look at.

Hey Digger,
thanks for the dirt. some good info. there. I'll surely take into consideration.
thanks guys,
biGjOhn

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
go with the wildchild forward post and you can have him make it any height you would like and this gets you away from the riser block. had mine made 2"+ over stock and wish i would have went 3".

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
go with the wildchild forward post and you can have him make it any height you would like and this gets you away from the riser block. had mine made 2"+ over stock and wish i would have went 3".

He is pretty tall and may end up extending everything before he is done! I'm 6'4" and raised mine 5 1/2" and rolled it forward some. I have about half the cost of one of wildchild's post in it and it's not as strong or light but my fuel bill to get to the mountains eats up a lot of accy. money! I have my welder and lathe and am not happy unless I'm jerry-rigging something!

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
BTW I'm 6' and full of it, but this another post
just put the O'les riser on one of my buddys kk and we measured from the board to the top of the handle bar on mine with a 2"+ wildchild and his with the 3.5" O'les and his was only a half inch taller.

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
ok, so If i'm sniffing this out right... the WildChild is whole new steering post? So it can be made to what ever desired height, right? It is also made so that it moves the bars forward a couple inches too? I'm just guessing but, being 6'5", 280 Lbs. and a pretty aggressive rider, I'm gonna need some supplemental support for that thing? If the bars get extended, that is gonna give me a lot more leverage when yanking the sled over for side hilling, thus making it more likely to snap or bend the steering post, yes? I did read somewhere on here where a guy added an additional post bracket, that would probably be prudent as well...

So what if anything else does the WC do? bars forward, custom height... anything else?

thanks

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
he uses a stronger post (yes all new post) and i have about 2k on mine and all are hard mt miles and have not bent this one. it will flex a little but haven't bent one yet. he will make it for stock or to mount on the other side of the steering hoop (forward mount) but i would go forward mount all the way.

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
he uses a stronger post (yes all new post) and i have about 2k on mine and all are hard mt miles and have not bent this one. it will flex a little but haven't bent one yet. he will make it for stock or to mount on the other side of the steering hoop (forward mount) but i would go forward mount all the way.

AH AH! I see, his new post mounts IN FRONT of the hoop, clever idea! does it come with or need any extra hardware to relo. the mount? How much does he sell them for? Wonder if he can make one out of thicker wall tubing for us "gorilla types"? wonder where I could fab an additional support for it if nec.? Read some guy did with a bar clamp with washers in it to space it from actually clamping. Imagine he used some kind of bushing in it too?

I'm just wondering, have any of you tall guys felt that was an improvement and didn't feel bent over at the waist and out over the bars? The reason I ask is because being 6'5" tall, let's face it, sleds aren't designed for guys like me... more like 5'10" or so... So I can never stand STRAIGHT up and ride... I tried once putting an 8" riser with 2.5" pivot riser base on one of my sleds, I could stand straight up but...
not only did I look like I was riding a chopper with "ape hangers" but when sitting down, the bars were SO tall, they bounced back and forth, side to side a foot or so, like a sail boat mast... made it VERY hard to ride sitting down. Anyway, my question I guess is, since I can't put my feet any farther forward, with the forward position of the post, does it feel as if you are leaning forward and bent at the waist, awkwardly out over the bars or is it an improvement? (just asking the tall guys here) - we have different geometry, LOL.

thanks again,
biGjOhn

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Here is what I have done to my 2003 900 1M and it will pretty much hang with anything stock and many modified seds....the sled is way better than the rider (me) I can say that much......power (even stock) is not an issue. To keep up with the newer sleds you need to improve the rider ergonomics by getting your seating position more upright and forward. The BOSS highrise seat and Wildchild forward bend steering post wil take care of both of these areas and make the sled feel like an entirely new machine....

Sled Mods:

· V-Force III Reeds
· Holtzman ATTAC
· RKT Billet High Compression Head 14.6:1 ratio
· SLP Ceramic Coated Single Pipe
· PPP Ceramic Coated Can
· SLP Hi-Flow Air Intake System
· 2005 King Cat Pull Starter Rope Guide Tube
· FOX Floats Air Shocks (Front Suspension)
· SLP Powder Pro Skis (Yellow)
· Custom Yellow Graphics
· Factory Mechanical Reverse
· RacePak Avenger III EGT/Water Temp Gauge
· Team Arctic Bronze Chrome Windshield
· Muff Pot cooker
· BOSS NOSS Nitrous Oxide System (40hp Shot)
· BOSS High-rise Flat Top Seat
· Ice Scratchers
· Black Magic Anti-Ratchet Drivers (3.0” pitch/8 drivers)
· Attack 20 162” Track (Hillclimb Position)
· Sledjunky Billet Drop Brackets
· Snow Eliminators
· Arctic Cat Factory Long Track Conversion Kit:
o 162” Rails
o Rear tunnel section
o Rail grips
o Coolant Line Extensions
o Driveshaft W/3.0” Drivers
· Anti-Stab Idler Wheel Kit
· “WildChild” Chromoly Steering Post (Forward Bend +2” Rise, Resin Filled)
· RSI 8” Bar Risers
· RSI Chromoly Steering Post (Race Bend/ No Rise/ Pre-Hooked Bar Ends)
· RSI Bar Pad
· Custom Built control Wiring W/”Flexo-Pet” looming
· Custom N20 Safety Switch and Activation Switch
· Ruffian Grips
· Gravityworx Racing Left Hand Throttle
· Gravityworx Custom Throttle Cable
· SLP Steel Braided Brake line
· TEAM Industries Twintrax TSS-04 Secondary Clutch
· Holeshot Skidplate

RSIBars027.jpg

RSIBars019.jpg

1MSnowEliminators002.jpg

1MSnowEliminators006.jpg

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
AH AH! I see, his new post mounts IN FRONT of the hoop, clever idea! does it come with or need any extra hardware to relo. the mount? How much does he sell them for? Wonder if he can make one out of thicker wall tubing for us "gorilla types"? wonder where I could fab an additional support for it if nec.? Read some guy did with a bar clamp with washers in it to space it from actually clamping. Imagine he used some kind of bushing in it too?

I'm just wondering, have any of you tall guys felt that was an improvement and didn't feel bent over at the waist and out over the bars? The reason I ask is because being 6'5" tall, let's face it, sleds aren't designed for guys like me... more like 5'10" or so... So I can never stand STRAIGHT up and ride... I tried once putting an 8" riser with 2.5" pivot riser base on one of my sleds, I could stand straight up but...
not only did I look like I was riding a chopper with "ape hangers" but when sitting down, the bars were SO tall, they bounced back and forth, side to side a foot or so, like a sail boat mast... made it VERY hard to ride sitting down. Anyway, my question I guess is, since I can't put my feet any farther forward, with the forward position of the post, does it feel as if you are leaning forward and bent at the waist, awkwardly out over the bars or is it an improvement? (just asking the tall guys here) - we have different geometry, LOL.

thanks again,
biGjOhn

I'm 6'5" and just over 200 with gear. I did the forward post using Wildchild's version. It is hands down one of THE best changes I did to the 2002 ZR 800 (136 x 1.6). I have much better control of the sled and toss it around quite easily. Boondocking and short hook turns no problemo. Makes the sled feel lighter. Do not question this mod any further.....git er done!

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Same here...I'm 6' 3" 250lbs and can throw it around with ease and no more bent posts with the Wildchild post (I hope). If you are going to raise your bars as much as I did (see pics above) you almost have to get a highrise seat or you will look like that ape hanger that SuaveGato is referring too :D With the combination of the seat and forward bend bars, your ergonomics are pretty darn similar to the new sleds on the market today. I actually find it better than some of the new sleds as well...

P
Nov 22, 2008
BC
i have a completely stock 03 1M 900 159 and my brother's tricked out 800 Vertical Escape 159 manages to keep up to it. he has slp intake pipe can and y pipe. as soon as i get the clutching done and throw a single pipe on i doubt he could catch me. just not so sure i like the rider position as much as the newer sleds. has amazing low end pull.

Premium Features