• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M1000 died!

09snopro

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2008
Shelley, ID
I have a 2009 M1000 Sno Pro with over 500 miles and the last couple of rides it has just died on me (once per ride). It has been after a hard pull on a hill and it acts just like I hit the kill switch, but that is not the case. I immediately pulled on the rope to make sure I didn't seize the motor and it pulls over just fine. I also through snow on the motor to see just how hot it was getting, and everything seemed just fine. There are no codes on the display either. It starts right back up, but it does run a little boggy for a while but then it cleans out and seems to be ok. Any suggests would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :face-icon-small-fro

B
Jan 20, 2009
what about air box issues? Maybe snow or somthing getting into it? My buddy had a 08 and it ran like garbage turned out his hise for his airbox just fell off.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
My guess is a burn down.

Pull your pipe and look in through your Y pipe at the exhaust side of your piston.

Sounds like a burn down to me. Hope not but been there done that. Exactly the same thing.

You can also pull your power valves out and get a pretty good look from there also.

Thunder

C
Feb 1, 2008
My M1000 would do the same thing after a hard pull up a hill. Scary and dangerous. My fix was to richen up the 3500-5000 rpm range. It was lean in the bottom and for some reason it would do exactly as you describe. Since the reflash I have had no problems. Do you have head, intake and pipe mods or is it stock? Stock I never had that problem but after the mods is when it began. Just a thought to hopefully help you out.:beer;

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
Water temp sensor. After a long pull and letting off or coming back down hill. About the only fix is put a switch inline one of the wires coming out of the sensor. The ECU will go full rich and act like a choke, it will flash code 06 (water temp sensor) but will go off once you flip the switch on again.

C
Feb 1, 2008
Now THAT'S what I want to hear.

Water temp sensor. After a long pull and letting off or coming back down hill. About the only fix is put a switch inline one of the wires coming out of the sensor. The ECU will go full rich and act like a choke, it will flash code 06 (water temp sensor) but will go off once you flip the switch on again.

That is about the best answer that I have heard to a question in a long time. Makes total sense. :beer;

M
Nov 21, 2007
cando, nd
had the same thing happen to my 09 m8, long pull, died coming down. took yellowstone arctic a day and a half to tell me it was really flooded, musta been the same sensor that went off?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
my 07 did that 3 times last year, it was trying to burn down and did on the third time. happened at unusual times and ran great the rest of the time. did you hear any pinging. If its not a burn down or temp sensor, check your smart valves and your injector wires for worn spots that might be grounding.

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
burn down

Pull your pipe and look in through your Y pipe at the exhaust side of your piston.

Sounds like a burn down to me. Hope not but been there done that. Exactly the same thing.

You can also pull your power valves out and get a pretty good look from there also.

Thunder
09 m1000, same thing has happened 3 times this year. ran perfect at 4000 ft , jumped up to 5000 ft long pull stops like you hit the kill switch pulled y pipe light scuffing on mag side. sled would fire run crappy then away she goes like nothing happened. 09 mapping seems inconsistent. runs great for afew rides then down she goes.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I am having similar issues with my 08 M1k after the reflash. This last weekend I was making a pull and in the middle of the hill it just died, it did it twice before I make it out. Then after that I couldn't get it to rev past 4000 RPM's like something is retarding the ignition, I know its getting fuel cause the plugs are black. If I let it cool down for 10 minutes it will run good for a few minutes the bog and die. The only way I could get it to run was by packing snow on the voltage regulator and I was still getting weird problems like injector errors and my oil light came on once. I think this reflash is causing these issues as I have never had any issues with this sled prior to the reflash.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
My 08 died on me about 15-20 miles after the reflash on a pull.
Missed, then died... No spark.
Trigger coil #1 on the stator is bad... It is an open line and should be like 10.8 ohms of resistance. I couln't see any broken windings.
Dealer is contacting cat today to see if they will help.
Sled is out of warranty:mad:
I stripped everything off, including the gas tank to check for rubbed through or shorted wires... Didn't have any issues that way, but I will definately route some wires differently to help minimise the risk.
The wires to the servo motor run under the fuel tank and are flat as a pancake.
Unfortunately I don't see any other way to route the wires under the tank.

09snopro

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2008
Shelley, ID
Update

K I just got the sled back from my dealer and it ended up to be a burn down on the mag side. He said it actually looked like it was a cold seize. Everything else checked out good and now I am up and running again. :D This site is a really a good tool with everyone giving there own experiences and advice. THANKS!

L
Dec 13, 2008
Had the same thing happen. Did it to me 2 times once on a long full throtal run the second time after a long pull up a hill turned around an started back down it killed like i hit the kill switch fired right back up both times took it home pulled the y pipe had scuffs on front of piston p.t.o. Side. Pulled head and jug it had grabed all four corners of the piston looked like a cold seize but temp was up both times. Noticed both pistons looked dryer than normal top of pistons were clean no pitts. Earlier this year i ajusted my oiler it was runnig at 28:1 ajusted to 36:1 decided it was a lack of oil seize. Tured the oiler back to 28:1 i havent had any more trouble. 28:1 was the stock setting everybody is *****en about how much oil their sleds are using and the oil isent cheap but its still cheper than pistons and jugs. I no alot of people are turning their oilrs down.

D
Jan 27, 2008
It sounds to me like the motor is loading up. Are you stopping right after the climb? I bet if you work the throttle for a bit after climbing the problem won't happen. Classic high fuel pressure M problem.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I am having similar issues with my 08 M1k after the reflash. This last weekend I was making a pull and in the middle of the hill it just died, it did it twice before I make it out. Then after that I couldn't get it to rev past 4000 RPM's like something is retarding the ignition, I know its getting fuel cause the plugs are black. If I let it cool down for 10 minutes it will run good for a few minutes the bog and die. The only way I could get it to run was by packing snow on the voltage regulator and I was still getting weird problems like injector errors and my oil light came on once. I think this reflash is causing these issues as I have never had any issues with this sled prior to the reflash.

This sounds a lot like stuck power valves. Look at the servo motor and see if the cables are loose at the motor. If they are, clean the power valves so they will move freely.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Same thing is happening to my sled

Oh this sounds exactly like mine. This reflash is crap.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
K I just got the sled back from my dealer and it ended up to be a burn down on the mag side. He said it actually looked like it was a cold seize. Everything else checked out good and now I am up and running again. :D This site is a really a good tool with everyone giving there own experiences and advice. THANKS!

Unless the dealer changes something it will do it again!

Been there done that. Installed the EGT guages after the second one. Scared the crap out of my self when I seen the EGT temps bouncing over 1300. Installed a BD box and now have the temps undercontrol.

I would bet a grand that it would have burned to the ground agian if I didn't have the guages installed to keep an eye on it.

I have know idea why I had to install 800 dollars worth of parts, EGT's, BD box to keep this sled running. But the fact is I am tired of fighting with Cat to get it right so these two items have it under control.

Good luck, and my suggestion is put some guages on it now.

Thunder

Premium Features