• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 800 blown motor take a look!

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Another project!!!:eek: 01 800 not good PTO side MELT DOWN, take a look tell me what you see besides a blown motor, this happened on the way out after riding all day. Lost the bearing in the connecting rod. Was running lean, or it appears that way to me. Good so hot that it melted the belly pan on the exaust side, all the oil lines to the oil pump.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=2071&pictureid=14515[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=2071&pictureid=14516

K
Dec 11, 2007
this is exatally what happend to my 2000 700! just got it all rebuilt with polaris parts, crankshaft, gasket kit,ring/pistons, one jug and labour droped and runnging in my chassis for $2600. well worth it cuzz man dose it ripp!!

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I give up to night, don't know if I want to look at the case and the crank!!! I'm hopen that they will be fine, but I'm not holding my breath!!! Only good thing is that it is not mine it is my dads. I'm just his personal wrench turner.

P
Nov 16, 2009
Nashwauk, MN
With the looks of that explosion, I'm betting there are as many pieces down in the cases as there are left on top. Really should split the cases, go down and yank the crank out, have "all" the bearings inspected on the crank. A machine shop will be able to give you the results. If the shop gives you the ok, have the bearings on the crank flushed out, and crank "trued", those 800 cranks are prone to snapping. Don't know about the cylinder, but a re-nick'd one will get the job done, have the head machined, new pistons/rings, crank seals, top end gasket kit, and re-assemble, and back in business. That's if the bottom passes inspection

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
With the looks of that explosion, I'm betting there are as many pieces down in the cases as there are left on top. Really should split the cases, go down and yank the crank out, have "all" the bearings inspected on the crank. A machine shop will be able to give you the results. If the shop gives you the ok, have the bearings on the crank flushed out, and crank "trued", those 800 cranks are prone to snapping. Don't know about the cylinder, but a re-nick'd one will get the job done, have the head machined, new pistons/rings, crank seals, top end gasket kit, and re-assemble, and back in business. That's if the bottom passes inspection

Considering it was a rod bearing that went, not splitting the case isn't an option.:rolleyes:

R

Rammit

Jan 28, 2009
Seattle, WA
Exact same thing happened to me last year.... snapped crank right in two, oil pump died and this happpened. my crank was welded, with a big boy and it still went. about 500 for the crank rebuilt, 100 for a cylinder and piston, 100 for a new milled head, so not terribly expensive......except that i hade to rebuild two of these this year.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Lots of great info thank you everyone, use all I can get!!!! This sled has cost my dad alot of cash, we had a new motor put in it about 3 yrs. ago now it had the big boy kit in it, not welded. He bought the sled for 3200, then found out the motor had been blown once before. A new crank was put in it but the case was no good!!! When he bought it the jugs and pistons looked like they had been put in a grinder, so he had a complete new motor from top to bottom case and top end, now he was in it another 2200, now this. If the crank is gone, IMO he should part what is left and cut and run. Or put another grand in it, he rides a 08 700 now. What do you guys think.

Last edited:
R

Rammit

Jan 28, 2009
Seattle, WA
Il take the seat:present:
but i redid my motor cheap enough, as long as the case is good your looking about 700 or so

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Il take the seat:present:
but i redid my motor cheap enough, as long as the case is good your looking about 700 or so

????????

Where are you getting a replacement crank for that kind of money?

If the crank is broken you have a couple of options... the cheapest I know of is $500 and that is to use the broken end and put a new rod and pin in it... I'm not sure I'd ride a sled that has had that done very far in to the back country without a few of my closest friends along to help me tow it out.

If the cylinder is damaged you'll have to have it re-nik'ed... which will be minimum $150.

You'll have to buy Weisco or stock pistons... looks like every aftermarket supplier is out of SPIs currently. So one piston kit will cost like $120 to $180 depending on if you buy Weisco or stock.

That head doesn't look to be useable... find one on ebay for pretty cheap.

Gaskets and crank seals will be $70 or so if you buy aftermarket.

And so yea, I guess under $1000 is possible, but not with a crank I would trust.

If crank is broken, cylinder is messed up, and cases are bad... then junk it and find something else to ride.

sled_guy

R

Rammit

Jan 28, 2009
Seattle, WA
????????

Where are you getting a replacement crank for that kind of money?

If the crank is broken you have a couple of options... the cheapest I know of is $500 and that is to use the broken end and put a new rod and pin in it... I'm not sure I'd ride a sled that has had that done very far in to the back country without a few of my closest friends along to help me tow it out.

If the cylinder is damaged you'll have to have it re-nik'ed... which will be minimum $150.

You'll have to buy Weisco or stock pistons... looks like every aftermarket supplier is out of SPIs currently. So one piston kit will cost like $120 to $180 depending on if you buy Weisco or stock.

That head doesn't look to be useable... find one on ebay for pretty cheap.

Gaskets and crank seals will be $70 or so if you buy aftermarket.

And so yea, I guess under $1000 is possible, but not with a crank I would trust.

If crank is broken, cylinder is messed up, and cases are bad... then junk it and find something else to ride.

sled_guy

I had a machine shop on denver take me snapped crank, press a new pto stub onto it, check the rod bearings, check the main bearings, and instal new wide pto side bearing for 510 out the door. The same guy has machined my heads, and I'm gona have him do my other crank the end of this season too.
As for the cylinder, You can find them for 100, I can get a re machined head for 100 if it needs it. I had a spare piston lying around, so i dropped that one in and got a new set of gaskets for like 40 bucks.

So you can have a complete rebuild for:
crank-510
cylinder-100
Head-100
Brand new top end kit- 200ish if you have stock bore, finding oversize it a PITA
total- under 1k

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Getin ifiy, How does the case look to you? I don't like the looks of it. It looks like the bearing on the mag end has spun. Can feel a flat spot at about 1 oclock
picture.php

The mag side.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pto side.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Yes for sure if you run your fingernail accros where the bearings sit you can feel the edges. It is the worst on the mag side, which puzzels me because that is not the side that blew.

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
parts

Get a hold of turbobusa on here...he repaired a crank for me and it was a great job...jj mach. is his company in Utah...see what he wants for the rebuild, he has all the parts you need..

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
The crank is what I need, the rest of the parts I have. If I can get a rebuild on the crank for a good price I will do it, otherwise this sled will be parted out. We will not put much more money in it. It has been a money pit from day one! And it is not worth enough to put much into it.

Premium Features