• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen4 850 Realistic Break In Time

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well I have an 850 sitting in the garage with 0 miles on it. I have a sledding bachelor party on the 9th of December.

Does anyone know the actual break in mileage on the new sleds? I am trying to figure out if I can get it broken in correctly before the party at Togwotee.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Depends how much WOT you're doing. It's not how many miles, but the fuel consumed....

You're realistically looking at 200-350 miles depending on your riding habits, IMHO.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Warm it up fully, then rail that thing. Cylinder pressure from engine load seats rings. Vary the throttle but ride hard. If it's like the etec 800, I think it's around 20 gallons of fuel for break in. I would not be concerned about getting through break in before the party.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Warm it up fully, then rail that thing. Cylinder pressure from engine load seats rings. Vary the throttle but ride hard. If it's like the etec 800, I think it's around 20 gallons of fuel for break in. I would not be concerned about getting through break in before the party.

Yeah, that!!! Warm it up and then ride it like you stole it. I've done that with the last 10 new sleds I've owned and they've all run like raped apes the whole time I've owned them.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID

Ride like you stole it, the computer will take care of the rest. The worst thing you could do is baby it.:face-icon-small-coo

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
We drove 8 hours, stayed overnight to ride 70 road miles in 5 to 12" of snow yesterday, got her down to 74% breakin.

Was surprised it did not act like the 4 previous e-tec's. Only had a couple blubbers and did not really feel like it was in breakin.

Had I known it would run this good out of the box I would not have wasted 8 hours in the truck, just goes to show how dumb I can be.

Well I have an 850 sitting in the garage with 0 miles on it. I have a sledding bachelor party on the 9th of December.

Does anyone know the actual break in mileage on the new sleds? I am trying to figure out if I can get it broken in correctly before the party at Togwotee.

N
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Lake
I was going to put mine on a treadmill to get a few miles. Works with dogs and people, should work with mistresses as well.

I'm all seriousness, when I am spending $13,000 on a brand new sled I can have a little self control for two tanks of gas. I guess we may know who not to buy used 850's from.

Last edited:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I was going to put mine on a treadmill to get a few miles. Works with dogs and people, should work with mistresses as well.

I'm all seriousness, when I am spending $13,000 on a brand new sled I can have a little self control for two tanks of gas. I guess we may know who not to buy used 850's from.

You? I mean you no offense, but only seek to educate some. You should exercise control in not holding steady throttle, but that's about the only rule. You want to load the engine; both acceleration & deceleration (down shift a car, let off throttle on a sled)

Many may not understand what happens if the rings don't seat properly. There will be more combustion gases leaking past the rings. For one that's less force going into turning the crank, but also proper heat transfer from the piston through the rings to the water cooled cylinder wall doesn't occur as efficiently. You do an engine no favors by babying it during the short time that the ridges of the freshly honed cylinder wall are present to wear the ring down to "fit" and seal to the cylinder. Once they're gone, the engine won't break in any further whether things are seated or not. It's even more of an issue in a 4 stroke with lubrication oil being contaminated with the blow by.

Machining is quite good these days. You're not "wearing in" the bearings or anything like that. If the bearings lock up during break in, they were defective or there was a serious oil issue. If the engine is warmed up and assembled properly, there's nothing to worry about.

I know it feels weird to ride something so new hard. My 800 was treated that way the day after I picked it up. I pulled the head a few weeks ago and things look good internally. 3400 miles and compression is dead even. I just went through this with my pickup too. Built the V8 & installed it, warmed it up & set timing, quick check for leaks, then take off and step into it. I sent in a used oil sample for analysis after a few hundred miles and the text in the report said "good job on your first V8 build, your engine is off to a healthy start". I mention this because the truck was driven hard initially, but there is nothing indicating excessive bearing wear or other damage. A while back, I built a Polaris 800 a few different times. Once was gentle break in and another was hard break in. Gentle break in left black deposits below the rings from excessive blow by. Hard break in and the pistons were clean below the rings.

I didn't come up with this stuff, this guy did: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm not implying you'll have any real issues if you baby your sled out of the box but it won't help you in any way.

Last edited:
N
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Lake
I'm not talking about babying it, but I also don't think running WOT is the best for a brand new engine on a constant basis. And giving me a link off the rusty (I mean trusty) old internet which even states it being a "controversial topic" doesn't make a difference to me. I was replying to those who suggesting "ride it like you stole it" whether they were being serious or not. It's your sled and I guess you can treat it like you stole in. I will be running like the manual suggests. The guys at any factory are at a higher pay grade than me. And I'll follow what they recommend.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Nothing wrong with that. BRP certainly doesn't want you to have a dog of a sled.

I do think that website "feels" more controversial than it is. Maybe its the weird black background. And saying "ride it like you stole it" probably isn't the best thing to say either. Methodical engine loading based on logic and data, is probably a better slogan.

I wish I were on an 850 this season. You're all going to have a blast, those things are saweeet. Maybe next year for me.

rebel

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Northern MN
I put 80 miles on this past weekend! That got my break in to 64%.
All riding was ditch pounding in 20" of snow. Very little long wide open bursts.... This sled is a world of difference from my 14 summit! Very happy so far!! A new set of Raptors and Ace are sitting in the garage waiting to be installed this weekend!! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I put 80 miles on this past weekend! That got my break in to 64%.
All riding was ditch pounding in 20" of snow. Very little long wide open bursts.... This sled is a world of difference from my 14 summit! Very happy so far!! A new set of Raptors and Ace are sitting in the garage waiting to be installed this weekend!! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap
We are going to try and get them out a couple times this week!

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
It's just like any time you hook up with some new smokin hot lady for the first time.Some brief fore play and then just give it to her as hard and long as you can making sure to vary (throttle) positions. If you do this she will love you forever and treat you like a god. Truth is they like it this way. Seat those rings stat! My best running etec got broken in with back to back over the hood pow days just pinned. If you half *** the first time she will leave you hanging

Last edited:
Premium Features