• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with seized piston on BD M1000 RG

10000ft

Dec 27, 2007
I had a piston seize today in a m1000 BD RG 10.5lbs . The sled had run on two other trips with no issues, coolant temperature was good and EGT temperature looked good. The sled was warmed up properly and we had ridden 4-5 miles.

The piston was not melted or lean just seized mostly below the exhaust port and slightly on intake side. We checked oil system and it is pumping oil.

Has anyone else had this problem and what would be the cause?

Thanks

M

M9onNOS

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2007
Sounds like an oiling issue to me. I know you said that the system seems to be working but it is possible that There is somthing in that line feeding that side. That is where I would be looking really close.

J

Jammmin

Dec 3, 2007
Puyallup
Similiar deal with my m8.
I use the stock oil injectors and also premix every tank. Yeah its costs a little more but would rather be safe and have fun.

10000ft

Dec 27, 2007
Thanks for the comments.

Here is a picture of the piston, still looking for a reason why this piston would have seized. It is hard to believe it could be a break in issues if the sled had been warmed then cooled several times in the garage. Then the sled was ridden on two separate occasions (50-60 miles) before it seized.

Thanks

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
I bought my 07 m1000 and it was burnt down the same way as yours, I rebuilt it and ran pre mix for 3 tanks of fuel (100 to 1) and the last time I took it up I didnt add any oil with the gas and it burt down 10 miles into the ride. I checked the oil line from the oil tank and it seemed to flow slow to the pump and along with cheaper oil, witch doesnt not flow as well as cat oil Im hoping I had a lack of oil to my sled. so im flushing out all the oil from the tank and oil line. im going to run good oil for oil injetion and cheap oil for pre mix and keep running 100 to 1 pre mix.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
Here's a thought. You add a turbo, now instead of driving around at full throttle you drive around at half throttle. You oil pump is not putting out enough oil at half throttle. You have to crank up the oil pump or keep it pinned.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Here's a thought. You add a turbo, now instead of driving around at full throttle you drive around at half throttle. You oil pump is not putting out enough oil at half throttle. You have to crank up the oil pump or keep it pinned.

Well said Markoo,

It is more like 1/8 throttle is 1/2

If I leave the oil injection on with a turbo I crank up the oil pump, Running high boost I will mix fuel at 100\1 as well

No problems

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
Testing an XP turbo pump gas kit last week, ran it as Boyko said, with 100/1 premix for day one, tank one on a sled with 3545 miles on it. before turbo install.

tank 2 no oil added, PUMP TURNED UP TO half open at idle.. pistons look just like yours,,10 miles into the no oil added tank of fuel..

ALWAYS ran premix only !!!, was it worth the try ????
Not to me. wasted 800$.. cylinder, pistons and gaskets..

Gus

I hate coming in on the rope,, makes you look like an arse !

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana

I premix my TM-1000 38 to 1. The oil pump feeds the Garrett turbo, approximately 450 miles and no issues. And pinned for any length of time under very much boost, 8+ pounds or so, would really make it run lean on oil. These big dogs really like the fuel under boost.:face-icon-small-hap I know pre-mixing can be a hassle, but then again, so is rebuilding the top end all the time, to say nothing of the cost. Seems like these big bores are just looking for an excuse to seize.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Testing an XP turbo pump gas kit last week, ran it as Boyko said, with 100/1 premix for day one, tank one on a sled with 3545 miles on it. before turbo install.

tank 2 no oil added, PUMP TURNED UP TO half open at idle.. pistons look just like yours,,10 miles into the no oil added tank of fuel..

ALWAYS ran premix only !!!, was it worth the try ????
Not to me. wasted 800$.. cylinder, pistons and gaskets..

Gus

I hate coming in on the rope,, makes you look like an arse !

How much boost Gus?

G
Apr 23, 2008
How much boost Gus?

10,0000feet.
You have 2 different pistons, in the pics. one is cast oem the other is a wiseco. the forging needs much more warm up time before even 4 seconds of boost and load,
it also likes an extra .002 clearance and recessed subport bridges for piece of mind///.

bog bore forgings are exposed to a larger diameter flame, they expand slightly faster and slightly more than a lets say 82 mm piston. the wider exhaust port heats a larger percetnage of skirt and ring land too.

Kevin. 6 psi. 11/1 comp, .080 squish , -2 degrees timing.
altitude is sea level to 400 feet above..lol

pullls like all hell ,,devours the 860's like they are 600's at 10 psi. 91 octane
Gus

Last edited:
Premium Features