• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 M7 Question

J
Dec 5, 2007
I have been looking at a 2006 M7 153 for a fairly good deal and am thinking about picking it up as a back up sled.

The only problem is I have never owned an arctic cat around this model year and am curios if they have had any notable problems etc.

The engine has 3500 miles, but I know a lot of these engines run problem free long past the 5K mark but was just curios if anyone had an opinion on this model year sled.

Thanks, Any help is appreciated!

B
Oct 4, 2008
Stanwood,WA
The 06' M7 is one of the best models Arctic Cat has built. I own one myself with some mods and it has been an excellent sled. My mom also rides a stock m7 and the thing is smooth and runs like a clock. The only problem I have had to fix was replacing the coil on my sled. The power of a stock 06' M7 is very close to the feel of the new Polaris sleds in that they don't feel like you are ripping up the hill necessarily, but they just keep going. Especially if you have the clutching dialed in right. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that sled at all...3500 miles isn't bad, as long as it was maintained properly they will go for a loooooong time. Good Luck!

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
My '06 M7 153 has 5,500 on the clock and still runs with my buddies 800 dragons, M's, XP's, and Nytro 4-strokes.

It's an amazing sled. I'll get rid of many other toys before this sled ever leaves my stables...

As stated, if she was taken care of, mileage really isn't an issue. Ask about the Diamond Drive and how often the owner serviced it. Other then that, enjoy a very reliable and timeless chassis!:face-icon-small-coo

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
The sled goes pretty good once you get it dialed in properly. I have many friends with this sled or a similar one to it and what they think of it:

Friend with 05 M7: The sled runs amazing except for a midrange bog. He claimed to fix it by buying a BMP pipe and can. Also, he did some clutch work and now even though it cant keep up with my dragon, its not too far behind. This was a 141" that we extended to a 153". He still owns it and loves it!

Friend with 06 M7 141": The worst gas mileage I’ve seen out of any sled. I thought the sled was a blast to ride but we did the math and riding flatland across lake it was getting about 5-6 MPG. He bought a fuel controller but that didn’t help that much (6-7 MPG). I'm not saying it’s a bad sled, but it obviously needed to be dialed in properly which his wasn’t. This one did not have a bog issue but he sold it after a year for an IED (Improvised explosive device) 2009 Assault

Friend with 06 Crossfire 700 extended to a 141" and 153": This guy works with my dad at the local Air National Guard base. He is a major tuner and spent years trying to get this sled to his liking. Aftermarket clutch, fuel controller, i believe he also had a PC5. He also had a set of 141" extensions and 153" extensions along with the stock 136" extensions. Every time i road with him, he would have something different on it, trying to make it the perfect sled. It had a speedwerx pipe and can but put the stock can on as it dynoed with more HP that way. I don’t remember what else he did to it but there was a lot more. I rode this sled and it was amazing! Must have been putting out 145+ HP! He never had any bog issues and once he got it dialed in, was getting about 10-13 MPG which is acceptable. Even though he was please with it, he sold it this year and bought a '09 M1000 w/ PC5, auto tune, Pipe and clutch kit. BTW he used to have a 06 M7 tell he hit some ice on a hill climb and it spun out and rolled down the hill, totaling it. He loved that sled...:brokenheart:

IMO if you get a good deal, go for it! There are a lot of happy people riding M7s and the motor seems to put out decent power and is very reliable. I think the 5-7 MPG is a freak thing specific to my buddy's sled and is something you should not worry about. However, like any sled, some work will need to be put into it to get it to run perfect. Specifically some Primary clutch work seems to make a big impact on power and gas mileage.

Hope this helps! :tea:

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Best 700 buit, ever! But like all sleds needs a few lil things done to it. I had an 06 m7 limited. I decked it right out in everything u can imagine, even big bore in the end. If u want basic put a stiffer primary spring, a can and a lil bit heavier weights in it. The m7 came fueled with 42lbs fuel pressure from the factory so it likes to bog on the bottom end. An MBRP can makes it rip! Extra venting so u don't burn up belts. And dot forget a 2 inch riser. Cheers and good luck. U wont be dissapointed with this sled. :)

Premium Features