• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trail can advise. doing pre-season research

P
Apr 10, 2019
PDX
hey guys. I sno-checked the new summit X Expert 154. And now building my "to get list" parts list.

One thing on the list for sure, is a can. To save on weight and be a little louder then stock. I have narrowed down my noise level to trail can territory. Here are what I see ran the most.
would like your input.

-GGB Trail can
-SLP COMPETITION SERIES SILENCER (claimed below 88 decibels right in the trail can territory)
-MBRP Trail

other?
what do you run? have you had any experience listening to them side by side? reliability of these?

I have listened to just about every sound clip I could find on YouTube. Mostly are GGB. And the least results found was SLP.
I did hear a few downsides to MBRP. So I'm more curious about the other 2. Let me know. Thanks

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Diamond s mfg is a quiet can available in stainless are titanium.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
hey guys. I sno-checked the new summit X Expert 154. And now building my "to get list" parts list.

One thing on the list for sure, is a can. To save on weight and be a little louder then stock. I have narrowed down my noise level to trail can territory. Here are what I see ran the most.
would like your input.

-GGB Trail can
-SLP COMPETITION SERIES SILENCER (claimed below 88 decibels right in the trail can territory)
-MBRP Trail

other?
what do you run? have you had any experience listening to them side by side? reliability of these?

I have listened to just about every sound clip I could find on YouTube. Mostly are GGB. And the least results found was SLP.
I did hear a few downsides to MBRP. So I'm more curious about the other 2. Let me know. Thanks

What are the downsides to mbrp?

P
Apr 10, 2019
PDX
I would look at getting the Standard SLP Light Weight Silencer I think it would be a better fit for your application if you are concerned about noise.

no, that one is to close to stock. I want some noise just not race can or mountain can. those are way over tolerable levels. cant hear my self think.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Jaws trail, makes 1 hp, kinda loud vs other trail cans
HPS, makes 1 hp, kinda quiet
DP BCB, makes 1 hp, loud
SPI stainless mountain lite, lw, loud makes 1 hp

didnt list the others for a reason-BJ

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
no, that one is to close to stock. I want some noise just not race can or mountain can. those are way over tolerable levels. cant hear my self think.

The SLP comp is a mountain can. They are loud.

In my experience (on Polaris) the GGB trail can is loud as well. Its not a mountain can... but not far behind. No experience with MBRP but have heard of some quality issues as well.

My pick for a nice sound with out being super loud would be HPS. I realize you didn't list them but I do think it is the best option for tolerable noise and good quality.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I had MBRP, too loud (even the trail can). Have owned multiple HPS cans and love the sound and fit and finish. Not too loud, great weight savings and nice ceramic coat finish.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
With any can you buy …

get a mechanical muffler with all metal venting / baffles and lasts a long time.

Get a glass packed muffler and the packing needs replacement … eventually

Premium Features