• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 RMK 700 DEEP SNOW BOG

Y
Mar 26, 2010
So with all this fresh pow we got i was out riding in like 3 feet of powder and my sled starts to run like chit a soon as i hit the snow and start to work it a little. Wont pull any rpms and boggs out down to the point its like its running on one hole. i taped off all my vents and even if i keep my intake clean no diff. I can take it out on the road clear it out and it runs like a top till i hit the pow and work the sled. I cleaned the clutches changed my weights and it still runs like chit. It seems to load up really bad, worse under load. Even if i stop in the snow and try to go a gain it just bogs out. I took it out for a good run down the road a opened it up, pulls good once you get it cleared out. pulled plugs they a black and crusty with would point me to think its really rich, but i jetted it for like 0 to -15 C and it was like 30 below last night i find it hard to belive its really running that rich. Now i have been reading that when these oil pump start to go they start dumping the oil in which is what i think is wrong cause it smokes 10 times worse that my 600 like to the point you cant stand by the sled unless you moving. has any one seen this before. I am at wits end with dam thing an need i running top notch by the 30th.

R
Oct 18, 2010
Have you started with the basics like a tune up yet? One thing that I have read can happen is if your exhaust isn't sealed in deep POW the intake can suck in exhaust an cause it to bog down. Have you checked that out? There should be a rubber gasket where the pipe exits the body. The exhaust joints should also be sealed with black silicone.

I'd start with a tune up though an troubleshoot from there

X
Dec 10, 2009
That was my original thought i made a exhaust deflector under the sled so that the exhaust could exit freely when in snow.

I am having the same problem with my Gen II XC700. It acts like it is running super rich and idles real low. I actually think I lost my rubber exhaust to belly pan seal. I'm going to try to pick one up..

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Check the oil pump cam arm is adjusted to the right position in relation to the pump,little lines lined up. What you may want to replace is the primary and secondary clutch springs of course they control shifting,engagement rpm,top end rpm. If those get saggy the clutches pull the belt when you're not in power rpm,typical deep pow symptom. Open and clean/inspect secondary

Y
Mar 26, 2010
adjusted oil pump had lines lined up but then backed off just a bit. and jusst had my secondary apart again to night and tried putting spring in #4 no change. oh and the tabs on the spring are still lined up. also i put in new plugs in tonight and went for a ride, still ran bad pulled plugs when i got home and they were soaked with fuel and still as clean as when i put them in. I have jetted up and down from there and it runs good jetted leaner on the pack snow but i dont like the looks of the plugs seems like this thing is getting to much fuel or somthing i just cant seem the figure it out.

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Does it appear that way to much fuel falls on to the snow at exhaust outlet when running? Try adjusting needle clip position in each carb and adjusting choke.
Take logical small steps, prob. not to far from oem settings.. just tuned to temp,elevation, and mods

Y
Mar 26, 2010
Ya none of that helped. i do belive now that it is a problem with the reeds. about half of the 16 peddles have a small air gap and some have like a ten thou gap. i ordered some v force reeds will try it out tonight. hope this helps cause i am at wits end with this thing and running out of cash to.

R
Jan 2, 2011
YAKIMA, WA
I HAD THIS SAME SLED FOR 8 YEARS AND DEVELOPED THE SAME PROBLEM.I CHANGED THE SPARK PLUG BOOST AND PUT ELECTRICAL GREASE ON THE PLUGS. SNOW MELTING ON THE ENGINE WAS GROUNDING OUT THE PLUGS. MIGHT GIVE IT A TRY

Y
Mar 26, 2010
sled starts good with the choke. i have visual and air pressure checked the chokes both seal good. same with the floats and needles. i will dieletrice the spark plugs that might help

Y
Mar 26, 2010
yep i hate them to never had to work on them till now. every other machine i have ever owned had mikuni carbs. i probally will switch them out to flatslides in the summer. but i think i got it replaced the reeds with some v force reeds and she seems to run pretty good much better any way. i just have some final tuning cause i changed everthing to try and get it running right. thanks for every ones help.

L
Dec 2, 2007
Elizabeth, CO
Does the 2000 have ACCS? When it fails, it fails rich.

Have you measured oil consumption? Fill the oil and gas to the rim, go ride it, and refill both to the rim noting how much oil you pour in. I fill a ratio-rite cup with 16 ounces of oil and see how much of it goes in. Then convert gallons of gas added to ounces, like 5.5 gallons X 128 ounces in a gallon and divide by the number of oil ounces it took to fill it back up. You want to be around 50 or 55 to 1.

X
Dec 10, 2009
Have you figured out the problem yet? I replaced the spark plug caps because they were so loose one poped off on me. I haven't had it in any deep snow yet...

F
Feb 8, 2011
Bottom End Bog

I've got a 99 RMK 700 with slp pipes, variflow and i've got a bog when i let go of the throttle after high speed then try to give it throttle again then there is the bog until it hits high rpm again, it runs awsome for the first 10 miles then starts acting up. Whether i am in deep snow or on the flat it'll give me grief.:face-icon-small-dis

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
Had the same problem on a buddies sled two weeks ago! Rebuilt the clutchs and waalahh the thing ran like a dream in 2 foot of Pow! Didn't skip a beat! The week before we couldn't even look at powder with it or it would bog down and almost die!:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features