• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil go BOOM!!!

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Well for you that don't know once again the knot came out in my handle rope went into recoil housing. Well started the sled with the strap around the clutch and rode like that for an hour or so then I herd some noises in the recoil and shut my sled off. Well tried to start the sled and it won't start now.

So today I was able to get the recoil off without pulling the motor. Opened it up and it doesn't look good at all.

1. Recoil is shot chunks of plastic missing springs are all chewed up into little pieces, Rope is ripped to pieces etc.

2. There is an thin layer of oil/grease over everything?

3. Flywheel has some pretty good nicks in it (sorry pictures are not that good)

4. I think they must be magnets that are over the stator think theres 2 of them. One is kinda bent up away from the stator, Think that could be bent back?

Really tired of putting money into this sled. What you all think I should do. Rebuild everything in there? Do I have to pull the motor to do everything in there? If I have to replace the stator and flywheel the sled will be down for the season:face-icon-small-sad

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2033.jpg

DSCF2030.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Well at the very least I would fix the sled to get it running....so you can get at least some coin for it. And yes it looks like you destroyed the pickups for your stator. Loosen the motor mounts lift the motor up and clean and replace. Its basically your only option right now...otherwise sell it to me for 20 bucks....goodluck

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Man, that REALLY sucks:(

Agreed with Jafraune, you gotta fix it one way or the other and as much as I hate to say it, that is something that could happen on any sled... not that its gonna make you feel any better about it.:(

I'd say comb through the parts counter and the swapmeet and see if you can find a used one on here, might save you a couple bucks....

Good luck buddy:beer;

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Will an 05 Stator and flywheel work on the 06. Ones i'm looking at he said they are new but he ordered them for an 05. They have about ten rides on them.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Sorry to hear about your failure.
I have to ask though...... where do you guys figure all that grease or oil came from.

M

mtnclmr

Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Had the same thing happen to a buddy week or two ago. His rope broke though. Tip of the day- tie a knot on both sides of the pull handle so when it comes loose the rope doesn't go bye bye!

W
May 27, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
Had the same thing happen to a buddy week or two ago. His rope broke though. Tip of the day- tie a knot on both sides of the pull handle so when it comes loose the rope doesn't go bye bye!
Been there done that mtnclmr, a close friend of mine told me to tie a knot on the pull rope and i did as he told me to do. Good thing, as the cheap plastic polaris handle broke and the rope recoiled back into the housing but the knot stopped the rope from going completely into the recoil housing. If you tie a knot make sure it is larger than the hole the rope feeds into.

B

Bruso

Jan 4, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Use a figure-8 knot on the back side. Its bigger then a over-hand knot. Have knot tried but will when i work on the machine here today :face-icon-small-hap

B

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Ok so I got everything apart but I can't get the wire from the stator to come through behind the motor. Feels like it's clamped to something. Am I going to have to pull the motor just to get this clamp or tie off????

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Ok so I got everything apart but I can't get the wire from the stator to come through behind the motor. Feels like it's clamped to something. Am I going to have to pull the motor just to get this clamp or tie off????

it IS clamped...there is a black split clamp on the wiring harness...its right next to the hole the MAG side rear motor mount bolt goes into...its a 10mm bolt...you might be able to get it from the fuel tank side...not sure..but i know its doable with motor installed...i always had the engine out when i removed it..

after the clamp is off, your good to go man.

hope everything goes well man..you NEED to get that baby going to bust some POW!

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Well I got the clamp off, new stator in wire ran. Can't get the clamp back on now lol. I know I need to get this thing going been down way to much this year.

Going to finish it up in the morning. I ran out of locktight and going to pick some more up in the morning when I go to the dealer. Going to have them rewind a new string on the recoil I got. Last time I did it I messed something up that caused this mess so I hope my dealer can figure it out. Was going to put the armorcord on it but don't want to wait for it to get here. Hope to ride a little tomorrow if it warms up.

Thanks for the info.

Premium Features