• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

chain oil change help?

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Hello,

Changing my chain case oil in my alpha right now. I'm counting 13 bolts size torx-30 to remove. PITA and then somehow get the oil res and chain case thing outta the way to clean the chain/case area. Some of the bolts are hiding in the bottom of the case too with little access holes. ?WTF?? I've got it drained. Thinking about just filling it back up with new fluid and forgetting the removal and cleaning inside the case. I know that's not the best option but my word, what ass pain to remove. What has you guys done? Thanks

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
It is a pain, and no real easy way to get it out without tearing the plastics apart. This is one of the many benefits of a belt drive, but if that's not in the cards, I would only do a full cleaning once a year or every 1000 miles or so and just swap fuild. That is your call though.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I know right?? I always cleaned the inside and inspected my chain/case on my summit, but ski-doo design allowed you to do that with reasonable effort. This Arctic chain case is like comparing removing an oil pan to change the oil on your car. I'm planning on filling with new oil today and avoiding the case removal.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Only reason I would ever pull that cover off is to put a belt drive on. If I am that worried about what is going on there then I would have a belt drive already. Drain/Refill/ride. Now if I saw something concerning after draining I may investigate by pulling the cover but I guarantee its not going back on. Its belt drive at that point lol

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I know right?? I always cleaned the inside and inspected my chain/case on my summit, but ski-doo design allowed you to do that with reasonable effort. This Arctic chain case is like comparing removing an oil pan to change the oil on your car. I'm planning on filling with new oil today and avoiding the case removal.
It's the same except the cat chaincase is messier than a car oil pan change.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
I too wouldn’t pull a cover to look inside unless I noticed something in the oil when I drained it. But I also change oil after 1st ride then every 500kms. I feel like there is an aluminum gear in there because there is always a light discolouration with the oil which doesn’t happen with steel only gears.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Do you guys know torque spec on the drain plug?
Couldn't find it in the book...
Have 100 miles and looks pretty silver so thinking the break-in change would be good now.

Z
Jan 26, 2011
I believe that the non-drop and rolled chain cases used on ZR's and other low elevation sleds do not have a drain plug. While the mountain sleds with drop/roll have drain plugs.
Must be. I just looked at the difference on countrycats web site. Wish the trail sleds had that. Not hard to drain, but you have to really tear into the sled to do it.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I've seen a couple people talk about aluminum sprockets in the chaincase. As I just replaced the case halves on my wife's 2018 M6000, I can tell you both gears are steel. Not sure what would cause a metallic look to the fluid, but hers was a dark gray when it puked out the bottom... Couple days of riding in since the rebuild, so I'll probably do a drain an fill after the next ride just to flush out any junk that shouldn't be in there.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I've seen a couple people talk about aluminum sprockets in the chaincase. As I just replaced the case halves on my wife's 2018 M6000, I can tell you both gears are steel. Not sure what would cause a metallic look to the fluid, but hers was a dark gray when it puked out the bottom... Couple days of riding in since the rebuild, so I'll probably do a drain an fill after the next ride just to flush out any junk that shouldn't be in there.
All the 800's I have seen have an aluminum bottom gear AC has been using them for 5 or more years.

Premium Features