• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 800 rmk going out west..

K
Feb 19, 2008
ESko, mn
I just picked up an 02 rmk 800 with a fabcraft tunnel, it's got a D&R, running a 151"x2.25"x16" track, 19-43 gearing. Otherwise engine had a complete rebuilt including crank, jugs, rods, pistons, etc.
My question is will I be able to hang with new sleds when I go out west with it?

I
How far out west are you talking? I have the same sled completely stock and went out to Spearfish Canyon South Dakota with about 1.5 to 2.5 feet of powder and performed pretty well. I think you will be okay but it depends on the rider.

K
Feb 19, 2008
ESko, mn
I am thinking like west Yellowstone. I've been riding sleds basically my whole life. A lot of the time I'm riding in upper Michigan. The sleds seems to do whatever I throw at it I just don't wanna be the one holding the group up out there!

Kd2006

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2013
North Central Montana
I run a 2003 RMK 800 with a 151"x15" finger track and I can get around fine in powder.. Of course I had to ruin crank bearings last February and never got around to fixing it until December so I don't know how long till its ready.

I don't know my gearing, but I can go where most the people in my group go.

I have found out having that finger track makes me dig a little more, so I have had some very stupid stucks. You should be fine. You won't have the fastest sled, but you'll keep up otherwise.

The only engine modifications I have until my sled gets fixed and winds up with ported and polished jugs is an SLP single pipe and can, and SLP's air box gutting.

Ive seen people running older stock sleds out here with no problems.

You should be fine if you know what you're doing.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, I'm not the most experienced rider around. I only got into sledding about 2 years ago

Last edited:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
At 7000 to 10,000 feet, you are probably going to be running 370 to 390 mains. With a stock pipe, you don't need to be dead nuts on.

K
Feb 19, 2008
ESko, mn
Ok great Ya I don't have plans to run anything different as far as exhaust goes unless I come across a good deal on a SLP single. Any suggestions as far as clutching goes?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Clutching? Let it out slowly. ;)

If you can't achieve maximum rpm while climbing, you can change out your lower sprocket in the gear box, to add one tooth. From the factory, the RMK's used to be geared for flatland sledding and North East hills. Not for climbing up a 45 degree precipice.

K
Feb 19, 2008
ESko, mn
Ya I'm already running a way more drastic gear ratio. Went from 21 top and 41 bottom to a 19 top and 43 bottom. What I mean by clutching is the weights in my primary? And possibly different clutch springs in both clutches, I'm unsure how my clutches are currently setup but they work well in Minnesota around 1100 ft.

Kd2006

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2013
North Central Montana
I don't know what I am running for weights unfortunately. I just rode it the way I bought it and never had a problem. I was set up for 6-8k feet.

My main jets for that elevation were 360's with that SLP airbox gutting and SLP single pipe.

But go with the advice whoisthatguy gave you. He's helped me out before.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I'm gonna be honest here. I ride a 2004 700 RMK 151 and wouldn't hesitate to go riding anywhere with anyone. I may not be the high mark on the hill, but I wouldn't be holding up the group either. It's not about the sled you ride, it's how you ride it. You can throw around an edge just fine, just takes more effort and body english to do so.

Don't over think it. Just ride

K
Feb 19, 2008
ESko, mn
Ya I guess I was just nervous bcuz of couple of guys I ride with have brand new freerides but they haven't been riding Sleds as long as I have so I think I'll be fine I just wanna have my sled setup best I can before I head that way so I don't spend an entire day of ride time changing weights and jets. I feel comfortable with the jetting I've chose just unsure still on how I should set up my clutches.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
its not going to mark hills like the newer sleds you may run into but if your friends are newbies youll do fine. west yellowstone has a lot of nice groomed trails to cover before you hit the play areas. there is a lot of back country stuff too but you should be able to find a way around if you cant go straight up. youre geared plenty low you may not even need to worry about clutching. but if you are clutched correctly for 1100 ft. and 19/43 gears you probably have heavier weights than stock, so i would seek out stock weights for 6000+'. you can also wind your sec. spring a notch or two tighter if it feels boggy in the deep. main jets should be changed, possibly even e-clip setting on your needles but 02s ran really lean in mid range which was compensated by fat main jets, so maybe just a main jet swap. but if you just picked up the sled you prob dont know if the jets were played with, like '03+ needles? have fun!

Last edited:
K
Feb 19, 2008
ESko, mn
Ya I don't think we will be doing any major hill climbs just wanna play in the powder. I'm gonna dig into my clutches soon and check out what's in there for weights.

Premium Features