• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I don't know if I can do this sled thing anymore...

R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
I've just about had it with my luck so far this season...

Christmas day ride - Ruin left Holz trailing arm. Get lucky on here and find one for a good price.

Today - Get it put on and everything is perfect. Go riding with some pals, riding is perfect, having a blast... launch up a good size hill, got the adrenaline flowing, feeling great... doing some boondocking on the bottom of the hill.... then hit a boulder (Ok not a boulder but it sure felt like one) under the snow, launch myself over the bars and tear up my shoulder... take out the new left Holz trailing arm that I had just put on 4 hours ago, and steering rod... 10 miles back in, it's dark, forgot a tow strap, have a buddy ride out, get one, come back, and hook the tow strap up to my ski loop and to the bumper of the buddies sled. 3 hours later, get it loaded, and then get my truck stuck...

I think the sledding god's are trying to say something...

Would like to say thanks to a couple of guys that stopped stayed and shot the bull with me and bummed me some cigarettes.

PS. Anyone got some stock trailing arms they want to sale? I can't afford to keep going through this lightweight stuff anymore, it's just to expensive.

PSS. I've got a right Holz trailing arm for sale ;)

Feels good to vent... and people wonder why I smoke... stress is hard.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
yeah feeling the same man. spend so much time fixing and not enough actually having fun. its a buzz kill

R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Total buzz kill.... don't get me wrong, there is no better feeling in the world then that of carving through fresh pow, it's better than sex bar none... But hell... I'm not rich lol... and now I'm looking at a ruined fox shock, not cheap to replace, radius rods and steering rod, trailing arm, possibly a toasted bulk head, and a step bolt (6 hours alone to fix)...

Might end my season 2 rides in it... that's worst case though, lets hope I get away with trailing arm and steering rod :rolleyes:

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Hate to see this happen fellas.. However its the nature of the beast in our sport.. We wait and wait and wait for it to snow. Then we get a dusting and we cant control ourselves. We head out into the wilds and bang break something.. It has happened to me more years than I hate to admit to.. The spring is just as bad.. We hope for one more ride and smash...
Thats why for the last 2 years I have made it a point to hold back the need to ride and waited for enough snow to ride safely on..
Now dont take this the wrong way I am not trying to say this is what happened in your case.. Just doing as you did and venting a little.....

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
Stick with it, it'll get better. I spent a good portion of the last few days wrenchin' mine so I could get 4(mediocre) hours of riding in.

Last edited:
R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Hate to see this happen fellas.. However its the nature of the beast in our sport.. We wait and wait and wait for it to snow. Then we get a dusting and we cant control ourselves. We head out into the wilds and bang break something.. It has happened to me more years than I hate to admit to.. The spring is just as bad.. We hope for one more ride and smash...
Thats why for the last 2 years I have made it a point to hold back the need to ride and waited for enough snow to ride safely on..
Now dont take this the wrong way I am not trying to say this is what happened in your case.. Just doing as you did and venting a little.....

This is exactly what happened unfortunately. It's so hard to fight that urge, especially when your seeing trailer after trailer going up... so you tell yourself "Oh I'll just do a trail ride to see how the pigs running" and then it gets even harder to stop the temptation of diving off the trail... and even harder after you get a taste of good fresh pow.

Kind of why I'm not in a huge hurry to get the sled rolling again, trying to teach my arse a lesson in patience.. and what better way to stop temptation then to not have a working sled right?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Talked to my mechanic today, he's going to be able to save the trailing arm, by taking the two toasted ones (The one that I ruined last week and the one from yesterday) and running some tube inside of them and welding it up.... weigh a bit more, but that's not big deal to me...

Shock is toasted, rideable, but bent, so it's either foot out the cash for another Fox or buy some stockers (What years could I use?)

Step bolt is narred up, gotta pull about a dozen rivets to pull that and try and weld it up, or replace it.

Leaking anti-freeze from somewhere due to the step bolt, ripped line, or something, won't be able to tell until he rips into it.

Pretty excited about the news, nothing to huge, from how hard I hit I was expecting a toasted bulkhead and the works...

Fortunately my "mechanics" are family and friends, pretty thankful for that... labor is normally what hurts the most...

See if I can't salvage this season for as cheap as possible and replace the stuff over the off-season... I'm working with a recently laid off budget which is very hard...

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
This is exactly what happened unfortunately. It's so hard to fight that urge, especially when your seeing trailer after trailer going up... so you tell yourself "Oh I'll just do a trail ride to see how the pigs running" and then it gets even harder to stop the temptation of diving off the trail... and even harder after you get a taste of good fresh pow.

Kind of why I'm not in a huge hurry to get the sled rolling again, trying to teach my arse a lesson in patience.. and what better way to stop temptation then to not have a working sled right?

This is the reason I have really drug my feet this year. Money is tight and I only have money to buy gas. I might wait a couple more weeks and storms to be safe.

Good luck and here's hoping for some cheap repairs.

R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Some eye candy for you;

317a97e3430e__1262694765000.jpeg

1dbdfdf7c019__1262694266000.jpeg

2 inches to the right and I would have been safe... dang :p:beer;

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I feel your pain rowboat, this year hasn't been kind to me either.
Wife's sled is building too much pipe heat and melting the hood
Wife's sled has no headlight or gauge lights
My clutch was pooched, had to buy a new one
Boogered up my left ski on a hidden log
Ripped 1/2 a paddle off my track on a stump
Lost another tire on the trailer
Wife's sled is leaking coolant (me thinks O-ring in the head)
My left grip won't stay stuck (not a big deal, until you need to sidehill and the grip accordions up and throws your balance off)

Stumps and down logs were rampant this year... I hit more in 2 weeks this year than I have hit combined in all the other 6-7 years I have been riding. I'm sure the underside of my skis are banged up all to crap. Luckily no major damage... at least not that I've seen. I had a lot of close calls too- hit a tree and thought I busted a ski, rolled my sled for the first time ever, broke the snap ring that hold the tongue jack on the trailer and almost lost the jack...

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
Thanks for all the stories guys, makes me feel better about caving in the nose pan on my wife's iq trying to show her what she can do on her sled.:eek: It doesn't make my wallet feel much better though.

R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Sounds like you guys have had it a lot rougher than me, I feel a bit fortunate lol...

One thing I always tell myself when stuff goes south "It could always be worse.", and it's the truth..

Fortunately I'm only out like $50, A LOT less than I had been anticipating. Rebuilt the trailing arm, bent the rods back with a press and heat, bent the step back with a bfh.

I will have to buy another shock, shaft has a slight bend in it, but I'll ride it through the season or until I come across one for a good deal.

Should be riding this weekend, def see if all the bending, rebuilding paid off. One positive thing about this ordeal is I ended up finding a name for my sled... the "Red Devil" ;)

BTW, thanks to those that looked for parts for me, it's much appreciated!

Premium Features