• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Strange noise on 19 Summits.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My Summit is making a horrible noise, sounds like it is coming from the belt guard. Then I rode it without the guard and it is making the same noise. Can't figure it out. Happens when coasting 20-30 MPH, more so in bumps. Anyone else? I noticed that someone else had the same issue in another thread that I had going.
The noise sounds like gravel in a blender.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
No, it is nothing obvious. Thanks though. I thought that it may be a tight track rubbing on the nose of the rails, but loosened it up and still doing it. I am thinking that something in the clutch is making noise, but it is working like it should, so dunno.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
What it sounds like, in front, but this track is so much tighter than I usually run......
I would think that I am FOS but another guy posted the same issue...

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
You know, I am going to look closer tomorrow. It does sound like a chunk of ice rubbing between the heat exchanger and track. Maybe there is something in there, I don't hear it when on the gas but hear it when coasting. But again, another guy with same issue....

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Just asking, since these things do make weird noises out the trail sometimes. I have had ice be the culprit most of the time.

Though the drivers do make a odd sound in certain conditions.

Also was anything possibly left under the hood or dropped into never never land under the engine while your recoil was being fixed?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Lol, I know. It made the sounds out of the crate. No difference after fixing the recoil issue. It does sound like ice, have had that happen. I did search around under the clutches and engine when I had the hood off.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
1st suspect would be rails moving into drivers or into nubs on track, 2nd choice would be track too loose or bolt or something not tight in skid.....main clue is backward pressure on track i.e. slowing, especially in bumps which would accentuate a wave in track and the subsequent noise/vibration....anyway, that's where i would start, if you're sure ice buildup is not the problem...

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
3” track? They vibrate the tunnel quite a bit, and mine was a little out of alignment and rubbing on the drop bracket when it was new. But it sounds like you may have something else goin on.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Mine made the noise initially as well. I haven't had time to look at it but it seemed to go away after I took it out for a quick burn. I'll check it tonight and report back. It's not ice.

C

CHAOS RACING

Mar 5, 2012
North East
Sounds like a stone crusher / bearing coming apart on decel. Haven't had time to look into it yet but I did find a circlip on the garage floor where the sled was sitting?? I'll probably just ride it until it blows apart and leave it at the dealer when it does. And yes my recoil is bad as well needs the updated part

Premium Features