• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ringing Noise 2012 RMK PRO 800

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
My '13 has the same ring at the same basic RPM range. 4500-5500 or there abouts. My primary is solid with nothing loose. Secondary is solid with nothing out of the ordinary noticed. QD assembly is solid with bolts retorqued.

My noise is definitely coming from the clutch side of the sled and only when the sled is moving slowly. A couple other pros i ride with make the same sound but not all.

If you have ever heard what it sounds like when you rub your finger around the rim of a crystal glass, thats similar to what my ringing is but a different higher pitched tone.

I'm used to it now and would probably think something was wrong if it ever stopped. LOL :face-icon-small-hap

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I could definitely see this being the brake. It does come from that side and if you know anything about resonance this makes total sense. It could also be something else reacting to the frequency produced at these rpm's. Keep us posted if anyone figures out exactly what it is. Like I said it could very well be the brake. I'm on my way back up to ride and will do some testing and report back.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

hypertoys

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2012
Dawson Creek
www.hypertoys.ca
Riding my 2013 Pro this year I heard the same noise. I found that the Spider Nut in the Drive clutch had wear mark on it. So I suspected the Drive spring is rubbing on the spider nut. When I removed the spring and I found that it was bent. So I replaced the spring and sanded the edges of the spider nut where the contact was being made and the noise is gone now. You could also try an arctic cat spider nut (they are shorter and are already tapered)

Cheers

W
Nov 13, 2010
it is the disc brake pucks, just lift with finger and let it go ,it is loose enough to rattle, very evident, we seen this when we removed wore out cross shaft on 2013 pro, they need one .020 spacer on shaft between bearing and shaft lip and retorque to specs, doesn't clamp bearing inner race enough , comes loose and bearing turns on shaft, cog belts get somewhat loose and belt strips cogs off, shaft had about .020 to .025 wear

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Riding my 2013 Pro this year I heard the same noise. I found that the Spider Nut in the Drive clutch had wear mark on it. So I suspected the Drive spring is rubbing on the spider nut. When I removed the spring and I found that it was bent. So I replaced the spring and sanded the edges of the spider nut where the contact was being made and the noise is gone now. You could also try an arctic cat spider nut (they are shorter and are already tapered)

Cheers

After further inspection this is what I have found on mine
Definitely spring to spider nut contact as I can see wear marks on it.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
After further inspection this is what I have found on mine
Definitely spring to spider nut contact as I can see wear marks on it.

I have this wear on my 13 SBA, but I canot see how it would make the ringing (washer on loose bolt sound)?

The brake pad retaining pin was my first thought, followed by the secondary shims/washer.

However, I know it sounds silly, but I get this same sound when my Muffpot is empty...... when full I do not hear it.

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Also check bushing wear in your primary weights. If the weight has some slop on the pin, you will get some ringing, rattling clutch noise that changes at different rpms. This solved it for me.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Have the same ringing noise. Sounds like a washer wiggling or something to that effect. Def. sounds like its on the clutch side. Started at about 550 miles on her.

A
Oct 30, 2008
Same ringing on my 11. Started 2 days ago. Sounds like something is loose on the right hand side. Cannot locate it.

4GR8X

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Star, ID
Up until today i have had no complaints or problems with my RMK. But about 1 hour in to our day i started hearing a ringing sound between 4500-5300 RPMs and didnt like the sound of it so headed back and only got worse as i rode back and the ringing would be between 4200-6000 RPMs by the time i got back. Shes only about 600 miles young?

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Greetings Ratchetrider530,

I also have a 2012, one day I heard a ringing/buffing sound. In my case I found the shield protecting the TPS switch had a broken mount. The mount is underneath the clutch clover. The shield is held in place with three aluminum rivets on the clutch cover. When the shield protecting the TPS switch broke the shield rotated slightly and begin rubbing on the inside of the secondary clutch.

Craig.

D
Mar 31, 2011
Might have been brought up before but two sleds in our group, mine and another guy's have had the upper left chain case bolt loosen and back out till it rubs on the back of the brake disc. Makes an awful screeching/ ringing sound. Kinda hard to locate at first cause it almost seems to come from the clutch side but it isn't. Both sleds are '12s. Kinda odd it was the same bolt on both sleds. His has around 550 miles I think and mine has 850

A
Oct 30, 2008
Found it! Blew the chaincase yesterday... Driveaxle bolt had sheared off and ended up between the lower gear and chain. Ported chaincase anyone? :)

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
For all you electric start owners with ringing noise on clutch side.
Check if the starter drive is contacting the clutch ring gear when sled is in motion. 5000rpm to WOT.
Have seen this first hand on a # of Polaris sleds. Most recent experience was with a 2012 Pro with 1800 + miles .
I think the starter drive return spring gets fatigued and at certain RPM the engine harmonics actually throws the starter drive lightly against the ring gear.
If this condition does exist on your E-Start sled a distinct ringing noise will be heard .
Also can be verified by inspecting the starter drive gear. You will be able to see a lot of wear on the gear where it makes contact with the ring gear.
Have seen the gear with 50% of the gear width worn away.
No know fix other then new starter drive.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
anyone having a problem with a ringing noise needs to remove and inspect your pull starter. there is a bushing in it that centers the reel. if ther reel is flopping around it will cause a ringing noise due to contact with the starter hub. it sounds almost like a bell.just did one on a used sled i just picked up hope this helps.

Premium Features