• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond S subframe fix or buy a replacement?

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I have a diamond S chrome moly sub frame and the lower a arm mount got bent on a awkward landing from a jump.
The mount is pushed back about half an inch or so enough that the spindle sits almost vertical and the ski tip is about 1"1/2 further back then the other ski.
I'm looking for advice from people with experience with chrome moly.
Can I just bend it back and gusset it somehow or cut it out and weld a new mount in it's place. I'm assuming it has to be tig welded ?
I'd hate to have to fork out the $$$ for another sub frame.

I will be contacting Scott at Diamond S after the weekend to see what he thinks.

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Bend it back and then gusset it, no need to buy a new one. TIG is preferred but MIG will work fine for what you're wanting to do.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
IMO I disagree. Ive had Moly race car chassis before and once stuff bends on them they often will not bend back. It liked to snap off or rip open the tubing. If it were me I would cut it out and replace it. Mig welding will be fine, just don't get it too hot. Do short welds and move around. Eric

M
Jan 14, 2004
Post a pic of the damage so we can see whats up, then we can tell you for sure how best to fix it.

M5

Premium Features