• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new to me 99 rmk 700!

R

rmk4ever

Sep 18, 2009
Sounds like good ideas! I rode this sled this weekend Fri. and Sunday! It rips!!! I noticed that at times the lights were on and bright but at times they were just not working at all. Still the voltage regulator?
You have to check your " low - high" dimmer switch, behind the blue button. At one time we had 3 of theese & they all had to be switched out! You can get away with opening that switch & cleaning the connections with an emery board or sandpaper, but usually this works 2 maybe 3 times, then it's time to replace.:beer;

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
where is the sway bar exactly??:face-icon-small-con

It goes through a hole in the bulkhead and attaches to each trailing arm. Just hack it off with a sawzall. I still rock a 99 700 as my primary sled too, it is solid all around. Enjoy!

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
You have to check your " low - high" dimmer switch, behind the blue button. At one time we had 3 of theese & they all had to be switched out! You can get away with opening that switch & cleaning the connections with an emery board or sandpaper, but usually this works 2 maybe 3 times, then it's time to replace.:beer;

3 different switches were out there is what your saying? I will open it up and take a look.

EDIT: I think I see what you are saying, you personally had 3 of these switches that needed to be changed out.

Last edited:
K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
It goes through a hole in the bulkhead and attaches to each trailing arm. Just hack it off with a sawzall. I still rock a 99 700 as my primary sled too, it is solid all around. Enjoy!

Ill check it out!

We are getting dumped on over here in Boise it nuts!! I dont want to be at work I wanna go sleddin!

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Also need some advice on some possible new skis. Ive heard of SLP's and what not. Im looking to hit alot of powder but will prob spend some time on the trail as well with the girlfriend.

R
Oct 18, 2010
hit the seafoam treatment, I did that to my new 99 rmk and it worked awesome. If its a plugged jet that would help clean it out. Also you can spray some brake clean around the intakes on the carbs to see if its a vacum leak causing the high idle

P
Dec 1, 2010
wow, am i sure glad i bought my 99 rmk 600 and stumbled across this site (and thread) with you guys on here! yup, same flickering light problem, only i think my issue is a little bit different, when my lights are bright(working normally) the VR also glows bright, kind of an amber glow from inside the case(thanks to my garage door opener light shutting off i saw it) but when the lights dim down, so does the glow from the VR... is it shot? or does this sound more like a grounding issue? i did the yellow wire pull test while they were dim and they instantly snapped to normal bright at idle. also is there a specific size or model of Cat reg. that i should go for if i need it? we dont have much snow here in SD yet, but i wanna be ready when it comes,,,

didnt mean to jack your thread Kygreen but i didnt wanna go spendin more money than i need if these guys know the prob i got....

-THANKS GUYS
ps.... you guys really know your stuff and i want to personally thank you for helping out new guys like me!

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
wow, am i sure glad i bought my 99 rmk 600 and stumbled across this site (and thread) with you guys on here! yup, same flickering light problem, only i think my issue is a little bit different, when my lights are bright(working normally) the VR also glows bright, kind of an amber glow from inside the case(thanks to my garage door opener light shutting off i saw it) but when the lights dim down, so does the glow from the VR... is it shot? or does this sound more like a grounding issue? i did the yellow wire pull test while they were dim and they instantly snapped to normal bright at idle. also is there a specific size or model of Cat reg. that i should go for if i need it? we dont have much snow here in SD yet, but i wanna be ready when it comes,,,

didnt mean to jack your thread Kygreen but i didnt wanna go spendin more money than i need if these guys know the prob i got....

-THANKS GUYS

ps.... you guys really know your stuff and i want to personally thank you for helping out new guys like me!

Seems to have all the symptoms of a bad reg... If you go to the link I listed in a previous post you should find the correct cat reg. Its just a simple 2 wire regulator (yellow and black wire). Word of advice, don't unplug the reg with the sled running or you're likely to blow lights n' stuff... You're probably safe assuming you didn't rev the engine (or did you?). Shoot, if you wanted to experiment and know anything about zener diodes you could build yourself your own regulator, but the cat reg does just fine.

P
Dec 1, 2010
no i didnt rev it, let it idle waaaay down before pulling it, i had been warned by my friends and about a million other posts ive read not to do it, and unfortunately i have no idea how to do diods and junk like that, i just know how to explain issues and turn wrenches haha, oh well, i may have to try the sandpaper thing first, do you have any idea what a cat dealership would get for one of those puppies, id like to keep my business local if at all possible....

Last edited:
K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
No problem you didnt jack the post the more info the better!

I ended up just finding another polaris VR for cheap so I just picked it up. Should be here any day.

another question....you guys keep saying unplug the yellow wire. on my yellow wire there is what looks to be like a plug but it is covered in like a rubber piece that looks factory not like someone just put it on there. Could this be where it disconnects? I honestly think Ill just have to cut it to put the new one in. If you guys dont know what Im talking about Ill try to snap a pic.

But ya the symptoms of mine are: the lights, including tail/head and the guages barely being on when you start it and its idling to them coming on when riding and then flickering in or out. Sometimes not on at all and then be on for a minute and then nothing at all. Ah mine could possibly be a short of some kind! Sucky

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
another question....you guys keep saying unplug the yellow wire. on my yellow wire there is what looks to be like a plug but it is covered in like a rubber piece that looks factory not like someone just put it on there. Could this be where it disconnects? I honestly think Ill just have to cut it to put the new one in.

Yes, it just pulls apart. Don't cut it as the new one will have the wire on it too.

But ya the symptoms of mine are: the lights, including tail/head and the guages barely being on when you start it and its idling to them coming on when riding and then flickering in or out. Sometimes not on at all and then be on for a minute and then nothing at all. Ah mine could possibly be a short of some kind! Sucky
It does sound like a short in the lighting circuit somewhere. I had a short on my electric visor cord once and the tach would quit and lights went dim at the same time.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Got to be honest I dont see how it can come apart right there. Its close to the VR but up the wire a little bit. Its like rubber melted around it but factory done. Does that make sense at all? I dont know ill look again but it looks to me that you would have to maybe cut this stuff away or something.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I just had a look and there is a yellow wire out of the voltage regulator that goes to that plug. It should just pull apart at the end of the yellow wire. Both of mine have a white plastic bullet type connector at the end of the yellow wire and that pushes into the mating plug that is covered with rubber. Maybe yours has been changed out previously.

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Got the new VR in. That was def the problem! It did pull apart at that spot but it was just really old and looked like it had never been changed. Lights are on like normal now! ha well excepts now i the speedo guage light is out but the tach light works. Its always somethin!

K
Jun 21, 2010
Boise, ID
Went out sleddin yesterday and the VR blew in like 10 minutes!!!! What the hell?? It was one from parts unlimited and I ordered it online.

Question is why would it blow? Still a short somewhere or is it just a P.O.S? I just need an arctic cat one I guess like you guys said.

S
Dec 13, 2010
I've had that same problem, I just replaced them with the new IQ lights, thanks to Eric Woog of VOHK. I've ran it for 3 years, and its wonderful. The new PRO-RMK is my baby, but this is my replacement sled. As for the rope pull, don't be a cheap off, just take it to a shop so you don't have a headache when something goes wrong!!

Premium Features