• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Oil problem

Y
Feb 22, 2009
Hey guys, First time out with my new sled. It ran great and everything seemed ok.

I got home and was looking the sled over and noticed that I had oil blown all over the inside. It is small spots and after looking it seems to be coming out of the header on the bottom side. I took the pipe off and have some pretty wet oil residue. The sled didnt smoke too much or seem to use too much oil. I will try and tighten up the header bolts but I guess I would like to know how much oil reside is too much and how wet should it be?

Thanks guys

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
While you have manifold off clean everything up good and put a bead of high temp silicone around all gaskets and donut should take care if your problem. Gas and oil sit in y pipe and disingrate seals. Let silcone cure good before running.

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
Very common. Probably not the y pipe, but could be. More than likely it is
the doughnut gasket in the y pipe to exhaust pipe. The fix is to take High
heat gasket maker (silicone), and put a small bead around doughnut where it
meets y pipe and exhaust pipe. Should fix ya right up. make sure to get the oil
off of everything before you bake it on. Check spring tension.

J

Y
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks for the tip. can certainly do that. How much residue indicates that I need to adjust oil pump. I know its difficult to explain but the inside on the y pipe it is lightly covered. Just enough to be a continuos thin film with a bit that has collected at the bottom.

Thanks again

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
You are probably good on ratio. The only way to check oil ratio is
fill the oil tank to a certain level and mark with a sharpie. Fill sled with fuel
to the bottom of fill ring. Run the sled for a day, and fill oil tank to your line
making sure to keep track of the exact ounces used to fill to line. top off gas tank to ring. X ounces of oil used to x gallons of gas used you can figure out the ratio your pump is set at. Many opinions on the best setting for the cat.
28 to 1 all the way to 40 to 1.

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
Go ride your sled, everything is normal. All pipes spatter oil from the donut where the Y pipe meets the expansion pipe till seated. The tip above is a way to cure it with some silicone, but after a good ride it probably seated itself and is no longer spitting oil. Two strokes are oily. Don't mess with the pump ratio unless you really check it a handful of times and average. Everyone has some unburnt oil in the Y pipe. Your sled is normal.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Every m sled i have owned has done this,even my brand new p climb. Like everbody says silicone it and ride it. Also a little wd-40 sprayed on a rag is the best thing i have used to clean up the oil spatter

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
I would bet a large lump sum that your oil pump is also sticking. Like every person i know(including myself) that have a cat, they all stick. This may not have anything to do with oily mess everywhere, but its probebly sticking. My buddy refused to believe me that his brand new 2011 holdover HCR had a oil pump sticking but I proved him wrong, they all do

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I would highly disagree with the term "all" we figure ratios on lots of sleds before we delete them, and most run right around what they should, 26-33:1 nearly all of them are in that range, sometimes we run across ones that hit 20-22... not sure if they're sticking or just adjusted high... but once we get rid of the oil injection, we just don't care anymore!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I would highly disagree with the term "all" we figure ratios on lots of sleds before we delete them, and most run right around what they should, 26-33:1 nearly all of them are in that range, sometimes we run across ones that hit 20-22... not sure if they're sticking or just adjusted high... but once we get rid of the oil injection, we just don't care anymore!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Curious - why figure ratios on sleds if you're doing the oil injection delete?

Premium Features