• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 SLP pipe question?

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
I just rebuilt my 06 900 engine and bought a new SLP pipe set and was wondering if I should break the motor in first with the stock pipe? Or will I be ok to install the SLP pipe set and do the reflash now and then break the engine in?

Also I premixed the tank and put in about 12 or 16oz's too much of oil. Will it be ok to run it out or what should I do? Were talking 48oz's in 10.8 gallons:eek:.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
You should be ok with the extra oil in there, it will just lean out your mixture a little bit ... but you should be ok.
If you're that worried about it, siphon 4-5 gallons out of your tank and put fresh gas in ..

You will be fine breaking in the motor on the SLP pipe, but let me see if I can find the thread where Indydan and MH were talking about proper engine break in and heat-soaking your motor. That was a good thread ...

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
You should be ok with the extra oil in there, it will just lean out your mixture a little bit ... but you should be ok.
If you're that worried about it, siphon 4-5 gallons out of your tank and put fresh gas in ..

You will be fine breaking in the motor on the SLP pipe, but let me see if I can find the thread where Indydan and MH were talking about proper engine break in and heat-soaking your motor. That was a good thread ...

This one?

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103341

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Any more comments? I am interested to hear other opinions also on breaking in a 900 as I am in the same boat. I put 1 quart VES gold in the tank and fresh premium gas.

Please keep the comments coming guys:beer;:beer;

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Glad to see you stuck it out with the 900.

I don't think it would really matter one way or another EXCEPT, that the SLP pipe REQUIRES the reflash and 1 900 that I've seen that went back to a stock pipe for a weekend after it flipped off the rocks and damaged the SLP pipe, it WOULD NOT run correct with a stock pipe. The reflash with a stock pipe is a NO-NO on my buds 05.

If it were me, I think I'd run the stocker for the first ride just to make sure you don't have any runnability problems at first. Then if all feels good, take it to Owens for the reflash and install the pipe. That way if anything goes wrong, (unlikely I know but still possible anytime parts get changed or reflashes are performed) you're not chasing a problem with a download or pipe problem and thinking it's tied to your rebuild or vice versa.

One step at a time??

Also, by doing it after the breakin, you'll get to really notice the difference with that pipe.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Seth..good find on that thread...really good info..

as far as breakining the 900 in with an SLP pipe...go for it Mark..will work fine..

VES GOLD??? boy oh boy..dump that trash and get some Castrol 2T, Injex, some type of pertroleum or mineral based oil...MUCH better..

read this thread for some GOOD/INTERESTING info on sythetics VS pertroleum oils...if INDYDAN says use the oil i said above..and he builds the BEST cranks around..you bet i will be doiung what he says...

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52811

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.

as far as breakining the 900 in with an SLP pipe...go for it Mark..will work fine..

VES GOLD??? boy oh boy..dump that trash and get some Castrol 2T, Injex, some type of pertroleum or mineral based oil...MUCH better..

read this thread for some GOOD/INTERESTING info on sythetics VS pertroleum oils...if INDYDAN says use the oil i said above..and he builds the BEST cranks around..you bet i will be doiung what he says...

I have run nothing but VES gold in my 02 and have never had a single problem, exhaust valves stay decently clean, and I can somewhat stand the smell, the cheap Walmart stuff literally makes me sick, ask Mark, haha:confused::eek::(:mad:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
HAHA...

i used to run AMSOIL until i talked to Indydan then read that thread..i have ran either CITCO sea&snow or the Castol 2T...alot cheaper..been no issues..and zero "gumminess" in the valve..maybe a little dirtier, but worth it..read that thread above..(will take a week) but afterwards youll be thinking...hmmmmmmmm....and no more VES..lol...

p.s. couldnt get the panel in the mail today...took dog to vet, but will be off first thing monday..promise ;)

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
HAHA...

i used to run AMSOIL until i talked to Indydan then read that thread..i have ran either CITCO sea&snow or the Castol 2T...alot cheaper..been no issues..and zero "gumminess" in the valve..maybe a little dirtier, but worth it..read that thread above..(will take a week) but afterwards youll be thinking...hmmmmmmmm....and no more VES..lol...

p.s. couldnt get the panel in the mail today...took dog to vet, but will be off first thing monday..promise ;)

That's cool, no big rush, snow won't be here for about 4 months anyway lol:(

I believe I have read the thread that you are referring to, about synthetics being more apt to attract moisture and cause problems in the long run... I'm still planning on running it, 3,000 miles on my 800 motor with VES run through it and no problems yet:D (previous owner said he preferred to run it and gave me the last bottle he had when I bought the sled at the time)

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Glad to see you stuck it out with the 900.

I don't think it would really matter one way or another EXCEPT, that the SLP pipe REQUIRES the reflash and 1 900 that I've seen that went back to a stock pipe for a weekend after it flipped off the rocks and damaged the SLP pipe, it WOULD NOT run correct with a stock pipe. The reflash with a stock pipe is a NO-NO on my buds 05.

If it were me, I think I'd run the stocker for the first ride just to make sure you don't have any runnability problems at first. Then if all feels good, take it to Owens for the reflash and install the pipe. That way if anything goes wrong, (unlikely I know but still possible anytime parts get changed or reflashes are performed) you're not chasing a problem with a download or pipe problem and thinking it's tied to your rebuild or vice versa.

One step at a time??

Also, by doing it after the breakin, you'll get to really notice the difference with that pipe.

That's good advice. I want to make sure it's running good first after the rebuild and then install the pipe. Thanks

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA

Hey Sean, Ya I don't think it would be a problem but think I'll wait and install it after my first ride to make sure it's running right (my first rebuild ). Like Dave said " one step at a time".

I can't wait to get that SLP pipe set installed.

Thanks

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
VES Gold isn't a bad oil, the regular cheap VES oil I'd stay away from. Indydan is correct with the mineral oil vs. synthetic oil IMO. But, I still run Amsoil in my sleds and have never had an issue that was caused by moisture.

To each his own.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
That's good advice. I want to make sure it's running good first after the rebuild and then install the pipe. Thanks

X2 its Kinda like all the question about v-force reeds and the improvements in performance . Did anyone just do the reeds to see if there was a difference? Most of us do to many things at once to tell what helped and what was a waste of $$$

Premium Features