• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 RMK 550 jetting

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Are you running the ACCS?

I looked in my 1999 specs for the Trail RMK 550 and it shows factory jetting of 270 mains for all altitudes from +10F to +40F.

Main jets of 260 for +40F and above for all elevations.

290 mains for -20F to +10F for all elevations

310 mains for below -20F for all elevations

Jet needle clip in position #3 except for 0-3000 ft where you move it to #4. (#1 being the top groove)

I am pretty sure they didn't change anything for 2000 on that sled. I think the main issue with that engine was it ran lean in the midrange so you might want to run the clip in position #4 to richen that up a bit if you're concerned about it.

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
Ok I'll richen it up some, I'm using the accs but I won't take it anywhere but the flatlands.

I did up plug an oil injection line right on the carb so I could clean it, I shouldn't have to worry about air bubbles there would I?

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
I just got this sled, it had 270 jets in it and it won't idle well it backfires. I cleaned the carbs and currently have 300 mains in it.

Is my accs acting up and how would you remove that, use the same jetting?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
You could remove the ACCS by moving the carb float bowl vent lines to the airbox or to the handlebar area. Do a search on here as ACCS removal has been covered a few times. If you do remove it then jet it as same as the 2000 Super Sport. If you go to http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/OurCompany/Parts-Manuals/PartsManuals/9915368r01.pdf you can find the jetting chart under the owners manual.

On the other hand if it is backfiring at idle I think you may have some other issues like a broken reed valve or even a bad piston. Have you done a compression test or looked at the piston crown and skirts by pulling the y pipe?

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
What causes them lean condition? Would you slap a piston in and just jet up some? Also I heard about air bubbles, what's the problem the 550s have? Thanks

B

BROX

Nov 27, 2007
WA
The gen II 550 were pretty much bulletproof and ran a long time. I had a 2000 550 that was a great sled and never had a single problem. From what i have heard/read most the problems with the 550 were in the edge chassis because they didn't cool as well. There is an optional kit for the edge chassis to shield the oil lines.

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
It sounds like these are a headache. Dont worry i ride a 2005 700 and 2002 700, this is just a sled im wheeling and dealing on.

Im wondering if i should fix it or part it out.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
They are iron lined cylinders. Do you think the cylinder is bad? Maybe just bore it out to first oversize if it needs to be cleaned up.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Sorry, that's outside of my knowledge. I think your best bet is to PM Indydan on this forum and ask him. He is supposed to run a very good shop. It's probably cheaper to find a used cylinder though.

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I don't want to scare you but read this thread from another site. It sounds like these engines had a lot of problems especially when operated in the mid range throttle position for extended periods of time.

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58570&highlight=550+engine+kits

The majority of 550 engine troubles occurred in the Edge chassis with the Nicasil cylinders. The Gen2 550's were much more reliable.

On a side note, if your sled will not idle and backfires then odds are the pilot jets are or were plugged, and if this is the case, odds are the mains were at some time as well. This will cause a lean conditon and a lean condition will make your engine blow up. Replace the pilot jets. main jets and float nedle/seat assemblies when you rebuild the motor. Inspect the reeds and I uspect if you do this you will get another 3-5K miles of reliable service.

Premium Features